Chapter 25

This is becoming beyond annoying.

What kind of vampire gets knocked out two times in a day, by the same vampire. It's humiliating.

As my eyes open into small slits, the best I can do at the moment, I can see Seymour looking at me with fear, which makes me realize that I was closer to death than I assumed.

That's just great! In saving that undeserving idiot, I almost ceased to exist!

"What happened?" I ask croakily.

What I want to say is much less polite and is directed towards Alarcos.

'Why did you wait till the last possible moment to stop him, you bloody idiot?' is what I want to ask more than anything, but I resist.

One of the main reasons I don't ask, why I don't yell at them is that my throat is so dry that I think I wouldn't be able to say such a long sentence. My fury doesn't change the fact that I am weak at the moment.

"I am so sorry, Seymour. I tried to get to you in time, but I couldn't." Alarcos says addressing Seymour.

Though Seymour does look dejected and probably needs to hear that, it doesn't stop me from being furious at Alarcos.

Instead of apologizing to me, for almost getting me killed, he is apologizing to my would-be-killer. No matter the circumstances, I think I deserve the apology first, having in mind how I entrusted my life to him, and he almost lost it.

"Excuse me," I manage to spit out with as much venom I can muster.

"Oh, right," Alarcos says rubbing his neck, looking sheepishly at me.

"I am sorry Helen, for...you know... almost getting you killed and all that. It wasn't my fault." Alarcos says.

"What happened?" Seymour asks, reading my mind.

I am very grateful to him for that since I don't think my throat could have produced any sounds right about now.

"The Vampire Council and the Guard, they had with them, split up to cover more ground. Somehow, one of the Guards managed to track us down." Alarcos says.

"We have to go! Others might be coming to get us. He could have informed them about our whereabouts." Seymour says.

"Not to worry. He won't be saying anything to anyone ever again." Alarcos says proudly.

"Is that so?" Seymour asks with a huge grin that lights up his whole face.

I have a feeling that they are about to start with their strange, flirty banter, and I am honestly not in the mood to listen to it. I am too drained for that.

"You sure are one powerful, vicious vampire," Seymour says, batting his eyelashes at Alarcos.

"Ahem," is the only sound I manage to let out to show my annoyance.

"Sorry, Helen. How are you feeling?" Seymour says, concerned look back in his eyes.

"Weak and bloodless. Peachy." I say irritated to no end, every word burning my throat on the way out.

If I am being honest, I am angry with myself more than I am mad at Seymour for almost killing me. How could I allow something like this to happen?

It's as if feelings are a contagious disease, and Tobias and Cecilia have infected me. If that were true, it would have made everything so much easier, but unfortunately, I know that is not correct. It's me. I've allowed emotions, long-buried to resurface.

My weakened state is only proving that emotions are bad. They are unnecessary distractions that can cost us our lives. I know that they almost cost me mine.

"So, what do we do now? Helen can't go anywhere in this state." Seymour says.

"She can feed on me. After all, it's my fault that she is in this condition in the first place." Alarcos says.

"No!" Seymour says much louder than necessary.

I guess he thinks that my bloodlust might cost him his beloved because it's clear that he feels strongly against me feeding on Alarcos.

"What I mean is, we can't go around feeding on each other in a circle. You know as well as I do that if we continue to do that, there won't be any actual sustenance. We need real food. We need human blood." Seymour says with determination.

Though I can hear what Seymour is saying, my attention is focused on Alarcos. His offer makes me wonder.

What would it be like to sink my teeth into his flawless skin?

I lick my lips while imagining my mouth leeching onto his neck, piercing the neck, and finally allowing me to taste the delicate flavors of his blood.

What would it taste like? Would it be sweet with a hint of his essence or spicy the way his behavior around Seymour is from time to time?

This space is small enough that I can smell him more clearly than ever before. He smells like a chilly morning mixed with a salty breeze.

Simply mouthwatering.

"Helen!" Seymour screams at me.

Only then do I realize that I am inches away from Alarcos, teeth out, ready to strike.

With more difficulty than I would ever admit, I retract my fangs and move away from the delicious snack that I am sure Alarcos is.

It occurs to me at that moment that Seymour was the one who stopped me. Alarcos did nothing to prevent me from bleeding him dry. I can't help but wonder why not.

Is it because he feels guilty for putting my life in danger? Or does he want to prove to Seymour that he is better than me, nobler?

What he doesn't seem to realize is that I am not the self-sacrificing type.

When I was human, I wasn't the type to take a spear to the chest instead of someone I cared about. I was too selfish for that.

Being a vampire has only increased my self-preservation instinct. It has always been my bread and butter, and yet it seems like that was exactly what I was doing by helping Seymour.

I would expect this kind of emotional stupidity from Tobias and Cecilia, but I never expected to see the Great Huntress falling into the trap set by those pesky emotions.

What's wrong with me?

"Look, Helen, I feel much better, and I am grateful to you. I will go and get us some fresh food, but I need you to promise me you won't feed on Alarcos while I am gone. You know that you wouldn't be able to stop because of of...er...your issues." Seymour says.

I don't want to promise anything. I need to taste Alarcos' blood more than I ever needed to do anything since the moment of my birth.

"I promise," I say despite my better judgment.

"I'll be back as soon as I can, and I'll be careful to hunt nearby and not to leave a trail they can follow," Seymour says as he dashes out his strength recovered.

"You could feed on me, you know. I don't think he would be too angry with you." Alarcos says after Seymour is gone.

I look at him with eyes wide open, unable to understand his motivations.