26. Confrontation

When Peter reaches into his bag to grab his Spider-Man suit he suddenly feels the exclamation marks again. They yell at him in his head. Behind you! He turns quickly, dropping his backpack and only barely dodging a fist coming his way.
"Woah!" He doesn't get much time to respond to the next fist aiming for his head, but he catches it quickly and easily. He then recognizes his attacker. "David?!" He pushes David away from him with little effort.
"The fuck do you think you're doing?!"
"What are you talking about? You're the one stalking Daphne," Peter accuses.
"Bullshit, you are the one stalking her."
"I'm not sure if you are familiar with the definition of stalking," Peter jokes. Why does he always joke when he's in situations like this?
"She's my girlfriend, you need to back off!" David shouts.

Peter takes a step forward.
"She's afraid of you!"
"Then why did she kiss me?" David takes a step forward too. He's taller than Peter and puffs his chest, trying to be intimidating. Peter's fought greater foes; he won't go down without a fight. "I haven't seen her kiss you yet?"
"This isn't about who she kisses, it's about what she feels." Peter has to look up to lock eyes with David. "The guy she was with said he'd kill you if you didn't leave. You took advantage of that! She did not do it out of love!" Peter realizes he quoted Loki.
"Oh, and you love her then?"
"Well, I-"
"You don't love her like I do!" David interrupts Peter with a snarl. Peter takes a step back from the force David used in his voice. He is an opera singer, all right.

"I think it's time you leave her alone, David."
"Or what, you'll tell your parents?" Peter freezes. It feels like an arrow just forced its way through his chest. "Oh, did I strike a nerve there?" David squints as he leans in even further with a wicked smile. He's all the way up in Peter's face. Peter tightens his jaw and has to do everything he can not to throw David in the trash can behind him.
"Leave. Her. Alone."
"Or what?" David whispers. Seethes. "Orphan."

Anger. That's the only word shooting through Peter's head right now. It's all he can think of. David doesn't realize how easy it would be for Peter to just rip off his head. Peter's vision goes white for a second. He closes his eyes and breathes. He shouldn't think like this. It's toxic. David is obviously delusional. And he's definitely provoking Peter on purpose.
"Go away." He says slowly. He turns around and grabs his bag from the ground.
"Don't think so." Peter walks to the exit of the alleyway. Frustratingly enough, David follows right behind him. After five minutes of David following him up close, Peter's fed up. He grabs his phone from his pocket and calls the number he has on speed dial.

"Pete, why aren't you suited up yet?" he immediately hears from the other side of the line.
"I would love to come over, Mr. Stark." He turns around to David, whose eyes grow wide. "But I'm being followed by-"
"Stop talking, I'll go!" David shouts. He turns around and runs away. It's quiet for a second.
"Thanks for picking up," Peter says softly.
"Was that David?"
"Yeah."
"Well, shit, if he's bothering you now as well then I really need to figure out this fraud situation."

"He genuinely thinks he and Daphne are in a relationship based on the kiss they had Saturday." Peter had informed Tony about the whole 'saving David's life' situation to avoid things becoming awkward.
"Sounds like he needs a psychiatrist."
"Mr. Stark, he just tried to punch me in the face for spending time with her and he-" Peter cuts himself off. The lump in his throat is thick and tears prickle in his eyes. Somehow David had figured out his parental situation and the whole thing made Peter feel an emptiness that he hasn't felt in a long, long time.
"Kid, you okay?" Peter holds his face with his free hand. The tears start streaming down his face and he sniffs.
"Mr. Stark, I'm not sure if I can do that drug bust tonight." His voice breaks as he talks.
"Peter?" Tony sounds worried.
"I think I want to be alone for a bit," Peter whimpers. "I'm sorry." He hangs up on Tony and starts running.

...

It didn't take Tony long to find Peter. He somehow guessed where he would find the kid. Peter always went there when he's exceptionally sad. Tony stares at Peter from a distance. It's cold. But Tony assumes Peter probably feels colder on the inside. He sits on the soft grass in front of his parents' graves, staring at the letters engraved in them until they lose all meaning. The wind blows softly. It tousles his hair. Tony can see he cried. His cheeks are puffed and his eyes are red. There is no expression on is face. Like he's numb.

Peter didn't acknowledge him when Tony went to sit down on the ground next to him. But he would be lying if he said he wasn't grateful for the company of his mentor. Tony knows exactly what Peter's going through, but to Tony that's the worst part. That Peter had gone through all this. Losing his parents and then his uncle too. Tony hates himself for exposing Peter to all kinds of traumatic experiences. But he knows that Peter would've become Spider-Man regardless of whether or not Tony was in his life. The best Tony could do was be there for him and guide him to adulthood. And through all of this superhuman stuff.

Tony studies the gravestone and notices the fresh flowers in front of it. He makes a mental note to visit his own parents' grave after this. He hasn't been there in a while. Life catches up to him. There's just too much going on. He needs to start making time for this. He doesn't even glance at Peter. They just sit there, side by side, looking ahead, not saying a word. The cold October air tickles their skin. Time passes by slowly.