#Chapter 21: How could this be possible?!

#Chapter 21(Jennifer’s Pov)

It didn’t take me that much of time packing my belongings as I just got here recently. I gave a last glance at the three beds before sighing. I know I’ve only met them for a while but I guess they’ve been nice to me and I will miss them. I wrote a letter for them and wish them luck in the future. I smile as I thought about my lucky life ahead. I’m going to start a new life with a new normal family. With that positive thinking, I put on a friendly smile and went to the office.

Mrs Janet had ordered several men to help me with my boxes. I thank them and sat in one of the chair, waiting for the man earlier. I drummed my fingertips nervously on the table, looking at the clock. It has been 20 minutes and he hasn’t appeared yet. From what I heard, while I was gone packing my belongings, the man had gone somewhere to settle some important stuff. He should be back by now I guess.

I bit my lips as I thought about other possibilities. What if he has changed his mind? What if he didn’t want to adopt me on the second thought? I mean I came from a really bad background. What else from broken family and ex-drug-addict mum. I sighed and massage my forehead, feeling the headache that had suddenly appeared.

“Jennifer Hudson?” a manly voice asked unsurely.

I turned and looked at the man in front of me. He looked to be in his early fifties. He has good features and was slightly darking-looking than the man earlier. Probably a Hispanic. I tilted my head to the side in confusion seeing the different man in front of me. Seeing my confusion, he gave a deep chuckled and smile, squinting his eyes in the process.

“Hi! I’m Drag-ke… Drake Rodriguez. You can call me Drake. Your dad has something important to do so I’m here to take you home.” He stammered at first before smiling it off.

I quirked up my eyebrow at his stammering but just ignore it. I mean he must be really nervous. I would say the same for me.

“Hello, I am Jennifer. Oh you mean my adoptive dad?” I asked, correcting his error.

Something flickered in his eyes before he blinked it away. He nod and gave me a small smile.

“I’m sorry for that. Yes your adoptive dad will be at home waiting for you. So shall we get going dear?” He apologized before asking me gently.

His warm gestured and smile made the uneasiness and wariness in me to fade away. With a grateful smile, I nod and pick up my bag and followed him out of the room. As I went out I realised that all the students had gathered there looking at me with envy. I spotted all three of roommates. Katerina and Clara gave me a wide smile, clearly happy for me while Belle just looked at me blankly before finally resorting in giving me a tiny smile. A smile that I almost couldn’t see.

I waved and gave them a small smile before seeing Adriana sobbing her heart out. I was surprised by her sudden hug. It has been only a few days and she looks like she was going to miss me terribly. I patted on her back and assured her that I will be okay. She nod and gave a last tight hug before smiling at me. I returned her smile and turned my attention to the car in front of me.

“Wow! Nice car…” I said in a daze.

“Thanks. It’s one of your dad’s- I mean your adoptive dad’s cars. Come on in.”  He said clearly proud of the man, my adoptive dad.

I nod still stunned and went into the backseat which he then stopped me. He motioned me to take the front passenger seat. My eyes widened but it turned to excitement as I realised I could get the privileged to see the car even more clearly now. I gave a last glance to the people in the orphanage home and wave before I returned my view to the front of the car.