Chapter 13

Surprisingly enough, our current situation helps me better understand Cecilia, how confusing it must have been for her to realize that supernatural beings she heard stories about were real. How difficult was it for her to reconcile the myth with the truth?

I am guessing it was even worse for her, having in mind that vampires are supernatural beings everyone fears, monsters and yet in a blink of an eye she became one. It must have been such a huge shock for her. I feel so bad for adding to her misery by implementing my strange ways of training a newborn.

In my defense, it would have worked for others, but having in mind her Healer blood, killing a human was what made things even worse for her. Two different parts of who she was conflicted, and it almost tore her apart.

Luckily, Tobias managed to create such a deep connection with her, he saved her. Though she did save him back and now I am thinking that's what Healers do, they save each other, and others.

Even though I know that my revelation is much less terrifying, after all, Healers are the good guys, it still feels like my whole world is shifting. What I thought I knew without a shadow of a doubt was but a mere illusion that I gladly accepted as reality.

"Are you okay?" Seymour asks when he feels I wouldn't say anything ever again.

"Yes. It's just a lot to absorb. It changes everything." I say.

"What do you mean? You came here to look for the information about the Healers, and we have found a little treasure trove." Seymour says.

"The thing is that I was still doubtful about their existence when we came here. I THOUGHT that might be the reason why Cecilia and Tobias were so drawn to each other and different from the rest of us. However, to have proof of another species which you weren't aware of for centuries, it's mind-blowing." I say.

I can see that my answer surprises him, but he doesn't ask me anything. He doesn't ask why it was so important for me to find out the truth even though it shook me to the core. I think he doesn't have to.

He has spent enough time around Tobias and Cecilia to notice that they are different. However, the question is, can a person be born as a supernatural being and not know it? Could I be wrong in assuming they are Healers?

"Is there a way to tell if someone is a Healer? Are there any distinguishing features or anything?" I ask Alarcos.

"Well, hm, I think I saw something besides the sweet smell of their blood," Alarcos says.

Then he starts going through the books with the speed of light, finally stopping on the right page.

"Here it is. They have a wart, that's why many of them had been burned in Salem. Everyone who had a wart was considered a witch and burned at the stake, but most of those women were the village Healers." Alarcos says.

"Like any wart? Humans have warts too, so how do you tell a difference between a human and a Healer?" I ask, annoyed.

I mean, everything is so vague, and I need everything to be clear and concise for my brain to understand fully. Why couldn't there be an easy test or something to tell the difference?

"Well, it's not crystal clear in these books. There are a few mentions of unusual warts and some other things, but everything is very vague, probably because they were communicating with each other, and if you are a Healer you already know these kinds of things." Alarcos says.

I can't stop the wave of disappointment from washing over me. Even though we have the proof I need that the Healers are real, I still won't be able to know if Cecilia and Tobias truly are Healers.

"However..." Alarcos says.

He makes a long, dramatic pause, and I am on a verge of yelling at him or hitting him or something if he doesn't tell me everything he learned.

Seeing my annoyed look, he quickly goes on, stopping with his theatrics.

"There is a place where we can learn more about them," Alarcos says.

"What place is that?" I ask on the verge of my patience.

"It's a place similar to this only for Healers. From what I've gathered, it is called The House of Healing. It is one place where all their knowledge has been gathered through centuries. I am sure we could learn everything there is to know about them there." Alarcos says.

A small smile of satisfaction reaches my lips, and I can't help but feel content that our quest went even better than expected. We got all we might need to learn the truth.

"Where is The House of Healing?" Seymour asks.

"Well, that's a tiny little problem. I am not sure." Alarcos admits.

"What? You made it sound like it would be an easy trip to make, but you don't even know where it is?" I yell at him.

"Easy Helen, I am sure he has a good explanation," Seymour says.

He lowers his hand on top of mine, and surprisingly enough, it manages to calm me down enough to listen to what Alarcos has to say. The fact that I think he is an okay vampire also helps.

"The reason I am unsure is this riddle that I am not convinced I am reading correctly." He says.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Precious liquid that you don't want to lose

will guide you to all the clues,

to get where you must go

you must take a long stroll.

To the top let it guide you

to where no one would think to find you." Alarcos cites the riddle.

"Why do you think you are not reading it correctly?" I ask.

"Because it sounds too easy," Seymour says.

"Exactly," Alarcos says with excitement sparkling in his eyes.

"What it tells us is to follow the blood. That should be easy, especially for us." Alarcos adds.

"You forget that they are all about the preservation of blood, they would never spill it unnecessarily. I think what they wanted to say is follow your blood, what it tells you, where to go, to follow the pull of your Healer blood. This is their ultimate protection. Only a Healer can find this place by following its call to their blood." I say.

I am finally able to understand what it all means and what has to be done which doesn't make me the happiest person on the planet. As a matter of fact, at the moment, I think it makes me the grumpiest person on this whole planet.

I wish there was some way for the three of us to do this alone, but I know better now. There is no way for the three of us to get to the bottom of this by ourselves, we need help.

"What now?" Seymour asks.

"We go home and ask for help," I say.

Then all three of us set off from the one place that offered us some understanding of what it means to be a Healer, determined to reach the House of Healing and learn more. At least that's what we are hoping to do while still having in mind the obstacles we might encounter.