Chapter 49

How do I keep getting myself involved in these strange, senseless situations?

The man who is banishing me from his protection and his son's affections is handing down his daughter to the monster who he believes has no goodness in her.

What kind of man does that?

Well, a desperate one, I guess, but it still makes no sense to me. However, what is more incredible is the fact that I have agreed to this. That I have consented to babysit a delicious smelling Healer who is not Eliot?

What, in the name of all that is undead, was I thinking? Why didn't I just say no to Tolie and walk away?

Soon enough, our awkward walk comes to an end as we see Olivia impatiently waiting for our arrival. As I get ready for another cumbersome trip, Tolie dares break the heavy silence that has settled between us.

"Please take care of my little girl," he says with more emotion than I've ever heard coming from him.

"As long as you take care of my friends, your daughter will be fine. However, if I hear that something happened to any of them... Let's just say that your daughter will no longer be safe," I threaten.

"Understood," he says, waving at his daughter as he goes back inside.

A pang of guilt settles over me for not saying my goodbyes, but I do my best to bury it. After all, some people are meant to be alone, and I am starting to believe I am one of those people.

Every type of relationship I've ever had ended in disaster or has the potential of failing. Solitude is preferable for me.

However, even the reverie of solitude and its benefits is interrupted by Olivia's cheerful chattering. It makes it clear to me that she has no idea what the real reasons behind our departure are.

"What's going on, Helen? Father said that we were going on a top-secret mission and that I wasn't to leave your side and to follow your lead." Olivia says excitedly.

That idiot.

Why would he tell that to his daughter? If he thinks as lowly of me as he seems to, how does he know I won't order her to let me feed on her? It sure would be useful to have a willing snack nearby.

"Not here. We need to leave as soon as possible. How fast are you?" I ask.

"Somewhat faster than a regular human," she admits.

"That's not fast enough. May I?" I ask, moving to grab her.

"Sure," she says.

As I lift her up and start running, I am utterly annoyed at the girl. Can't she see that I am a vampire, a dangerous predator? Would it kill her to be more careful?

Well, chances are that not being careful enough will end up killing her.

The only thing that keeps me from bursting out in anger or feeding on her enticing blood, then and there, is Eliot.

I just can't bear to see the look in his eyes if I end up killing his sister, the one person who seems to care for him as much as he cares for her. Why I would care about causing him pain is beyond me, but I am finally able to admit that I do care.

After running for quite a while, I choose to take a break. It's about time to shatter the girl's happy expression that has been bothering me for hours, as well as her constant chatter about nothing and everything.

The reason for this isn't only my sadistic tendencies. I also believe that the girl deserves to know the truth about her family, about what her father did. She is no longer a child and can make her own decision.

If I am lucky enough, she might decide to continue by herself, and my consciousness will be clear. There will be one burden less on my shoulders.

"...and then he dared laugh at me! Can you imagine that?" I heard her say, for the first time, paying attention to her words since the chatter started.

"Olivia, we need to talk," I say firmly.

"What is it? Why are you so serious?" she asks, sober expression coloring her face.

That is the exact moment I realize how weak I have gotten.

I can't tell her the truth. I can't look into her eyes that are so much like her brother's and tell her the horrible truth about her kind.

That's what you get for spending time among Healers! Troublesome emotions and things! Argh!

"Our situation is quite serious. Your father told me that the Vampire Council is actually after me. They don't care about others as much. So, to keep me safe, he decided to send me away with his best Healer as my protection," I lie through my teeth.

"Really? Daddy has that much trust in me?" the naïve girl says.

"But why wouldn't he send Eliot? He loves you." Olivia says.

I frown at those words. How can anyone speak about such grand emotions so soon? I can't help but wonder if that was what Eliot told her or something that this creative girl made up, like towers in the air.

Seeing my expression, she backtracks as much as she can, as if she is trying to calm me down.

"Well, at least he seems to care about you a lot," Olivia says, stumbling over her words.

"That seems to be the precise reason why your father didn't send me away with him. He assumed that Eliot might be too emotionally involved to be objective." I lie inspired by what she has revealed about his potential emotions.

"I guess that makes sense. But why didn't father let us stay home? It's much safer there." Olivia says, proving to be far less naïve than I believed her to be.

Luckily that is when I hear that someone is approaching. Whoever it is, they are still far away, but I can feel the quick approach. At the moment, potential danger sounds much better than telling lies to the poor clueless girl.

"Shh, someone is coming," I say.

"Should we run?" Olivia whispers.

"No, there is no use. If those are vampires, they have already caught our scent and will be able to follow it to us. Our best chance is to stay here and prepare an ambush." I say.

"Ahem, Helen. I know my father sent me with you to offer additional protection, but I never actually fought a vampire before. Are you sure those are vampires approaching?" she asks.

I can't help but stare at her in shock. It keeps getting more and more difficult to imagine that these creatures have survived for so long, considering how little they know about self-preservation.

Then again, because of the deal made by their forefathers, they might not have had the opportunity to ever learn how to survive, how to fight for one's bare life.

"I can't catch their scent yet. The wind is not working in my favor. Whatever they are, just stay behind me and leave everything to me." I say, stepping in front of the girl.

Whatever danger is coming, I shall face it alone. The girl has to be protected. I owe that much to Eliot for caring in the first place.