18. Phone Call

There was no way to reason with Peter. After Tony had pulled up the security footage of the reception and confirmed it was indeed Loki Daphne had gotten into the car with, Peter nearly broke the window as he ripped it open to jump out. Tony contacted every available asset to suit up and sent his drones to search for his car. Instead of going out to search for Daphne himself, he stood among his holograms in the lab. Peter needs a regulator that actually works properly sooner rather than later. The deadline of two weeks had become a lot shorter with Daphne's disappearance.

"Her father is on his way here," Pepper states as she rushes in. "I tried to keep it vague but he sounded like he was freaking out."
"Only fair. His child just got abducted by a god who wrecked New York a couple years ago." Tony shrugs and wipes away a redundant hologram.
"How's Peter?" Bruce asks worried.
"Panicking." Tony clears his throat as he activates the 3D-printer for a first prototype.
"You need to call him and tell him to come back here." Pepper cocks her head. "This hits too close to home for him, he might end up doing something he'll regret."
"You want me to tell him to stop searching?"
"He's just a kid-"
"I know, Pep, just... If Loki took you, I wouldn't know what to do with myself either. Forcing him to stay here won't be good for him."
"And getting himself hurt will?" Tony's silent now. He stares at Pepper and sighs, letting his shoulders droop.

He turns back to the holograms and groans.
"God, I hate that you're always right."
"I know you do," Pep says while smiling and turning to Bruce. "Can you stay here and help monitor the drones?"
"Of course." Bruce nods and makes his way towards his work spot. Hologram screens fill the entire desk and Bruce studies them closely.
"Nat, Steve and Bucky were having a late dinner in the city, but they cut that short to help with the search." Pepper scrolls through her tablet.
"Rhodey?"
"Flying over Manhattan as we speak." She raises her eyebrows. "S.H.I.E.L.D. noticed our little spring to action. Fury wants to talk to you."
"Fury is about as low on my priority list as getting my laundry done right now. F.R.I.D.A.Y., call Peter." Tony says. Pepper rolls her eyes and walks back to the elevator.
"Calling Peter Parker."

...

Where is she, where is she, where is she, where is she!

Peter has never swung through New York this fast. He keeps telling Karen to call Daphne, but is always met with her voicemail. Hearing her singsong voice cheerily telling him to leave a message after the beep is probably the only thing keeping him sane right now. In the corner of his eyes he sees the sun coming up. Has it already been that long?
"Please, call her again," he whimpers.
"I'm sorry, Peter. I don't think she's going to pick up."
"Please, Karen."
"Calling Daphne."

The slow beeps leading up to the voicemail are the most excruciating thing. Right when he expects her voice again, he hears someone else.
"Hello there." Peter lands against a building and he pants.
"Where is she?!"
"How rude, are you not going to greet me?"
"Loki!" Loki sighs on the other end of the line.
"She's fine, boy." Peter can hear the demi-god smile through his words and Peter's never wanted to rip someone's face off until today. He readjusts himself on the building, trying - and failing - to stay calm. He takes a breath. "She's taking a little nap."
"If you hurt her, I will-"
"What will you do, Spider-Man?" Peter stays quiet, clenching his jaw. Loki laughs. "I'm not going to harm her; you have my word."
"Then give her back," Peter seethes.
"Oh, I will. After my brother admits his mistakes."
"What?"
"Thor is stubborn. I want him to apologize." Peter frowns.
"What for?"
"That's none of you concern, mortal."
"Why Daphne?"
"I will take good care of her until Thor does what I want him to do."
"Loki!"
"Good night." Loki chuckles. "Peter."

The phone call ends before Peter can yell his name again. Peter's chest feels tight and he has to do everything he can to keep his breath steady. He can't have a panic attack now, there's no time for that. He presses his eyes shut and tenses his muscles, trying to regain control over his body.
"Karen?" He says through gritted teeth.
"Yes, Peter?"
"Did you track the call?"
"The phone call wasn't long enough for an exact location."
"How about an approximate location?"

...

"Spider-Man is climbing Avengers Tower, sir."
"Let him in," Tony says through gritted teeth. They went from the lab to the main living quarters for the comfort of Daphne's father, Derek, who sits on the couch. He's been here all night, asking questions and helping where he can, but now he's exhausted. Everyone is exhausted. The sun came up an hour ago. They all had been awake, searching the entire night. Tony's foot is compulsively tapping the tiled flooring. Most of the involved Avengers had made their way back to the Tower when Peter messaged them to stop searching in New York.

Tony walks up to the entrance and meets the red and blue clad kid hero with a worried look on his face.
"Why didn't you answer my calls?" They all stare at the jittery teen. He can't stand still and walks past Tony.
"I was calling Daphne."
"Did you really think she was going to pick up?" Natasha raises an eyebrow. She has her arms crossed and leans against the bar.
"No." Spider-Man looks away and cocks his head. "Someone else picked up, though."
"What? Who?" Steve Rogers takes a big step towards him and Peter has to angle his face up to look him in the eyes.
"Karen, transfer the call data so F.R.I.D.A.Y. can play it on speaker."

Peter cuts the call right before Loki says his name to keep his identity safe from Daphne's father. They all stare at Spider-Man, who looks at his feet.
"She's somewhere in Orange County," he says. "Call didn't last long enough for an exact location."
"Wha- why would he take her there?" Tony frowns.
"Good God." They all turn to Daphne's father who put his hand in front of his mouth. His voice is shaky. "We lived in Orange County before we moved to New York."