98. Guardian Angel

"Can you put in a LITTLE more effort to find these kids?!" Tony is ready to throw his tablet at Nick. The man has been a bother to say the least and it's been two hours since Daphne and Peter went missing. "You lost them!"
"I'm not the one who sent an inexperienced teen to get her out of the zoo?" Fury cocks an eyebrow, seemingly unfazed by Tony's frustration. "We found their jackets, but we have no idea where to search for them." The billionaire whips his head to face the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and he takes big strides until he stands in Nick Fury's personal space.
"Where's her jacket?!"

...

It's been a few hours. Peter managed to bind David with Daphne's help and he's still unconscious. Now, Peter and Daphne are spooning in the corner of the room. Daphne's seated between Peter's legs and has her back pressed against his chest. His chin rests on her shoulder and he wrapped himself around her. His body temperature is higher than that of a regular person, but the current outside temperature and the fact that this cabin has nothing to keep the weather conditions out is starting to affect him. They're both shivering. David took their coats and left them with short sleeves in the mountains somewhere across the globe. The chances of this ending badly are big.

They already exchanged apologies and bantered about whose fault it was that they're in this situation, but there's nothing left for them to say. All they can do is try to keep each other warm with each other's body heat and rocking back and forth. Peter notices Daphne's muscles are losing tension. She's freezing and her body seems to be giving up.
"Stay with me, Daph," he mumbles against her. His own exhaustion is evident through the way he speaks. Daphne responds with a simple hum. "Dove," he whispers. His eyes flutter open and he stares at his wrist. He's been mulling over a plan to stay warm, but he's unsure how much he could handle. How long it would take for him to lose consciousness. If it goes wrong Daphne really won't have any means of staying warm anymore.

He takes a short breath and moves his hands together. He can't really feel his fingers anymore, but they graze over the regulator on his wrist.
"What are you doing?" Daphne mumbles. Before she can process his plan, Peter switches off the regulator. The burning heat immediately shoots through his entire body. The two of them are pressed together and he whines softly as he shuffles to embrace Daphne even tighter. He's warming up. And she can use him as her personal heater. He's just going to have to bite through the pain.
"Pete, stop," she protests weakly. "You'll get hurt."
"Don't worry," he groans. He presses his forehead against the back of her neck and clenches his teeth on top of each other. His heartbeat quickens and he starts to pant. His muscles tense and he squeezes his eyes shut, focusing very hard on making sure he's not actually hurting Daphne with his strength as his body involuntarily jolts a few times. He takes a sharp breath and utters the words Daphne hasn't heard in a while. "I got you."

...

Tony frantically searches all the pockets of Daphne's winter wear. He finds her house keys, her phone and her subway card...
"No, no, no-" he mumbles. "Where is it?!"
"Stark, if you tell me what you're looking for then maybe we can help." Tony frowns, still not trusting Nick Fury, but they found the jackets. Maybe they overlooked something.
"Remember that Asgardian silver you found in Daphne's bag last time?" When Tony looks up to face Fury, he already knows what's up. Nick put up his 'I'm a super spy' poker face. Tony hates that face. It's Nick's way of saying he has secrets he won't be sharing.
"Yeah, what about it?" Nick angles his head and Tony stands up straight, cracking his back.
"I need it."
"What for?"
"Reasons."
"Don't be a child, Stark, tell me what's going on." Fury crosses his arms. "You still haven't told me what's up with the girl"

"Where's the silver, Fury," Tony drops the jacket and squares up. Fury simply raises his eyebrows and stares at Tony through half lidded eyes.
"How about we strike a deal?"
"I don't strike deals anymore. Pep's the CEO, remember?" Tony rolls his eyes.
"You tell me everything there is to know about Daphne. I'll get you that silver."
"So, you have it?"
"Classified."
"Fuck you."