#Chapter 17: Merely Pretence?

#Chapter 17(Jennifer’s Pov)

Today, school ended normal for me. It’s as if my original life has finally returned to me. Lisa, Drew and I hang out after school just like we used to. Seeing this moment makes me feel as if I’m just like a normal teenager who just has to worry about exams, school work and prepare for my college next year.

“Hey!” Lisa exclaimed.

Her sudden outburst broke the trance I’ve been in. I looked at her and saw her fighting with Drew. Gosh my friends are such a kid. I shook my head, at their bickering. My lips were lifted into bitter smile before a gentle smile as I recalled back to how I first met them.

I was walking to school earlier than usual that day. I tugged onto my long-sleeved shirt, hiding my bruises. I felt that I had to go out of the house to avoid waking the people in my house up and continue doing what they were doing to me last night. I shuddered as I remembered last night.

Last night, mum had invited a bunch of filthy men and some drug-addict looking women. They had made so much noise and made a mess in the house. Me, being only 15 had to keep my mouth shut and get to bed.

But on that day, I was so unfortunate. One of mum’s friends came into my room. I was terrified and pulled the cover of my bed up, hiding in it. She was high and drunk out of her mind. She pulled me by my legs out of bed. I lay completely still; thinking maybe she would just leave me alone or maybe mum would come in and bring her out.

But I was wrong, so wrong. She snickered and I could still remember the words she said to me that night, “Look at this scared kitten, just pleading for me to beat her up!”

With that statement she started laughing hysterically, kicking me and punching me in the stomach. She treated me like I’m some punching bag. I shouted for my mum to come in but she didn’t hear at all. I tried fighting her back but I was too weak and outnumbered as soon as another women and men came in. I thought they might stop her but apparently not. I was beaten black and blue. I was lucky that I was alive.

I stumbled into a lanky boy and I was brought back to reality. He turned and looked at me through his black spectacles with his eyebrows furrowed. I muttered a quiet sorry and walked past him. He stood in front of me pulling onto my sleeves, to stop me. The sleeves were lifted enough to let my bruises shown and I gasped.

I felt him taking a sharp intake of breath. I quickly pulled down my sleeves and ran away. I thought I had escaped from him but turn out he was in my science advanced class. He sat next to me. He didn’t ask about my bruises. He was somehow protecting me and stayed by my side. He might have thought I’m being bullied by the students there.
--------
I had a science project group on the next day. He, me and Lisa was assigned to be one group. We had to hang out a lot and thus we spend a lot of time knowing each other and get closer.  From that day we became friends, more like best friends.

“Jennifer! Could you please tell that dickhead that Taylor Lautner is wayyy hotter than him!” Lisa complained.

I laughed. Drew just shrugged and folded his arm.

“Excusez-moi, je suis bien plus chaud! (Excuse me, I’m way hotter!)” He retorted fluently in French.

“Okay whatever guys! I’m the hottest here! Happy?” I exclaimed, stopping their bickering at once.

They rolled their eyes and I smirked. I took out my phone, to check for the time. It was nearly 5 in the afternoon. My eyes widened at how fast time has passed. I turned to them and told them that I had to get home. Both of them pouted before giving me a hug and went back to their separate way home.