64. Rare

Peter's on the floor with his legs tucked in. He's surrounded by the three books he... Borrowed. It's an understatement to say the books are a pain to read. He's about halfway through the second book and if he has to google one more definition of an impossible word, he's going to go insane. Unfortunately, the contents of the books are mind-numbingly boring as well, which makes it even more difficult to get through. But he has to. For Daphne. At least he's going to ace this school project now.

The books told him more about the Anemoi than the internet ever could. Though, like Stephen said, that might just be his downfall. If the teacher doesn't know any of this, he probably shouldn't use it for his presentation. However, he's not actually reading them for the school project.

He turns to the next page, but looks up mid-action when his phone buzzes. Tony's calling him. Peter purses his lips when he reaches out for his phone and he straightens his back as he picks up.
"Hey, Mr. Stark!"
"Did you steal from Doctor Strange?" No greeting. Straight to the point. Peter takes a sharp breath and holds it.
"No," he squeaks. It's about the least convincing he's ever sounded.
"Don't lie to me, Peter." Panic rises in Peter's chest. They found out. They found out and he's so screwed.

"I- I just borrowed it for a school project, Mr. Stark, I swear-"
"Borrowed?" Tony scoffs. "Kid, you don't just 'borrow' ancient books from the Sanctum."
"I couldn't find anything interesting about the Anemoi online and I figured-"
"You figured?!" Tony interrupts him again. "Pete, you don't know what's in those books. Heck, they could be cursed. Have you read them?" Peter presses his lips on top of each other, not replying. "Kid...?"
"I'm halfway through the second one..." He mumbles honestly.
"Second one of what?"
"Three books total." Peter looks down at the books, embarrassed. He licks his lips and has to hold back his tears. This was a stupid idea.
"I know you have three books. I just wanna know which ones you read."
"Eh," Peter stutters and he looks at the book in his lap. "The myth of Cupid and Psyche and the one on the Anemoi in general..."
"Alright, great, I want you to bring all three books back to the Sanctum. Stat." Peter's face contorts. There was something off about Tony's comment. He sniffs and sighs defeated.
"Yes, Mr. Stark."

...

Something doesn't add up. A lot doesn't add up, actually. Tony and Peter only just hung up the phone after Peter received another lecture about responsibility. Peter's staring at the books. The third book, to be exact. That was the only book that stood out from the rest and Tony seemed relieved he hadn't touched that one. From the looks of it, it's an encyclopedia. Tony doesn't want him to read it, which is weird. Why would he not want him to read it? Does Mr. Stark know what Peter's looking for? He takes a breath. It's only one word he has to find. What harm could it do? If the book was actually cursed it wouldn't be in the open library of the Sanctum. Right?

Peter shuts the book in his lap and places it on top of the other one he already read. He reaches for the encyclopedia and takes a breath. He opens it quickly, reading the rather troubling foreword. The book is a copy of the original book, which was written by 'The Collector'. Peter frowns as he reads the lines. This book can pretty much be described as an informational piece of literature on how to keep zoo animals. But the animals aren't actually animals. They're humanoid species. People. Peter shudders. Luckily, the book is set up in alphabetical order. He flips the book to the last page and works his way back.

"Zephyrus, Zephyrus..." He mumbles as he flicks through the pages. "Zephy-...r?" Peter's eyes stop at a short section about Zephyrs. He quickly reads the words. His muscles tense up and he's frozen in place. What does this have to do with Daphne? Why can't she say this word? His mouth goes dry. He doesn't want to admit it, but everything he reads makes sense with Daphne's recent behavior, like her distrust of Doctor Strange. However, nothing about the text is satisfying. Nothing eases his mind.