24. Diagnosis

Peter walks into the room with his laptop not much later and he gently puts it down on the bed at Daphne's feet.
"Hey," he says softly.
"Hi."
"You okay?"
"I think so..."
"What did he do?" Peter asks, referring to Doctor Strange.
"I dunno, felt like he was probing around in my head."
"Sounds uncomfortable."
"It was." She stares at her hands as a silence falls. Peter stands there awkwardly. He wants to say something, but he doesn't really know what. "I'm sorry for making you worry," she whispers.

"Hey..." He sits down on his knees next to the bed and takes her hands out of her lap. His thumb rubs slow circles on her skin. "It's okay, it's not your fault. Don't be sorry."
"But I am, though."
"I know," he sighs, understanding. "But it's really okay, I promise. You're here now. You're safe. All is good." She stares into his kind eyes. He looks absolutely exhausted.
"Loki would have killed David if he didn't leave," Daphne says suddenly, aiming to answer all the questions Peter has about this. "David wouldn't leave without a kiss." Peter frowns and nods, understanding why she did it. He looks at her hands, which he's still holding.
"And he left?"
"As far as I know, yes." It's quiet for a second.

Peter's thoughts race through his mind. She kissed David. She really kissed him. Even though she's fears him like nothing else, she did it. To save his life.
"Did... Did you like kissing him?"
"God, no." Daphne moves away, revolted by the memory. She shivers. "It was a peck. No tongue. And even that felt like too much." She then sighs. "But I couldn't let him die." Peter smiles at her.
"You're very brave, you know that?"
"I think stubborn's the word you're looking for."
"Stubbornly brave," he laughs softly. His expression softens as he looks at her again. "I, uh... I brought my laptop."
"I see that."
"We were going to watch Manon tonight, but I'm not sure if you're in the mood for that right now?"
"I'd rather watch something mind numbing," she admits.
"La Sylphide?" She smiles at his proposition.
"Yes, please."

Peter quickly opens his laptop and browses around his files to find the right one. He preps a chair next to her bed but Daphne slowly lifts her sheets.
"Is the regulator charged enough for you to join me?"
"Mr. Stark worked all night to make the regulator we discussed, so it should charge when I touch you instead of drain."
"He...?"
"Yeah." Peter smiles at his feet. They both stare at the laptop screen as he opens the right file.
"So, are you gonna get in or what?" Daphne cocks her head at Peter, who now turns red.
"I mean, only if you want to."
"I offered, you doofus," she laughs. "Just don't touch my back, please." She winces at the thought. She's completely bandaged right now, but the wound needs time to heal. It still stings when she moves.
"I won't, I promise." He takes off his sneakers and throws them in the corner.

He swiftly gets in and Daphne covers him with the sheets. She lays down next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder. She has to remember to not lay on her back, so having Peter there to support her was actually quite nice. Instinctively, she wraps her arm around his waist, not noticing how he tenses under her touch for a split second. He can barely believe what's happening. The way he can feel her chest rise and fall with her breathing is strangely intimate. The warmth she gives him doesn't burn anymore. It's pleasant. Trusting. Peaceful, somehow. The music of the ballet fills the room, but not even fifteen minutes after it started, they're both snoring softly as they're cuddled up to each other.

...

"She's a channeling device, Tony!" Stephen Strange raises his eyebrows in disbelief. "Or whatever the human version of that is." He shakes his head at the thought.
"A what now?" Tony frowns confused, leaning back in his office chair. "You're telling me she's not human?"
"She's human, just not... just human." Stephen's face contorts. "She was touched by two powerful magics in a short time span as a child. One that kills and one that gives life. It turned her into a bearer of magic that can be channeled and used."
"Can she use it?" Tony asks. It's just the two of them in Tony's office.
"No, as far as I know, she can't control it. She only carries it with her." He turns back to Tony.

"This is bad, Tony. It means she could become the target of a collector, or someone who wants to use a strong spell."
"Explain."
"Sometimes magic wielders need a little more magic to make powerful spells reality. We use objects that carry magic inside them to give us that extra push. Sometimes we use natural elements, like a full moon or fire." Stephen shakes his head. "I've only read about people as a means of channeling magic once, but I've never seen one in real life. It's incredibly rare."
"How did you know, then?" Tony spins in his chair, seeming disinterested. However, his mind is running fast.
"I felt I could draw from her the second I walked into that room."
"Should we tell her?"
"No." Stephen takes a step towards Tony. "The more people know, the more in danger she'll be. This has to stay between us."

"Loki probably knows."
"Loki is the one who turned her into a channeling, er... person, device, whichever- doesn't matter. Whether he did it on purpose or by accident is not important. He used his life's magic to heal her. He's not a threat to her, he couldn't kill her if he tried."
"You mean she's immune to him?"
"He can hurt her but he can't kill her without harming himself."
"Jesus Christ," Tony pushes out his breath as he gets up from his desk. "What do we do?"
"Ignore it."
"Excuse me?"
"As long as no one else knows about this, she will be safe." Stephen crosses his arms and scratches his beard.
"Then why tell me?" Tony walks around his desk towards Stephen.
"Because I need you to know."
"Stop riddling and just tell me why." Stephen groans with frustration. Why does Tony always ask so many questions?!
"Maybe one day I will be tempted to use her." He frowns at the thought. He's already disgusted just thinking of the possibility. "Someone needs to know and I need someone I trust."
"And you trust me?" Tony raises an eyebrow, amused at the thought.
"I trust you enough. If it ever comes to it, you will have to talk sense into me."
"Why?"
"Channeling her could kill her."