Chapter 2

It has been a while since we heard anything from the Vampire Council, and I feel like Cecilia and Tobias think they have forgotten about us. What they don't realize is that the members of the Vampire Council weren't only old, but also unforgiving. They never forget a perceived threat.

But how am I supposed to convince two people in love that there is danger hovering over our heads? They are too blinded by the happy bubble they had found themselves in, to realize that the number of years that have passed doesn't matter to the old vampires.

All that they care about is upholding the law, and all of us have broken it one way or the other. They never forgive, they never forget.

Surprisingly enough, Seymour is my only ally in this. Well, if I am being honest, I have relied on him more than I care to admit.

It doesn't mean I trust him, nor that I forgave him, it's just that I don't want to ruin Tobias' happiness.

I've never had any true happiness in my whole life and afterlife, it would be cruel not to let them enjoy such a precious jewel that is a genuine joy.

That's why I asked Seymour to help me out with the research about the healers. I think it will be good to know more about it before I tell Tobias and Cecilia what I know. After all, right now there isn't much I can tell them, is there?

Maybe that wouldn't affect their afterlife in any way, but I need to know before burdening them with the details. They already have a lot on their minds trying to save the world one human at the time while also nourishing their love.

Besides doing the research, I do my best to keep an eye out on any unusual vampire activity in the area, as well as trying my best to cover up our true identities. Honestly, it is becoming extremely troublesome to do so, since Cecilia and Tobias' generosity is bringing them in the public eye.

If they continue like this, we will soon be found and slaughtered. Still, I don't dare say anything, they will think I am exaggerating. They always do. They don't know how it is to comprehend the truth.

I don't hold it against them, they are young and naive. Although Tobias is older than Cecilia, he is still a child when we are talking about vampire years. It's only normal that they are unable to see how bad the world can get.

That's why Seymour and I will go to the Cemetery of the Ancients, the place where most of the secrets of the supernatural world could be discovered.

Luckily, there are many of the branches of the Cemetery of the Ancients scattered around the world, and there is one nearby. At least nearby according to vampire standards.

If there is any place in the world where the elusive healers could be studied, it is there. I've never been there before, but I know that many vampires on the quest have found their truth in there.

I asked Seymour to come with me because he has been there before. He knows how to fulfill all the trials that await any vampire with a thirst for knowledge. I am using him.

Maybe I should feel bad about it, but hasn't he done the same thing to me, with no regrets?

Still, I have to be careful, he seems to be under the wrong impression that we are about to start up where we left off, and that is not happening. I am not about to repeat the same mistake twice.

While I am sipping O negative, and enjoying the fresh night breeze on the balcony, I can't help but wonder how long this calm before the storm will last. How long will it be before we have to run away or fight our way to survival?

I don't know what the future will bring, but I am determined to enjoy the quiet moments as much as I can. Vampire or human, all we have are precious moments, the here and the now. We don't know what the future might bring, but the present is what we should focus on.

"Hey, did I just manage to sneak up on Helen, the Great Huntress?" Seymour says as he jumps on my balcony.

"Of course not, I was just letting you enjoy the moment where you think you could do that," I say.

The truth is that he did catch me off guard. Trying to think about too many things at the same time can dull even the sharpest vampire's senses, but I am not about to let him know that.

"I thought so. You are too good to be beaten in anything." He says.

It is obvious that he is trying to win me over with compliments, but he should know better. I am not the type of woman who falls for false compliments and empty promises.

" Stop the jabbering, and let's get going. It's a long run. Or did you change your mind?" I ask him.

"As you wish, my lady," Seymour says as he bows.

Once upon a time, I might have found the gesture endearing now all I want to do is hit him over the head to stop his mouth from spewing out lies.

Still, no matter how furious I am at him or how suspicious I am of his actions, the truth of the matter is that I need him. He is the only vampire that I can predict. I feel that if he were to betray us or hurt me again, I would be able to see it coming.

I guess it's true what they say, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. That's why this charade has to go on.

"Let's go then!" I say, downing my drink.

We both jump off the balcony almost at the same time and start running at full speed. We have already memorized our path, so all we need to do is keep running and enjoy the ride.

When we are running like this, the exhilaration takes over, and for a brief moment, I feel as if I've slipt back into the past, into the way our relationship used to be, easy and comfortable. Remembering the truth again, hurts like the first time, and I feel like those few moments of joy are not worth the pain that follows them.

Before I know it, we have run more than half of the way, and although I have had some blood before we left I want more. It feels like Seymour's mere presence makes my bloodlust even stronger like it was in the old days.

Still, at least I have enough self-control now, and that helps me justify my actions to myself. What could be so bad, if I take just one sip of the thick delicious liquid?