Dean Portman

Requested by demonicangelbabe

Out of the few selected to play in the Junior Games, I am one of those lucky people who have the chance to. I am very excited to show my talents. I'm a forward, I play right wing. Hockey came to me easily, like how walking came easily to newborn animals. The sport was dominated by boys and girls did play, it wasn't common to see them at the high levels, or on a boys' team.

However, I was already being thought of as Lester Averman's sister. Why? Because of my flawless curly red hair and my big rimmed glasses. And I can't forget that we're about the same height, coming in around 5'4 or 5'5.  But, I could say that I'm not ad cocky as he is and maybe a little more expressive with my opinion. Whereas his opinion is more laid back and goofy, mine is serious and charming.

It was funny, but I was not, in anyway, related to Lester Averman. 

Skating onto the ice, Mr. Tibbles had brought the Ducks onto the ice to introduce them to us new comers. There was six of us, but only five of us seemed to be standing in a group. I recall seeing the tall broad boy being somewhere else, but I don't know where. Coach Gordon Bombay stood among the group of eight Ducks, his first ever hockey players that he'd ever taught. I knew Tibbles, but only a little. He'd introduced himself to me when he and Hendrix went out looking for more recruits for Team USA's team.

"Tell me about my new kids." Bombay spoke up, hands on his hips. Luis took his shot first and sped around the rink with ease. He was incredibly fast, quite good looking too, but I found myself liking someone else. 

"That's Luis Mendoza. I clocked him at 1.9 seconds blue line to blue. Incredible skater."

"I'd say." Bombay nods, already impressed, until Luis turned and tried to stop behind the net. He didn't seem to stop like how most imagine a speedster like him could. He'd fallen into the boards before collapsing back onto the ice. We'd gone over to help him up and then Dwayne took his turn.

After most of the people got through, it was my turn now and the giant guy they call Dean Portman ruined my thunder. "This is Sky Taylors. A real perfected player with great skill and fiery attitude on the ice." Tibbles introduced me. 

I pulled my helmet down over my face and spun around my small group of new comers before I trailed along the boards, showing off my skills in skating, shooting and scoring. Eventually they'll see me doing great team plays later on when we actually player. As I came around the net, going to shoot, the tall boy who'd wandered off had wandered back to the ice. He'd thrown his stick to Julie Gaffney, a goaltender, and then pushed between two Ducks, then grabbed Ken Wu, an Olympic Figure Skater, and put him on the net.

From the corner of my eye, I could see him coming towards me. I wasn't going to let a goon like him ruin my time to shine. If he messes me up, then it shows these Ducks and the new coach how awful I am. They would think less of me because of it and I couldn't have that.

Dean noticed me in my light and skated over as he sang terribly and danced around on the ice, the sleeves of his jersey torn off and revealed a skull tattoo on his right upper shoulder. As Dean came over to ruin my thunder, I interrupted him. Instead of shooting the puck into the net like I wanted, I 'accidentally' swung too hard, causing my stick take out Dean's feet from beneath. He fell to the ice quickly with groan.

I intended to knock him down, but I have no idea what the outcome will be. I stood there, 'apologizing', but everyone was kinda in shock and smiles. To them, I stood up to the goon because they all seemed to dislike him, but to me, I wanted to show him who was boss and he certainly wasn't gonna run all over me. 

"Hey, you tripped me." He accused me.

I shook my head. "I did not trip you." I tried not to laugh. "I was shooting a puck, which, by the way, is over there." I pointed, where it was few feet away from us and no where near the net.

"So? It's me that ya hit."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"I did not."

"You did too." He continued as we bickered back and forth. 

He put a hand to the ice and stood up on ice. He approached me and I looked at him, not scared of him because there were other people here that he couldn't pull a stunt to hurt me. He was rough, sure, but I could be, too. 

"You're lucky."

"Why? 'Cause I'm a girl?" I asked him, crossing my arms. "Or because I just knocked you off your feet and you can't do anything about it?" I smirked.

He grew frustrated with me. "Try me."

"Watch out, Portman." I skated backwards as  Coach Bombay began separating us to start a scrimmage so Tibbles could grab Miss MacKay, who ever she was. I continued and arrived to center ice with Dwayne and Ken, where Dwayne took face off.

By the end of the practice, the locker room was quiet with only six of us in there changing. Julie and I were growing to know each other a little more as we spoke together. However, Dean Portman had decided to meet me as I was leaving the locker room. I didn't know what he wanted or if he actually needed anything. Continuing down the hall with my hockey back, he easily carried his own bag and walked slightly behind me as he called my name.

"Hey, Redhead." He spoke, he wasn't there to catch my name, so I can see why he's calling me something else. "Yo, Red."

I stopped and turned on my heels. "It's Sky and you would know that if you listened more often." I told him.

He shrugged. "Whatever, I just want to know why you did what you did. No one's ever stood up to me."

I shrugged now and looked at him. "Well, because I came here to play hockey and the only players who are going to push me around are the opposing teams' players, not you." I stepped forward, poking his chest and he looked at me, as if that didn't have an effect or hurt him.

"Okay, Shorty." I gasped at his words, I'm 5'4, not that short. "Between you and me, this was nothing."

"If you say so..." I trailed, walking off with a smile. "But don't forget, I can and will take you on, Dean Portman." I said as I turned the corner, waving and he stood confused in the hall. He was still a little upset about a small girl like me being able to take down a kid like him. The only thing I did was is trip him and if he can't handle a little tripping from me, then he can't handle anything. 

I have to admit, I left that evening to my hotel room with a smile and smirk, impressed with what I did. Dean Portman won't think to mess with me again.