102. The Summer Retreat

Daphne's bags slip from her fingers and land on the floor with a soft thud as she stares at the marvel that is Mr. Stark's Summer retreat. It's on the West-Coast, California, and it's a modern interior designer's wet dream. The floor plan was spacious and open, just like the Avengers Tower penthouse. Windows cover the entire length of the room, granting a beautiful view of the ocean and Tony's private beach. It's times like these where Daphne is confronted with how ridiculously loaded Mr. Stark is.

"So, you're planning on sleeping in the living room or what?" Tony quips as he nods at Daphne's luggage with his eyebrows raised. Daphne blinks a few times to collect herself, rolls her shoulders and picks her bags back up.
"Nah, I'm just... Fuck, you're rich." Tony snorts and walks past her into the living space. He raises one shoulder and snaps his fingers playfully, activating F.R.I.D.A.Y. Peter sneaks in from behind Daphne and smiles as he easily takes her bags from her. Daphne, still completely distracted by the house, doesn't even realize.

Tony glances at her worried. She doesn't look great. Heck, she looks awful. Her skin is paler than usual, cheeks sunken in, there are dark circles under her eyes and she doesn't carry herself like she used to. She was thin before, but she was practically a skeleton with skin at this point. Tony caught wind of Madame Touha not allowing her to practice the week before her vacation because she was physically not up to par to dance. Daphne needs this break more than anyone and he can't help but hope with his entire heart that whoever or whatever decides her fate will grant her this one week off.

Peter's been here once before, so he easily finds his way through the maze of hallways to drop their bags in one room. He then points Derek to his room. Derek was a lot easier to convince to let Daphne and Peter share a bed than Tony. Derek knew Peter had secretly been sleeping over to calm Daphne down at night. Her father couldn't be more grateful for the hero's kindness. Tony needed a little more to be persuaded.
"No funny business in my house," he'd said. Though, Peter guessed Tony probably said that to sound like a responsible adult. Peter had told him about Daphne having nightmares. She never wanted to talk about them or what they were about but Tony knew like no other what it's like to be tortured by your own mind at night. Having Pepper next to him, saved him from Afghanistan, or the wormhole more often than not.

Daphne's hand glides over the marble of the kitchen counter as she walks towards the long row of windows. The weather is absolutely amazing and when she finally stands in front of it, she takes in the stunning view for a few seconds and closes her eyes, relishing in the golden warmth of the sun on her skin.
"Zephyr..." Daphne's eyes shoot open and in her reflection, Ravir stands right behind her, a golden hand resting on Daphne's shoulder. Daphne flinches and takes a step to the side, looking back to find the golden sorceress not there. She takes a deep, unsteady breath and takes another step back, out of the sun. Tony cocks an eyebrow at her.
"You okay, kid?" Daphne swallows and stands frozen, her eyes flicking across the window, looking for Ravir in the reflection again. But she's not there anymore.
"Yeah," Daphne mutters. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Tony scrunches his face and clears his throat in discontent. Daphne really needs this break.
"Who's ready to partyyy?!" Sam throws his bags on one of the white couches, and Steve and Bucky walk in right behind him. When he notices Daphne's expression, he immediately drops his arms and raises his eyebrows. "Sorry, did we interrupt something?" Tony meets Daphne's anxious gaze and immediately jumps in.
"Nah, nope," he says while walking past Daphne towards the kitchen. He grabs a champagne from the fridge and some glasses from the cupboard. "All's good." Daphne bites the inside of her cheek and steals another glance at the window. She sniffs once and hugs herself. When she turns back to the small group, she's startled to find Bucky standing right in front of her. His metal arm reflects the sun light, blinding her occasionally as he flexes, and he looks down on her with a frown.
"Sure you're alright, doll?" he asks. Doll. Tony explained to her that's what guys called girls back in the day. And Steve mentioned that Bucky hasn't called anyone that since... Well... Back in the day.

Daphne knows Bucky's been eyeing her lately. He once walked into her napping on the couch at Avengers Tower and whatever she said during that sleep, made him ghost around her more. He never really said much and never asked any questions. He just kept an eye on her. And though some might find it creepy, Daphne felt... Safer, somehow. He knows what mind control does to a person, so he must understand she's afraid of Somm. That must be the reason why he's around her more. Nothing else.

"Peachy," Daphne pushes out, quickly pressing her lips on top of each other. Bucky sucks at his teeth. She knows he doesn't believe her. She wouldn't believe her either. But no one has to know about Ravir. There's no reason why Daphne should have to explain the sorceress 'in her head'. It's not important... Right? Bucky cocks his head, but nods and steps aside. When Daphne wants to walk away, his metal hand grabs hold of her upper arm, stopping her in her tracks. She looks up at him confused.
"You can talk to me," he says softly. There's sadness behind his eyes. Daphne purses her lips.
"I can talk to anyone," she replies. It comes out a bit more snarky than she'd hoped, but it made him let go of her, which is all she really wanted. Daphne quickly breaks eye contact and walks through the door Peter just left in, trying to ignore the prying eyes on her back.

...

"What was that all about?" Tony tosses a small raspberry in his mouth and pulls a face when it turns out to be sour. Bucky's eyes haven't left the door yet. His expression is stern and his left eye twitches.
"I think someone's already inside her head," is all he says. All the present Avengers immediately turn their heads to look at the door Daphne just walked through as well.
"What?" Sam gets up from the couch, leaving his belongings behind. "How do you know?"
"Two weeks ago..." Bucky says softly.

...