58. Birthday Girl

Stark had Bruce check on Daphne's physical health before he allowed her to leave. Tony made her put his number on speed dial, for if any emergencies happened to occur again. Or, when... Apparently, Strange had confirmed that the mist had indeed left earth, so they didn't need to be super wary anymore. Daphne decided to not voice that she'd rather have another word with the mist. He knows more about her than she does. He has answers. Now she's just left with questions and she absolutely hates it. Her mind had raced to Loki. He probably knows more too. She made a mental note to ask him when he visits in November. If she even could with that stupid spell resting on her.

Fortunately, Daphne remembered she had her extra pointe class that Saturday. Madame Touha was going to teach her the basic choreography for Swanilda. The quicker she had the solo down, the more time she would have to focus on the pas de deux with Peter. He needs all the extra help he can get. They only have two months left to study the choreography and practice all the difficult stuff and Peter still had a long way to go.

Peter walked Daphne to the ballet school and she'd urged him to not come in. Madame Touha hates it when people come in to just sit and watch, so she doesn't allow it.
"What time are you done? I can pick you up if you want," Peter asks as he holds on to both her hands. Daphne glances inside, hoping Madame Touha isn't watching them.
"I don't know, Pete. Could be two hours, could be later tonight..."
"I could wait outside?"
"Please don't," she replies softly. "I know you're shaken up from what happened yesterday, but if I can't do anything alone anymore, I'd combust on the spot. I only just got rid of David."

The joke didn't land right and Peter frowns. Did she just compare him being protective to her stalker? He can see on her face that she didn't like the comment she blurted out either.
"I- I didn't mean it like that," she adds quickly.
"I just don't want you to get hurt," he mumbles in a serious tone. He takes a step closer to her and she smiles apologetically at him, thankful that he didn't address her comment.
"I know, I know. But the mist is gone." She presses a kiss on his hands. "Go on patrol or something. Get your mind off things."
"Bu-"
"I'm going to do the same," she interrupts him. She gestures with her head towards the ballet school and takes a breath.

Daphne looks down and bites the inside of her cheek.
"I'm sorry for making you worry." His hands immediately let go of hers so he can hold her face.
"It's okay, Daph. Really." His thumbs caress her cheekbones and she closes her eyes.
"I'm just trying to get things back to normal as fast as possible. And that involves doing things by myself." She opens her eyes to look at his concerned face.
"I understand."
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be," he mutters. Before he can say something else, she presses her lips against his in a smooth, soft kiss. His hands let go of her face and he wraps his arms around her. Her hands roam over his body until she can pull him in for a tight hug. Daphne chuckles when their mouths disconnect. She licks her teeth with her mouth closed, tasting the mint of his tooth paste.
"Yeah, I like our kisses better after we brush our teeth."

...

Daphne got her wish. Everything went back to normal at an almost alarming rate. Nothing special happened for weeks on end. Peter improved rapidly with the choreography and before the fourth pas de deux class was over, they were already practicing turning. Homework was difficult, but what else is new at Midtown Tech. It became a habit for Peter and Daphne to spend Sundays together to do homework, as he tends to patrol on Saturday and Daphne has her private classes with Madame Touha.

Depending on whose house they were studying at, they always stayed over for dinner and spent the evenings just hanging out and talking. Occasionally, Daphne would try to bring up what happened at the Halloween party, hoping the spell would wear off over time. Unfortunately, it didn't. She even ended up in tears once; the frustration of her uncooperative brain becoming too much. Peter told her to not try anymore. That it was okay. That answers would come when it was time. Daphne didn't want to wait for that, but she can't do much about it.