45. Mask

Thunk! Daphne freezes. The sound is followed by a muffled voice, letting out some quiet swears. Daphne was left alone in the Parker apartment by May, who went to get takeaway food. May closed the door behind her not even a minute ago and there was a loud sound coming from behind one of the bedroom doors. Daphne's mind races, but quickly settles on the only thing that made somewhat sense: 

Burglar. 

Daphne panics quietly and looks around the living room. She's going to have to self-defend if anybody decides to walk into the main living area. But with what? Her eyes go a little wider when she spots a bat, poking out from under the couch. It's perfect. She quickly grabs it and holds it up next to her face. Whoever's coming through that door is getting it. Her mind pauses for a second.

What if they only steal something from the room they're in and make their way out again? Then Daphne will have been the chicken who let a burglary happen right under her nose. What if the Parkers don't believe her and think that she stole their stuff?

"Well, fuck me," she whispers under her breath as she carefully walks to the door. She reaches for the handle with one hand, making sure the other still holds the bat close to her in defense. She hears the person in the room fumbling and moving around. They're muttering to themselves. Daphne takes a deep breath and holds it. Now!

...

Daphne pushes open the door with force and screams at the intruder with her eyes closed. She swings the bat aggressively and aimlessly. The burglar lets out a startled yelp and catches the bat in their hand, making her lose her balance and trip forward. She panics, shrieks and drops to the floor, but before she reaches it, the intruder catches her in their arms. When she opens her eyes, she recognizes the pattern on his skin tight suit.
"Woah, there!" he exclaims and then he says it:

"I got you."

Her head shoots to the masked face and her breath hitches in her throat. Spider-Man helps her stand upright and cocks his head at her. All she does is stare at him. The puzzle pieces are rapidly connecting in her head. Her brain can't keep up with how much sense everything suddenly makes.
"What was that for?" he asks, rather offended. He gestures at the bat that now lies on the floor. She doesn't reply. Her mouth is slightly opened and she can't begin to explain how much she hates herself right now. "Daph?"

"I'm so fucking dumb," she whispers.
"What? No, I just aske-"
"Daphne, the densest ass in the universe!" she yells at the ceiling.
"What are you talking about?" She can hear the panic in his voice, as much as he tries to play it cool. He takes a step back and gestures at himself. "This is for the Halloween party!" His voice cracks when he says it. He's lying. Still, she is not angry with him. She should've figured this out sooner. She should've known. This is on her. He had already told her his reasons for not telling anyone about his identity and those reasons make sense. She does think she should be angry with him, but she isn't.

"When I first met Spider-Man he told me he interns with Stark. Weeks later Peter tells me he interns with Stark." She talks quickly, using her hands and looking down at her feet. Her breath is fast and her heart beats in her head. "Spider-Man has heightened senses. Peter has heightened sensitivity."
"Daph, please-"
"The FUCKING text! 'Swinging home to freshen up' right?! My fucking god, even Loki told me you were not who I thought you were and that was the only thing he said to me that I didn't believe." Daphne paces through the room. "Guess he was telling the truth about that too!" She pulls at her hair.

"You even talk the same!" The words- his words- repeat in her head like a banging headache. I got you. I got you. I got you. I got you. I got you. I got you. I- She takes a shaky breath and closes her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose. With great difficulty, she collects herself and shakes her head. Everything makes sense now. Everything.
"I-" She holds up her hand to shush him and slowly turns to look at him, but she doesn't talk anymore.