Chapter 6

We need to stay focused. We don't know what the next test might bring us, yet my curiosity gets the better of me, as always. I am so shocked that Alarcos has displayed such a sign of courage that I need to know how he does it.

I have never met any vampires who would risk their lives with such a high possibility of dying.

I mean, I've helped Cecilia, but that was different, I knew we could kill all those vampires who held her captive.

However, Alarcos had no way of knowing that the stake wouldn't go through his heart.

"You are so brave. How is that even possible? Were you always like that or did you learn how to be courageous?" I ask.

"Neither." He says.

"What do you mean? We both saw you save Seymour's life while risking your own. You have the wound to prove it." I say.

"I am not denying what happened, I am just saying that I was never that brave. Quite the opposite. I was never ready to sacrifice my life for someone else's." Alarcos says.

"Than how is what happened even possible?" I ask impatiently.

"I don't know.

When I saw that Seymour's life was in danger, it was like something had shifted in me. I knew I had to save him.

I wasn't thinking about anything else. The danger I would be in didn't even cross my mind. It was the strangest thing ever." He says.

I don't know what to tell him, so I say nothing as I mull over what he said.

I know that he is telling the truth, I have become very good at reading people over the years, but I don't understand it, and it drives me crazy.

How can a person suddenly become courageous? Or was his courage always there just needed some motivation to come to light?

What did that mean for us? What kinds of tests could we expect next?

I am the type of person who is ready to face any challenge, but the not knowing is killing me.

How am I supposed to prepare myself for what's coming when I don't know what to expect?

As I am contemplating what awaits, I can sense something different.

I can smell human blood.

It's the most delicious one I've ever smelt, so inviting, irresistible.

The others don't seem to be able to smell it. I know that because they don't look lost in the complexities of the wonderful smell. I have no idea how that is possible and I don't care.

All I care about is getting a taste of the inviting liquid, of feeling it melt on my tongue as I swallow more and more of it. Until I drink up all of it; and toss away the container that kept the precious liquid warm for me.

Soon enough, I can focus on nothing else but the call of blood.

Distant voices are calling my name, but even their familiarity doesn't stop me.

I follow the scent as quickly as I can, paying no attention to the pursuit behind me.

Nothing matters.

If they try to stop me, I'll just rip them to pieces and go on.

Nothing will stop me from tasting that delicious blood.

Before I know it, I am at the source of the delightful smell, and as my teeth sink deep into the delicate neck, I let out a sigh of relief.

Finally.

"Mm," I let out a sound of pure delight.

It's the most delicious blood I have ever tasted.

It's like a drug to me.

I will never stop drinking it.

"Helen, please, stop." Cecilia's voice says.

I hesitate for a second, but although a part of me wants to stop, needs to stop, the shark in me has tasted blood, and there is no going back.

"Helen, why are you hurting her? You know I love her. Please stop." Tobias' voice says.

The moment I hear his pained voice, I stop and pull my teeth out of the girl's neck.

I want blood, but I don't want to hurt the only people who have been there for me.

All I ever wanted to do was protect Tobias. Help him be better than I ever was.

Even though we both look to be the same age, I have always seen him as my son, as someone I needed to keep safe and happy.

As I move away from my victim, blood dripping from my mouth, I realize that the girl is not Cecilia.

She doesn't look even remotely like her.

It's as if my subconscious stopped me by making me think I was hurting the ones I was sworn to protect, and I can't be more grateful.

I would've killed her, that much is clear, but I suppose some of Tobias' goodness has rubbed off on me, and I am so delighted about it.

I hadn't killed a person in a while, and although I've always struggled not to murder anyone, after my bloody beginnings, this was the closest I was to fall off the wagon.

Balancing out my bloodlust, and the rest of who I was, has always been a challenge and this was the closest I've been to slipping up in ages.

Before I could be tempted by the potent smell of blood, the girl is whisked away as if she has never been there to start with.

That's when I am finally able to hear Seymour and Alarcos calling my name.

"Helen, are you okay? Say something." Seymour says.

"I am fine. Just a small bloodlust issue." I say, trying to brush it off.

However, knowing how much I've struggled with it in the past, I don't fool Seymour.

"Are you sure you are okay?" He asks.

"Yes, I will be. It's never been this bad, that's all.

Didn't you see anything?" I ask.

"It was the strangest thing ever.

You suddenly went off, for no apparent reason, and then you sank your teeth into empty air.

The strangest thing was, that we could see blood coming out, but we couldn't see the source. It was trippy." Alarcos says.

"You have passed the test of self-control, something all vampires have to have if they wish to keep safe our way of life." The same voice from before said.

"Your tests suck, you know that?" I yell.

However, I can feel I am wasting my energy since the creepy presence is no longer there.

Exhausted, I sit on the ground, needing time to recuperate.

"Are you okay?" Alarcos asks this time.

"Yes, I just need a moment. That was intense." I say.

"We can rest as long as you want. We are not in a hurry." Seymour says.

They sit down next to me, and their companionship helps me get back to myself, to who I am now and not who I was in my dark past.

"I thought you knew all the tests?" I ask Seymour, unable to hide my bitterness.

"I thought so, too, but it seems they have changed many things since the last time I was here," Seymour says.

I can see he feels bad for not being able to help, so I don't press the issue.

"Will just have to wing it," Alarcos says.

And I can't help but smile at that, feeling so much better.

Yes, we will wing it, and we will be just fine. I have to believe that, otherwise, the guilt for risking their lives would eat me alive.