Chapter 44

As we are running away from our problems, literally, I can't help but regret that it has come to this. Even to myself, I am starting to sound like a fledgling who can't protect herself nor decide what it is I want.

However, after all the horrible experiences I've had with men, I simply can't believe that there is a man in the world whose sole goal is to protect me, to help me heal. What makes me even more suspicious is that Eliot seems to have made that decision the moment he met me.

Who else but crazy people and manipulators would do that? I know that Cecilia might believe it was some kind of love at first sight, but I don't believe in that.

Not only do I not believe in love at first sight, but I also am not sure I even believe in love anymore. It's a concept that has proven to be more painful than anything else over the centuries I've been alive.

"Are you okay?" Eliot asks after a few moments of quiet running.

"I am fine, just thinking," I say.

"About me, I hope," he says with a smirk.

"No, actually, I was thinking about me," I say.

"I am glad to hear that. You seem to be the type of person who rarely thinks about herself, and I am happy that you are finally prioritizing your well-being over ours." Eliot says.

"Are you really?" I ask suspiciously.

"Wouldn't that mean that you will be in more danger if I am not there to protect you? Wouldn't it be more convenient for you if I didn't put myself first?" I add.

"No, I can take care of myself, and I think we should all learn to take care of ourselves first and foremost. Only when we are well can we take care of others. That is one of the first things one learns as a Healer." Eliot says.

His words make more sense than I would like to admit, but I don't understand why he is directing them towards me. I don't think I am putting the well-being of others before my own.

That blunder with the sword and all that was just a logical step. I knew that if I got hurt, I would live, and Eliot wouldn't. At least that's what I thought.

"What would have happened if you were the one stabbed? Can Healers heal themselves?" I ask, changing the subject.

"I would've probably died if I got stabbed, but I still think I could have avoided the sword," Eliot says.

"However, thank you for saving my life," he says for the first time with humbleness that I didn't believe he had.

"You're welcome. But I don't get it. Why can't you just heal yourself if you get hurt?" I ask my curiosity too great to be curbed.

"As a Healer, you can channel your energy to heal people but healing yourself is impossible since the injury is draining your healing powers. It's like trying to pull out water from a sinking ship, more keeps taking its place." Eliot says.

"I see," I say as we continue the journey in silence as I mull over all that I know about this strange guy.

One hour later, Eliot starts to slow down, and so do the rest of us since he is the one leading the way at this point.

"We are close. I have to go first and prepare the others for your arrival since if we just barge in, there might be trouble, someone might get hurt." Eliot says.

"You can wait for me here and rest for a bit. I'll go and prepare my people for something they've never seen before, tame vampires," Eliot says, winking in my direction.

All he gets from me in response is a loud growl of warning, which for once he takes seriously and stops his teasing and proceeds to the Healer sanctuary.

"How much do we trust this guy?" Seymour asks the moment Eliot is gone.

"As much as I can trust anyone these days," I say.

I can't very well tell him that I trust Eliot with my life though I would never admit it aloud. Even admitting it to myself sounds foolish since I have absolutely no reason to trust him or distrust him for that matter. The truth is I don't know anything about the guy, and yet there is something...

There was a connection formed between the two of us the moment we met, a strange pull that I dare not try to explain. I fear that the explanation might be something I am not ready to accept.

"What other choice do we have?" Alarcos asks, exasperated by his boyfriend.

"I think Eliot won't betray us, but I am not so sure how the rest of the Healers will react to us. Especially to you three who are full-blood vampires." Cecilia says.

"If something goes wrong, we can always split up. That way, you can still learn about your roots, and I am sure we can find a safe space from the Vampire Council." I say.

I can see that Tobias is about to protest, but he is interrupted by Eliot's return. We are all shocked to note that he is not alone.

A gorgeous blond girl is standing by his side, almost jumping up and down in joy. I believe that she is as beautiful as a human can be, and a pang of jealousy pierces my heart much harder than the sword pierced my stomach.

"Oh, my gosh, real vampires! You don't look so scary," the woman says excitedly, holding on to Eliot's hand.

Of course, that is when I bare my teeth and growl at her menacingly to prove my point. We are not animals at the zoo or cute bunnies, we are vampires, and this girlfriend of Eliot's needs to learn the difference as soon as possible.

"Now, now, Helen don't you go around scaring your future sister-in-law," Eliot says with that infuriating smile of his.

Sister-in-law? I don't know if I should be relived or infuriated that he would assume that I would ever marry anyone. I settle for relief since I realize his comment is said to gauge my reaction, and I won't let him see he got to me.

"Oh, Helen, I am sorry you had to deal with my stupid brother. No wonder you feel like growling, my brother can be so infuriating sometimes," the woman says.

"Enough of that. This is my sister Olivia, and these are Cecilia and Tobias, Seymour, and Alarcos, and this is Helen," Eliot says.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I am sorry about the whole growling business, but you are right. Your brother can be so annoying. Thus, my need for growling." I say.

"That's alright. I understand. Eliot can be so pretentious at times, but he is a good guy when you get to know him better." Olivia says, punching her brother in the shoulder.

"I'll trust your word on that," I say.

"How did it go?" Tobias interrupts our banter to ask Eliot.

"They are willing to meet up with you and hear you out. After that, they will make a decision about whether to help us or not." Eliot says.

"What are our chances like?" Tobias asks.

"They would love nothing more than to get rid of the Vampire Council, but we are not as trained in fighting as you are. If they judge that you can help at least hurt them, they will agree to shelter us until Helen recovers completely." Eliot says.

"Alright then, let's go," I say.

"Wow, you sure are eager to meet the parents, and we haven't even gone on a first date," Eliot says, giving me his brightest smile.

I ignore his comment and start following his sister towards the Healer sanctuary.