Chapter 11

Looking at Alarcos shifting from a brooding vampire to a five-year-old human with a new toy, is a sight to behold. It's as if the prospect of a puzzle has pushed whatever was bothering him to the background of his mind, and I am glad to see that. I think he needs time off from his problems, whatever they might be.

"Can you find the first book ever to mention the Healers? That might be a good starting point if we are to decipher the code they used." Alarcos says.

"Are we sure there is even code to decipher?" Seymour asks.

"No, not really," I say.

I try to hide the defeat in my voice, but Alarcos picks up on it nevertheless, which is a pleasant surprise since vampires generally don't pay so much attention to the feelings of other vampires.

"I am pretty sure that there is something there. It's highly probable that they would use a code to communicate to stay hidden yet stay in touch with their kind." Alarcos says.

"But, why hide, in the first place? Why not just come to the light of day? It's not like we wouldn't understand beings that are not completely human." Seymour says.

"Well, I guess they have their reasons. The same way we have our reasons for not making our existence known to humans. They would go insane plus they would probably start killing us off which they can do these days with the modern weapons they have at their disposal." Alarcos says.

"Besides, they might have an even better reason for avoiding vampires. From what I've gathered, Healer's blood is more tempting for vampires than that of humans. I could feel it, too, when I first found those vampires feeding on Tobias. It took all my self-control to turn him and not bleed him dry. The same is true for Cecilia's blood. If we are to judge by what Tobias has told me he has never been more tested by someone's blood." I say.

"That is an interesting point. I guess it's worth checking out. Here, I think this is the first book that mentions the Healers." Seymour says, giving the book to Alarcos.

"I'll focus on passages that specifically mention the Healers and then try out the different codes that I am aware of," Alarcos says.

"What if it's a new code?" Seymour asks.

"Don't be so negative, Seymour. It's not helping." I say.

"I am just trying to be realistic. It's possible." Seymour says.

"It's possible, but not probable. They need to stick to the same code, since they wouldn't have a chance to change it once they established or they would risk further exposure." Alarcos says, sounding like an expert.

That finally shuts Seymour up and I can't be happier because we need to have an open mind not question every single thing before having the chance to investigate it. Still, I can't blame him, I think he is trying to stop us from getting our hopes up only to be disappointed.

Seymour and I just sit there, giving Alarcos books from certain years when he asks for them and feeling utterly useless. During my extremely long life, it never even occurred to me to learn about secret codes. I should have been more vigilant.

Alarcos is lost behind books and papers, chewing the poor pen until there is nothing left and mumbling to himself, and I can't help but be utterly grateful to him. I could never repay for everything he has done for us because I have a feeling that this will help, that this is the knowledge we will need for the future.

"Hm, so it's not Caesar shift but maybe something similar to it," Alarcos says, scrambling furiously.

With vampire speed he possesses, everything is a blur as he writes and crosses over different letters trying to combine them into different words. Honestly, I have no idea what he is doing, but it looks rather intense from where I am standing.

"Maybe the Vigenère square. That one has been called the undecipherable cipher, maybe they used it," Alarcos muttered deep in thought.

"Does that mean we can't decipher it?" I ask impatiently.

"Oh, no, not at all. It just was undecipherable for something like 300 years, so maybe the Healers would have seen it as the best choice at the time." Alarcos says, shuffling through the papers.

"So if I substitute this letter for this one...and then I move it three letters right...using that keyword..." Alarcos mutters.

However, I stop paying attention to him. It's obvious that it's rocket science to me, so I'll just wait patiently for him to tell us what he finds.

I don't even notice that I am tapping my fingers against the table until Seymour gently puts his hand over mine. He pats my hand gently, stopping the tapping that must have annoyed everyone in the library.

"If there is a code, he will find it. Puzzles are his passion, and I haven't yet seen a puzzle that he couldn't solve, so just relax." Seymour says.

His words have two contradictory effects on me. I am relieved to hear that but at the same time, I am thoroughly annoyed that I am treated like the crazy female who lacks any patience whatsoever.

Seymour is saved the wrath of my mood swings by Alarcos jumping up from his chair and writing even more furiously going through different books with a speed of light. Then, finally, with a sigh of satisfaction, he settles down in his chair.

"I got it!" He says excitedly.

"So, what does it say?" I ask.

"Well, I don't know yet, but I've figured out which code it is. It's a simple Vigenère square with the keyword Healer, too easy if you ask me." Alarcos says, his eyes shining in excitement.

"Alarcos, I told you a million times that people don't like it when you do that!" Seymour says, chiding Alarcos.

"Do what?" Alarcos asks, confused.

"Have an 'Aha moment' and then completely confuse people around you with your explanations that make no sense to anyone who is not a puzzle enthusiast," Seymour says.

Although he is trying to sound reproachful, I can feel the fondness in his voice. It's like humans scolding their child while secretly finding it cute. It sounds like a recurring conversation and having witnessed one of Alarcos' revelations I can confirm that the 'aha moments' as Seymour calls them, can be quite annoying.

"So tell me, when will you be able to tell us anything we might even begin to understand?" Seymour asks.

Alarcos smiles sheepishly and starts taking stock of the books around him. I can see him calculating in his mind, and I am impressed. Even though my brain capacity has increased since I became a vampire, math has never been easy for me, it's nice to see that's not true for him.

"About an hour or so?" Alarcos says, unsure.

"Okay, how about we take a walk, give you some space, and meet you back here in an hour?" Seymour asks.

"That sounds great," Alarcos responds thoroughly immersed in solving the mystery.

"Let's go. When he is in the zone, the best we can do is leave him to play with his toys." Seymour says.

"I heard that," Alarcos says, not lifting his eyes.

"I know you did," Seymour says, chuckling softly.

It feels like a game they have played many times, but surprisingly enough, I don't feel jealous about it.

And that's how my tour of the enormous kingdom of books starts with Seymour as my guide.