Chapter 22 - Flat Line

Chapter 22

Beep...

"Her heart rate is normal..."

Beep...

"Her wounds are healing... That's good..."

Beep...

"And in her test, she is safely out of danger!" The doctor puts down his pen and exhaled all the oxygen out of his mouth.

"Gee, thanks do-!"

"I said call me Jones when it's just the two of us! Dammit, how many times do I have to correct you?" Jones pouted sadly, "Come one, say it one more time!"

I stared at him with annoyance and said, "Gee, thanks motherf*cker." I raised my middle finger right in front of him.

"Well... That's not nice..." He said, with a shocked tone, "Maybe I should. Raise the payment he-"

"Are you serious?" He nodded at me, then I laugh.

Is he serious?!

"You know, I can pay the hospital bill here whether you raise it or not." I laughed again which made him annoyed.

"F*ck, I forgot you're rich!"

A while later...

"It's nice chatting with you but I have other patients to examine, see you later Alexander!" Jones, yes, I said it, wave goodbye and close the door quietly.

I sighed and leaned back at my chair, just listening to the heart monitor beeping normally.

Sigh...

I'm starting to recall what Jones said a while back...

"What's your relationship with her?"

Heh.

All I have to say is that...

We both have a complicated relationship...

I love her, yes, but now I'm beginning to wonder...

What does she see in me?

Does she only see me as her enemy? Her rival?

Stupid Alexander! Of course, she sees you as an enemy! You're part of the people who made her life a living hell!

When I was in the middle of my thoughts, my phone started to ring.

I picked up and answered the phone, only to hear sobbing and screaming in the background.

"H-Hello?"

"Hello?! Is this the son of Xialong, Gong?" An unfamiliar deep, like an old man's voice, answered. I look at the caller's ID but it reads, "Father".

"Who is this? How do you-" I realize something, "Wait if this is one of your f*cking games, I swear, I will break your phone into a billion pieces, Alexa!"

"I may take that as a yes then... Anyway-"

"Alexa, tell that friend of yours to stop using father's phone just to fool me! Goodbye!" I hanged up. I slouched at the back of my chair and groaned.

She'll never learn huh?

I look at Mia's sleeping and peaceful face. My hand reaches out for her hand, caressing it gently.

It's so soft...

And cold...

Almost like a dead person.

Ring!

My phone rings again.

I look at the caller's ID and it says "Father".

Ugghh, she'll never learn!

I answered but before I could speak, I could hear a woman, almost in her mid-40's, pleading someone to help her.

"Please! Save my husband!"

"Mrs. Xialong, don't worry, we're doing everything we can to save him..."

Is that my stepmother?

I could also hear Alexa crying so loudly...

What the f*ck happened?

I gulped and gathered the courage to speak up, "H-Hello?"

"Big brother?!" Surprised, she stops crying and answered, "Alexander! Dàgē! You answered!"

"What happened?"

"Daddy..."

"Father? What happened to him?!"

It's been a while since I've been worried sick about him and his health.

"When he was about to leave to China, he suddenly earns a heart attack and fell off his wheelchair!"

"What?!"

No...

I didn't expect this to happen...

But I didn't expect what actually happened next...

I could hear that the heart monitor was beating so fast. I look at Mia's heart monitor.

Her heartbeat, it was beeping very fast...

"Alexander? Are you-"

"Uh, gotta go see ya!" I hung up and immediately press the Call Emergency button.

"Help! Patient 702's heartbeat is out of control!"

I could hear footsteps coming closer...

But before they burst in, I didn't hear the heart monitor beeping...

Just a long flat sound...

I looked at the heart monitor and it was a flat line...

~~~~~~
(End of Chapter 22)

Edited: March 17, 2021