103. Death

Peter feels like he's in the horror version of Baywatch. He's running over the sand, as fast as he can, towards Daphne's lifeless body, but everything about it feels like he's going in slow motion. As he makes his way over the beach, the sky magically clears again. Bright stars and a full moon illuminate the shore, making the small sand crystals shimmer, leaving no trace of the impact that just happened. He slides on his knees when he's near enough and he barely has the composure to lift her limp body out of the sand. Her scar opened again and Peter stares at the blooded branches that have extended even further over her back. Some even carefully wrap around her shoulders and one ends at her left collar bone.

Peter's breath hitches in his throat. Her wounds are filled with sand and when he carefully shifts her so he can see her face, a sob escapes his mouth. Her eyes are open, but they lack Daphne's spark. They're empty. Peter places his hand in front of her mouth, trying to ignore her slacked jaw, but he can't feel her warmth. She's not breathing. He pushes his ear on her chest as his own body jolts through his sobs, squeezing his eyes shut. No heartbeat. He realizes. No heartbeat, no heartbeat, no heartbeat-

"Dove," he whines. "Wake up, dove-" He glances at the shore. The sound of waves crashing washes through his head. "Wake up, wake up-" He embraces her tightly, feeling the bloodied sand, coarse, on her back. Peter presses Daphne against him, holding her head in one of his hands. His face disappears in her hair. The mixed smell of her pomegranate shampoo, the ocean's salt and the scorched skin overwhelms him as he sobs.
"Spider." Loki appears next to him. "We need to clean her up, now." Peter angles his body away from Loki, protecting Daphne from his reach.
"No- no, no, no-" There aren't any words for what Peter's feeling right now. His entire body aches with sadness. He doesn't notice he's rocking Daphne and himself back and forth. "Don't- don't- don't-" Loki squats next to them and places a gentle hand on Peter's shoulder.
"She will come back to us, Peter." This makes the teen look up at the demi-god. He doesn't recall Loki ever calling him by his first name.

Loki stares at the boy. His eyes are red and his cheeks are puffed. His breathing is erratic and Loki can practically hear the kid's heartbeat. The entire lower half of his face is covered in tears and the only terminology he can think of is what Midgardians call "ugly crying". Loki scoffs. It's difficult for him to wrap his head around the fact that someone can love another so deeply. Loki already settled on the idea that Daphne would die a lot sooner than he would, being different species and all. The spider's heart is just... So big. It almost aches him to see Peter so distressed. Almost.
"Wha- what do you mean?" Peter's voice is slurred and he sniffs as he looks back at Daphne's face. Loki quickly closes her dulled eyes with one swift swipe of his hand, ensuring the boy won't be too caught up in the fact that yes, that is the one he loves. Dead. In his arms.

Loki sighs deeply and cocks his head as he stands up from his squatting position. He looks back at the Iron Man's Summer house and spots everyone has woken up and gathered in front of the windows. He makes eye contact with Tony, who stares at him intently. Loki frowns when he sees anger on Stark's face. Almost... Accusatory. Loki could groan. What did he do wrong this time? Loki looks back at the young hero, still clutching Daphne in his arms. He purses his lips.
"I will explain what I know when we get inside. We need to wash the dirt off her wound. And I prefer to only tell my story once." He cocks one eyebrow at Peter, who looks up at him with doe eyes. "Spider," he tries once more. "For Daphne."

The mention of her name seems to shake the boy out of it and he carefully stands up, trying not to make it any worse. Her body hangs limp in his arms and he pulls a face when his arm scratches her wounds.
"I- I can't not touch it," he mumbles. Loki places a reassuring hand on Peter's shoulder and nods.
"All will be fine. Just need to clean her up and lay her down somewhere." They slowly walk back towards Stark's house and when they're close enough they can see the stirring inside the house. Bucky's holding back Derek from running out and before Peter can walk up the last couple of stairs to the door, Loki stops him.
"What's wrong?" Peter asks worried. He can already feel Daphne's body cooling down from the brisk summer night breeze.
"I should probably explain to them that no Midgardian medical aid will actually get her back. Crowding over Daphne will not help her. Someone is going to have to wash her. Her wounds, specifically." Peter's lip twitches.
"Nat's here," he mumbles. "She's probably washed a ton of wounds."
"Ah, the other Spider."
"To an extent," Peter grumbles. He doesn't understand why Loki is stalling for time. He wants to get inside. Now. He wants to take care of Daphne, get her warm again. Bring her back.