68. There You Are

"Here's your stuff." Iron Man tosses Daphne her bag and she catches it with both hands. Tony walks out of his suit and stretches his back. "Any clue where our little tracker is headed?" Daphne assumes the question isn't directed towards her and immediately opens her bag, suddenly stressed.

Where is it. Where is it. Where-

She sighs in quiet relief when her hands grab hold of the little Muninn charm she got from Loki. It's right where she left it. She didn't dare to imagine what would happen if it were to fall into the wrong hands.

"I've got your phone here, if you're looking for that," Tony says casually. He holds it up and grimaces. The screen is completely shattered and there's a big dent in the side. "It's dead."
"Great," Daphne groans. She walks towards Tony to take it from him, but he pulls it back.
"I might be able to retrieve what's on it, though."
"That's alright, Mr. Stark, I'm already enough of a nuisance." She reaches for the phone again, but he pulls even further.
"David's a nuisance. You're not," he says simply. He cocks his head and one corner of his mouth raises slightly. He pushes the phone in his pocket and walks to the dining table, which, unsurprisingly, doubles as a computer table.

Team Cap also gathered around the table and Peter taps away at the holograms.
"David's near Central Park," he says as he swipes away unnecessary information. Daphne freezes. When did her dad get off his shift again? She stares at the map ahead of her.
"I need to borrow someone's phone," she breathes.
"Why?" Steve frowns.
"My dad." Her reply is shaky. Peter and Tony realize what she means.
"Shit-" Tony grabs his own phone from another pocket, unlocks it and immediately hands it to her. "I hope you know his number by heart. Only Pep has your dad's number and she's out."
"I- I think I do." She starts typing and brings the phone to her ear. She stares at the red dot on the map that's slowly moving towards the zoo.

"Buck, I want you on this one." Stark says bluntly. The brown-haired man raises an eyebrow.
"Wha- why me specifically?"
"Our target is a teen with a silver arm." The guy Tony referred to as 'Buck' scoffs.
"Very funny."
"I'm serious."
"Fine."
"I'll tag along," Sam says with a nod. They make their way to the elevator. "Let's make this quick." Steve follows too and nods at Natasha.
"You alright with the techies?"
"I'll manage," she replies with a smirk. Daphne's only half listening, partially amazed at how calm and casually they're handling this. The phone is still beeping.

"Come on, dad, pick up, pick up!" she says through gritted teeth. The red dot is now at the entrance of the zoo and it pauses for a little bit. It feels like Daphne's heart stops beating for a second as she realizes David's going to have to get past security. Tao.
"Derek speaking-"
"Dad! Dad, fuck, where are you?"
"Woah, Daph, what's wrong?"
"Where are you?!" she repeats.
"I'm at the zoo?" It's past closing time, so there should be no one else there anymore.
"I know you're at the zoo- where are you exactly?"
"The grizzlies, I'm on my way out- Daph, what's going on, is everything alright?"
"Dad, I need you to listen to me and do exactly what I tell you to do."
"Not before you tell me what's up."
"There's no time for discussion. Just do it." Daphne doesn't notice the slightly surprised faces that are staring at her. Peter knew she could be direct, but didn't expect her to remain so collected in this situation.

"Alright, alright," Derek says. The red dot starts moving again and stops at the central part of the zoo; the sea lions. It starts pacing up and down.
"Dad, I need you to walk up to the snow leopards and make your way to the exit without passing the sea lions.
"O-okay." She can hear him shuffle on the other side of the line. "That's quite a detour."
"Pass above the snow monkeys, through the Tropic Zone, Intelligence Garden and exit the park through the café."
"Daph, can you please explain to me what's going on?" He pants slightly and Daphne is grateful he's picking up the pace.
"Psychopath on the loose. I'm at Avengers Tower. We're tracking him. Help is on the way. I'm keeping you updated on his location," she says in short direct sentences, her eyes still locked on the red dot.
"Wha- a psychopath?"
"Don't. Just get out of there the way I told you to and don't hang up."

...

Daphne's gaze is still fixated on the red dot. It's been about three minutes since she told her father which way to go.
"Mr. Stark, does the team know about the rule?" she says suddenly, causing everyone to look at her confused.
"The... Rule?"
"Silver mist," she says simply. Her dad's still on the other side of the line, but he's not replying.
"Wha- the touching thing?" Tony raises his eyebrows. "You think that applies to him too?"
"Don't know," she replies. "But I'd rather not find out the hard way." Daphne glances at Peter, but quickly brings her view back to the map. Stark nods.
"I'll let them know."
"Daph, can you please give me any information on what's going on?" Her father pleads.
"It's a long story and my priority is getting you out of there," Daphne says determined. She looks at Tony and gestures at the phone. She mouths to him to put her father on speaker and Stark arranges it with a flick of his wrist. "Where are you now?"
"Entering the Tropic Zone." Daphne takes the phone away from her ear and hands it back to Tony when her father's voice echoes through the living quarters.
"Good." She stares at the dot and frowns. "He stopped pacing," she notes. Natasha swipes a few boxes and suddenly there's video footage in front of them.
"Cracked the security cams. Let's see where he is." Natasha presses a few buttons. "Sea lions, right?"
"He should be at the north side of the sea lion enclosure, yeah."

Daphne holds her breath when the video footage of the tracker's location popped up. David's not there, but they can very clearly see the tracker on the ground.
"Fuck," she whispers. "Dad are you still there?"
"I am, m'nearing the exit of the Tropic Zone."
"Any place you can hide?"
"Daph, what's going on?"
"He found the tracker. Dropped it," she answers quickly. Natasha flicks through all the security cams.
"Found your dad," she says. She puts the feed on Derek to the side. "Now where is... Oh, boy." Daphne stares at the security footage.
"Dad, turn around. Walk out where you came in. Now."

"Well, this certainly is a great way to get my step counter up."
"Good to know you're still in the mood to crack jokes."
"Well, I don't know what's threatening me."
"It's better that you don't." Daphne purses her lips. "I wouldn't want to know." She doesn't notice Peter and Tony exchanging concerned glances at her words.
"Derek, you should probably take some bigger strides," Tony joins the conversation.
"Stark?" Daphne's father asks confused, but it quickly turns to quiet anger. "Why is my daughter involved in all of this?! " Stark remains calm and answers nonchalantly.
"David's the psychopath."

It's quiet for a little bit as Natasha manoeuvres around the different cameras, following both Derek and David through the tropical greens and over the wooden walkways. David had made his way to the entrance of the Tropic Zone and Derek is almost at the exit again. They can hear the nocturnal bats shriek through the speakers at the unexpected company.
"Alright; Cap, Bucky and Sam have suited up and are on the move," Peter says. He's keeping an eye on the squad. "Sam's flying ahead, should be there in two."
"Think you can hold out for a few more minutes, dad?"
"Do I have a choice?"
"Not really," Stark says before sucking at his teeth. "Just don't approach him. Consider him, eh... Armed." Daphne cocks an eyebrow at the horrible pun.

"He's right behind you, can you hide in any of the enclosures?" Natasha asks.
"This place is one big enclosure, but I might be able to go in the back with the lemurs," Derek mumbles quickly. He changes his course and ducks behind some large leaves. David stomps through the Tropic Zone and Daphne presses her lips on top of each other. He looks so angry. Why is he so angry?
"Go there, he's taken another turn," Natasha notes. They can see Derek nod as he makes his way behind the lemur enclosure.
"Base, come in," Sam says over the coms. Natasha perks up.
"We're here, Falcon."
"How far are you?" Tony asks.
"At the entrance right now. Daphne's suspicions were right, the guard's hand is silver."

"No," Daphne whispers. A sudden weight lands on her shoulders and it feels like there's a hole in her gut. "Tao."
"He's okay, though. Can't move his fingers anymore."
"Don't touch him." Stark orders.
"Too late man, I helped him up by his other arm. I think only the silver shit is contagious."
"Can he hear us?" Daphne asks quietly. Stark shakes his head. "Please, tell him I'm sorry."
"No can do, pal. This is not your fault," Sam says. Daphne clenches her fists in frustration, but shifts her attention when Natasha talks.
"Derek, David just passed you. If you're quiet you can make your way out now." They all hold their breaths as Derek slowly opens the door of the enclosure and moves back to the pathways. He has his laptop bag over his shoulder and shuffles as quickly as he can to the exit. All of them freeze when they hear David shout.
"THERE YOU ARE!"