108. Spite

Hi there! I am so sorry for not posting for so long. Life has been absolutely insane lately, but I don't think that's news for everyone lol. Pandemics sure fuck with your inspiration.

I'm not sure how fast I will be able to upload the next chapter, but the fic is finally moving forward again! Enjoy! <3

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Daphne is floating in her own body. Adrift in her mind. She can't see what her body is doing. She doesn't even have a body. Her physical one, out there in the real world is beyond her. She can't feel it. She's stuck inside her head. How many days has it been? She doesn't know. Has it even been days at all? Or does it just seem like that? In any case, she's stuck. And there's no way out. She's tried everything, looked everywhere, but she's surrounded by a never ending darkness. Alone. Strangely enough, there are no emotions inside her. She just exists. All her thoughts flow through her head, apathic. She's not scared. She's not sad. Or angry. She's just... There. The numb feeling that envelopes her gives her a chance to think and to do what everyone always told her to do to figure out how to use her magic.

Look inside herself.

After hours upon hours of trying, there's suddenly a strange sensation. Sparks surround her like they did on the beach and when she reaches that same strange state, she notices something is different. There is a shape in the distance. She can sense it. It's the first thing she's felt in forever and it makes her yearn for it. Daphne can't move though, and so she tries to reach out with her magic to urge the shape to come closer. To her surprise, it does, and when it reaches her, Daphne realizes it's a face. A person. A woman. She has tanned skin and wears soft silks held together by leather straps and details of gold. Her raven black hair held together with a complicated braid and her dark eyes bore through Daphne's. Daphne can't speak, but she doesn't need to. The woman knows and strangely enough, Daphne knows too. She understands. She is Charon. She is the Ferryman. And she doesn't have to kill Somm.

-

"Kid!" Tony throws himself between Peter and Somm, blocking a gigantic block of concrete with his suit. The suit didn't like it, but luckily it held on.
"Mr. Stark!" Peter pants. He's been trying to get away from Somm for what felt like an eternity. The sorcerer can't be shaken and Peter's adrenaline is through the roof, knowing Somm is actively trying to kill him.
"Help's on the way, Pete! Loki found Ravir and is making sure this spell is done the way we need it to be. We'll find Daphne. You'll find Daphne!" Iron Man fires a few missiles towards the immortal man, knowing it's useless, but all they need is time right now. And if distracting Somm gains them more time, then distracting Somm is what they'll do. Doctor Strange joins the fight, bending reality around Somm. It doesn't seem very effective, but hey, one missile hit. That counts for something. Black Panther lands next to Peter on the ground and helps him up.
"Find the girl," he says with a nod and Spider-Man nods back, still trying to catch his breath. He turns to look at Iron Man again, who throws him a set of spare web fluid and simply shouts.
"GO!" Peter easily catches the provisions, but stumbles as he moves back and shifts to run in any direction, away from the fight.

-

"Drink up, boy," Ravir urges. Flash takes the bowl out of her hands and doesn't question the golden sorceress, or the most likely very unhealthy mixed drink. He throws his head back, chugging the blood, ignoring the godawful taste, because Nuveth told him to. Ravir smiles and glances at David, standing to the side, glaring at the three of them. There's a cut on his face.
"When will it work?" He asks quietly. Nuveth looks down at him.
"You will know," he replies. Ravir starts chanting spells, initiating the necessary ritual.
"Ravir!" Loki shouts, as if he's seeing a long lost friend. Ravir ignores him, continuing her chants over the dazed teen. "Don't forget the call to Orath."
"She will not." Nuveth glares at Loki and moves to stand between Ravir and Loki. "Do not distract her."
"Oh, no, no, I do not aim to. We all want to find Daphne. I am here to make sure you won't." Loki grins and cocks an eyebrow. "Hey!" He shouts to Ravir, who's doing her best to concentrate on her words. "Lalalalala!"
"Quit it, roach!" Nuveth aggressively pushes Loki away, silver dust floating through the air at the impact. "You are ruining this!" Loki scoffs and steps away from the silver sorcerer.
"Not entirely," he says with a sheepish smile on his face. "Just... Enough." Ravir shouts her last word and Flash gasps as he throws up the blood he ingested, snapping out of his trance.
"FUCK! GOD FUCKING, EW! EW! EW!" He stumbles backwards and falls on his ass. David immediately rushes towards him to help him get up. His silver arm hidden under a leather jacket.