86. Sorcerers

The presenter shuffled on stage to thank everyone for coming and the curtains close, leaving Daphne, Tony and Art Class on stage, cut off from the audience.
"So, Daph, kid, whaddaya say?" There's a sparkle in Tony's eyes and he looks at her with a smug smile. Daphne stares at him wide eyed. Tony snorts and pats her shoulder. "Yeah, no need to thank me, I know I'm awesome." Daphne sputters, taking a step towards him.
"Bu-"
"And there's nothing to forgive." He interrupts her. "I also know I'm an asshole." Daphne shakes her head and scoffs with a chuckle.
"Asshole with a heart." Tony looks at her surprised and presses his lips on top of each other. He's used to being showered with compliments, but this one somehow hits differently. Maybe because the heart thing is Pepper's and his gag.

One corner of Tony's mouth curls up and he collects himself, rolling his shoulders and clapping once. He rubs his hands together and looks around the group.
"So, who am I seeing at the gala tonight?" Realization finally hits the other performers backstage that none other than Tony Stark is on their stage. Within reach. They all rush to get to him. His face lights up in feigned surprise and he looks at Daphne.
"Help me!" He mouths as an ambush of students washes over him. Daphne's eyebrows raise as she laughs and moves to take a few steps away from him.
"Sorry, asshole," she mouths back, making him laugh until he realizes there's no way out of this mess.
"Daph, need Happy, stat!" He shouts over the crowd. However, he does give all the teens his undivided attention afterwards.

...

Daphne ignores her old classmates when they call her back on stage as she rushes to the exit of the backstage area towards the foyer. Where the hell would Happy be? She's only met the guy once and that was super brief! Shouldn't he be with Tony at all times?

Daphne pushes to open the door with force, but just when she rushes through, she accidentally runs into someone. She's bounced backwards against the door and she looks up shocked.
"Happy!" she exclaims as she recognizes the man in front of her.
"Where's Tony?" is all he asks. He's slightly bent forward and he's holding out his hands as if he's going to catch a football. It looks rather amusing. Daphne glances back at where she came from.
"On stage," she replies quickly. Happy nods once and pushes past her, leaving her stunned. That happened a little too quickly for her to process.

Just when Daphne's about to walk back to the backstage area, she's stopped by a gentle hand on her shoulder. Daphne jolts and looks back at the person who's touching her. It's a woman. Beautiful. She has a chiseled jawline, black hair and bright blue eyes. She seems familiar.
"Hey," the lady says softly. Her grin gives away her identity. Daphne relaxes and smiles back as Loki's hand leaves her shoulder.
"Hey." Daphne eyes Lady Loki's entire appearance and gestures at her. "Isn't this a little obvious?"
"Perhaps," Lady Loki chuckles. "I have caught your boyfriend staring at me a few times." She leans in with a smirk. "Jealous?"

Daphne scoffs.
"Ha! Funny," she says as she cocks her head. "He could probably smell your Asgardian ass the second you walked into the building." It's Loki's turn to laugh now.
"My 'Asgardian ass' smells very nice, thank you." Daphne rolls her eyes.
"You're unbelievable."
"I'll take that as a compliment." Loki smiles wide. There's a short, pleasant silence.
"So," Daphne says, raising her eyebrows. "Did you enjoy the performance?" Before Loki speaks, Daphne makes a little jump with a grin, and adds: "And don't lie, I know when you do."
"This might have been the longest afternoon of my life, I have to say," Loki scoffs. "Did not care for most of it." Daphne's shoulders droop slightly, so Loki continues quickly, not wanting to make Daphne feel bad. "However, I greatly enjoyed every second you were on stage."

Daphne looks back up at Loki with a soft expression.
"You did?" Loki nods.
"I believe you even did a Firebird, correct?" Daphne nods quickly, her excitement returning to her.
"Yeah!" She says with a bright smile. She cocks her head at Loki. "Though, that was already in the choreography. Don't think I put it in for you!"
"I would not dare," Loki chuckles. "However, there is a slight tingle in my stomach. You're not lying, but you're not saying the truth either." Loki playfully cocks an eyebrow, making Daphne go red.
"Well, I-" She pauses. "I did think about you when I did the Firebird."
"Ah, how sweet," Loki coos. Daphne waves her hand.
"Oh, fuck off," she laughs. Loki wiggles her eyebrows once and gives Daphne a kind smile.