80. Promises

Stephen lies on the stairs of the Sanctum, staring at the high ceiling of the staircase. At the bottom, Maria Hill taps her foot impatiently. She's been questioning him for about twenty minutes now, but he still hasn't moved from his unconventional resting spot. His hair is tousled and his clothes disheveled. His trusty cloak floats next to him in a protective manner. Stephen's eyes flick towards a window a few flights up when his security spell warns him someone else is coming in. He scoffs softly. Spider-Man.

Peter stays hidden from Mrs. Hill and Doctor Strange, but scoots close enough to overhear the conversation. It took him some effort to find his way through the absolute mess the Sanctum is in. Broken glass is scattered on the floor, as are many of the collectibles and sacred objects. Someone wrecked the place.

"I told you, Hill, there was an energy surge that needed taking care of, so I brought it to the Himalayas," Stephen groans. "I couldn't stop it from splitting the mountain in two." Peter gratefully closes his eyes. Stephen's protecting Daphne.
"And you are absolutely positive this won't be happening again?" Hill asks sternly. It's quiet for a few seconds.
"Yes." Maria scoffs at his weak reply.
"Very convincing, Strange."
"I will do everything I can to ensure it won't happen again. Now leave my Sanctum."

Maria's heels click on the floor as she makes her way to the exit as she speaks.
"We'll be watching you, Doctor." It's Stephen's turn to scoff.
"As if you didn't already." The S.H.I.E.L.D. agent loudly shuts the door and Stephen sighs audibly. "Come out, Peter," he says after a little while, startling the young spider.

Carefully, Peter makes his way down the stairs, evading the curtains that have seemingly been ripped off the wall. His eyes go wide when he sees the sorcerer laying on the stairs like a starfish.
"Doctor Strange!" He rushes towards the slumped body. "Are you okay?"
"A little tired, is all," Stephen sighs as he absentmindedly waves one hand.
"What happened to the Sanctum?" Doctor Strange glares at Peter.
"Do you have any idea how much it hurts to hold that much energy inside?" Peter bites the inside of his cheek before he replies.
"I... I kinda do, actually."
"Sure, kid." Stephen closes his eyes again and lets out another sigh. "I've never felt anything like it before."

Peter cocks his head. It sounds like Stephen didn't hate the feeling. Like he enjoyed it. Stephen whines slightly when he sits upright. His cloak helps him stand up and he raises his eyebrows at Peter. Stephen walks up the stairs and Spider-Man follows until they're both standing opposite the war zone that Stephen created. "See those small boxes?" He gestures at a few cubes, scattered on the floor. "Tried to put Daphne's energy in there."
"But it didn't work?" Peter tugs at his mask to take it off. Stephen stares at the mess he made.
"It backfired. Quite literally."

Stephen's cloak moves to rest on his shoulders, so he can float over all the scattered items.
"I'm expecting quite the lecture from Wong when he returns." Stephen pushes his hands through his hair to tame it.
"What happened...? Exactly?" Peter's voice is a mixture of worry and curiosity as he follows the doctor. Stephen rolls his eyes.
"I couldn't contain the power, so the only thing I could think to do was go somewhere deserted to let it all out."
"And then you split a mountain in two."
"By accident!" Stephen exclaims frustrated. Peter looks down at his feet with his eyebrows raised.
"Does that mean you could've destroyed New York if you'd stayed here?" He almost doesn't dare to look back up at Strange, but does so anyways. Stephen's face contorts.
"Most likely."

Stephen picks up one of the cubes and looks at it while Peter fiddles with the mask in his hands.
"Don't you usually create illusions? Wouldn't it have less of an impact if you did that?" Peter asks quietly. Doctor Strange looks up at Peter and presses his lips on top of each other.
"I tried," he sighs. "Her energy only works with physical magic. Practical. Nature. Yada, yada." He waves his hand again, a bit more frantically this time. "My best guess is that that's the case because she was created through practical magic."
"The thunder strike?" Stephen nods once.
"So, no illusionary magic. Or mind stuff. Only things you can physically touch."

Doctor Strange's shoulders droop while Peter's trying to process what the sorcerer is telling him.
"I won't be going near her ever again, you can tell her I promise that." He frowns at the floor for a few seconds, making Peter shuffle in his place. He's going to say something else. Peter can feel it. When they lock eyes, goose bumps spread over Peter's entire body. "But if I do... go near her again..." Peter's eyes go slightly wider at the implication that Strange might not be able to control himself. "Knock me out."

...

"Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaphne!" Betty practically jumps on top of Daphne when the friend group spots her and Peter walking into the school on Monday morning. "Welcome back!" Daphne laughs sheepishly as Peter moves to stand between Betty and Daphne.
"Careful- concussion's not yet gone," he says seriously. Ned notices Peter's carrying both his and Daphne's backpack and rolls his eyes with a grin. Betty pulls a face and leans on one foot to give Daphne a reassuring smile.
"Move it, bodyguard." MJ pulls at Peter's shirt until they can all see Daphne again. MJ nods once and keeps her head angled up slightly, looking at Daphne through hooded eyes. "S'up."

...

By the end of the day, Daphne was exhausted. However, it's not long until the Christmas performance and Daphne can't afford to miss any more classes. She's going to have to work extra hard this week if she wants to shine at the Christmas performance this Sunday. Especially now that Peter has also missed a week of dance classes. He's needs the extra practice more than anyone, really.

Peter hates to admit he's reluctant to go to the ballet school. He doesn't want Daphne to overwork herself, which she's clearly already doing on day one of being back at school.
"Are you sure about this, Daph?" He tries changing her mind again as she practically drags him up the stairs in front of the school. On Monday, the youngest students dance. Parents flood the building. Daphne pushes through them and aims for the only empty dance hall in the school.
"One-hundred percent," she replies with confidence as they walk into the hall. She closes the door behind them and continues dragging him into the room. "No, wait, one-hundred-twenty percent."

Peter frowns and stops walking, which results in Daphne being unable to pull him any further. It looks quite comical, as Peter doesn't really have to put in any effort to remain still, while Daphne is now trying to get him to move along with both hands and bent knees. He tugs at her arms once, resulting in her yelping softly as she's immediately pulled into his chest.
"I promise I'll dance with you if you promise me you will drop your homework and just sleep tonight."
"I promise," she says quickly as she starts pulling at him. He raises his eyebrows at her. She was lying and they both knew it.
"Daphne," he says with a stern look on his face. "Promise for real." She relaxes, knowing she can't actually fight the strong arms that are wrapped around her. Not that she minds him holding her like that.

She cheekily looks up at him and then moves in to press a tender kiss on his lips, lingering just a little too long for it to be socially acceptable.
"Promise," she mumbles into his mouth seductively. Peter scoffs into a smile as he pulls back and bites his lip.
"Nooo, no, no, no, no, no, I see what you're doing. You're not winning this!" He laughs. Daphne squeals as he pokes her in the side, tickling her.
"Gah, Pete!"
"Promise Daph, or I'm gonna stay over to make sure you sleep!" he jokes. She grabs his hand, forcing them to pause, and smirks at him.
"But what if I want you to stay over?"
"Fine," he chuckles as he pulls her closer again to make their noses touch. "Then don't promise."