46. Cup

As expected, they didn't really talk much over dinner. May kept asking questions about Daphne's life, trying to lighten the mood, but nothing was really working. Her answers were short and to the point, not leaving any room to build further onto a conversation. Peter was tense and didn't say anything at all. He felt like any word he'd say would be a word too much. He can't pretend whatever just happened in his room didn't actually happen. They need to talk about the situation, but he doesn't want to do it with May right there. He settles on just listening to the struggling interview. For now.

When they finish their plates, Daphne stands up and brings her dishes to the kitchen.
"Oh, Daph, don't worry about that, I'll handle that. You two probably need to talk things over," May says as she waves her hand. Daphne turns away and looks down as she sets her plate on the counter.
"Actually," she mumbles. "I think I need some time to process... Everything." Peter and May look at her as another awkward silence falls. Daphne takes a breath and clears her throat. She turns back to the Parkers and nods while pointing at the door with her thumbs. "Thanks for the dinner, but I'm gonna go."

Peter stands up quickly, nearly tipping over his chair.
"Do you want me to walk you home?" Her face contorts.
"I don't know... I..." She frowns and walks to the coat rack. Peter wants to follow, but he stops in his tracks when she takes her coat and puts it on. "I'm just... I'm just gonna go." She doesn't look at Peter or May. She quickly heads to the door and opens it. "It was nice to meet you, May. I'm sorry." Daphne makes her way out and Peter and May stare at the now closed door. All of that happened a little too quickly for them.

May blinks a few times and stands up too, taking the other plates and cutlery. She puts everything on the counter in the kitchen, next to where Daphne put her plate. Peter still stares at the door, silently hoping that Daphne's going to walk back in. He knows she won't, yet he can't move. May sighs and walks to Peter's bedroom.

The Spider-Man suit is suddenly dropped at Peter's feet. He looks at it confused.
"Go." May says from the other side of the room. Peter turns his head to her.
"Go?" he repeats.
"After her, of course!"
"Bu-"
"She needs answers, Pete. Walking away from this only gives her more questions. Find her, talk to her." May walks up to Peter and places her hand on his shoulder. She presses her lips together in an encouraging smile. She then bends to pick up the suit she just threw at him and pushes it into his hands. She squeezes his shoulders before giving him a little pat. "Go," she says softly. Peter's jaw tightens in resolution and he nods. Though, he gives back the suit. He's going to do this without Spider-Man.

...

Daphne is in a rush to get home. It's already dark out and she's really not in the mood to be in public. She looks at her feet as she walks, grateful that it's not raining like it did earlier that day. However, it's still achingly cold. She's also incredibly frustrated with herself. She just needs to get to her bed and cry out whatever she's feeling right now. Her brain is replaying all the memories she has with him. With Peter. With Spider-Man.

It hurts how obvious it was from day one. And she was stupid enough to never make the connection. He must think she's an idiot too. Anybody would've caught on. Even Madame Touha figured it out and she didn't spend nearly as much time with Peter as Daphne did. 

Daphne's thoughts get interrupted when she bumps into someone. The warm beverage they were holding, falls to the ground. Luckily for them its contents splash away from them. Daphne takes a quick step backwards, and immediately apologizes.
"Oh God, I'm so sorry." She scrambles to pick up the now empty cup. The man she ran into isn't as angry as she thought he would be. Another thing she's grateful for. She looks up at him. 

The man's brown hair looks unwashed and is long enough to touch his shoulders, if it weren't so tousled. Daphne guesses his eyes are a dark brown, but they look black. He has a thick stubble. Or a short beard, she isn't really sure which one of the two applies. He's tall and lean, and he wears a sleek, fancy coat. She feels odd around him. He's giving off bad vibes.
"That's alright," the man says. His voice is... weird. It's soft, in a way. But deep and dark, like his eyes. It's almost inhuman, but hey, she shouldn't judge. She can't place his accent, though. Canadian? She's unsure. "Mind buying me a new one?"

Daphne blinks and then sighs as she longingly looks at the subway station that's only two blocks ahead. She gets slightly irritated when she realizes this is probably a cheap pick up trick, which also makes that man a pervert. He's at least 35.
"I... eh..."
"Come on, that's the least you could do." She looks back at him. He was awfully direct and she isn't having it. She puts the cup on the nearest surface and opens her bag. She takes out her wallet and hands him ten dollars.
"That should cut it."
"I will not have you pay more than necessary."
"How much was it then? I got change."
"Why don't you come with me to the coffee shop and you can pay the cashier?"

The man cocks his head and a weird feeling runs through her. He seems to look straight into her soul. It's like he's holding her hostage with his intense stare. Somehow the suggestion tugs at her head. As if it's trying to change her opinion of him. She realizes she wants to say yes, but takes a breath. No. It's wrong. He's wrong. Why would she want to go with him? She blinks a few times and shakes her head, making a mental note not to look at him anymore. Maybe that'll make him go away.

"I just wanna go home. Take the money and leave me alone, I'm not in the mood for this crap." She holds out her hand with the ten dollars and looks at the cup she placed down. There's a name written on it, but the cup is turned away from her too much to see it properly. He laughs softly.
"Alright, I know when to quit." Daphne frowns as he takes the money out of her hand. He doesn't touch her. She feels like he's lying, but hopes that he'll at least leave her alone. "Hope your mood becomes less sour." She puffs her cheeks at his remark. Who the fuck does he think he is?!

Daphne turns back to give him a snarky reply, but he's already gone. She looks around and then spots him walking into the nearest coffee shop. He's grinning. She shakes her head and scoffs as he disappears into the building. What a fucking ass. She shoves her wallet into her bag and grabs the cup from the surface.

Daphne is many things, but not a litterer, so, she walks to the nearby bin and throws the cup into it. Daphne didn't bother checking his name, she'd rather forget she even met him. She continues her quick pace towards the subway as the cup lays at the bottom of the trash can. The letters reading Somm.