44. Gold

Loki paces through the halls of the castle. Has been for a couple of days now. Something doesn't sit right with him. And that's just a mild way of putting it. A few days ago, he had this strange vision and ever since he's been feeling incredibly uneasy. About everything. About her. He can't go back to Midgard now, he promised her he'd only visit her once a month. He wants her to trust him. He cares too much for her to lie and stalk her. Yes, Heimdall may or may not have been giving him regular updates on her well-being, but he's not actually there with her.

Loki's study is filled to the brim with books he brought from the library. All of them are useless to aid him in figuring out what exactly he saw. There were only two people he could see clearly. Daphne was one of them. He saw her as if he was right there with her and he swore he could touch her, had he tried. She wore a dress made of the softest white silks and chiffon, and her back was exposed. The scar covering her skin lit up. Her hair was braided into a loose up-do. She looked like a Goddess.

The other one was a man. Undoubtedly a strong sorcerer. Brown tousled hair to his shoulders. His irises were dark, if not completely black. His features were slim and sharp. Loki would almost call him elegant, were it not for the incredibly rough and sinister magic he emitted. He was the one making Loki so restless. What connection does he have with Daphne? Why did he dream of them? Together?

Unfortunately, not even Freya was able to make sense of Loki's vision. That made him all the more uncomfortable. How is he supposed to protect Daphne if he couldn't figure out a mere vision? There is only one thing he can think of to do now. Go back to the sorceress that initiated all of this madness. Ravir.

...

Loki's boots sink into the deep mud with every step he takes. It's disgusting, but he can't let a little bit of dirt stop him. He has to know what's going on. He has to know the threat looming over Daphne. He has to know. For her. He thinks it's laughable how much he cares for her. Something just... Snapped in him when he saw Daphne in the Avengers Tower. If anything were to happen to her, he would kill the one responsible. Then he'd study necromancy to bring them back from the dead, only so he could kill them again. And again. And again. And-

Loki spots Ravir's small hut, hidden among the trees and plants of the dark forest. It looks like it's falling apart, being reclaimed by nature. He powers through the mud and gently takes the piece of cloth that serves as a door in his hand. He pushes it aside and steps into a space much larger than what it looked like on the outside. It's also the exact opposite of what one would expect it to be. It's like a palace; everything is made of gold. He's blinded by how bright it is. The light's reflection on the metal makes him squint.

"Ah, Loki." Ravir's deep and seductive voice surrounds him suddenly. "I've been expecting you." Loki simply nods as he cleans his boots with one swipe of his hand. He reminds himself of her one rule. Do not touch her. She may only touch you. He starts making his way through the long golden hall. There are columns reaching so high they fade into nothingness against the white light from above. At the end of the hall stands a golden chaise longue draped with the finest silks and furs. Next to it is a low table with a bowl, filled to the brim with fresh fruits from all over the universe. Loki recognizes some, but not all of them.

"I would like to speak with you face to face, Ravir." Loki frowns. "It's urgent. Important."
"Important to you, perhaps," the voice speaks. She sounds amused. Loki takes a breath.
"It's no laughing matter, I am worried for the one I saved." The room shifts, suddenly feeling very different from how it did before. A thick, golden mist covers the floor and turns into a shape. It dances around him. He has her full attention now. She knows who he's talking about.
"The Midgardian child?"
"Yes."
"Tell me about her first." It's an odd request. One Loki isn't sure is even relevant. He wants his vision explained and he most certainly doesn't want any magic wielder to know what Daphne is. What he turned her into by accident.