#Chapter 20: I hope things turn out right this time.

Note: Probably this Chapter onwards, I will be putting diiferent people POV. So please do not get confused:)

#Chapter 20(Jennifer’s Pov)                                            

 It has been about 4 days since mum’s death. I can’t deny that I missed her terribly. Today is another free day before I start my school days tomorrow. Everyone, including my roommates had gone to their respective classes and now I’m all alone, doing nothing. I stared blankly at the wall, at my bed, at my ceiling and at the floor, spotting my bag. My eyes widened. Finally I can open the mysterious box.

I jumped out of my bed and dashed to the corner of the room where my bag was placed. I lifted my bag and flung both me and the bag onto the bed. Without any more pondering, I pulled out the wooden box and positioned it right in front of me. I studied the box carefully, seeing the tiny little designs that are carved on the surface of the box.

I gently dragged my finger along the designs, loving the feeling of it. There was a captivating flower design that caught my eyes, I lingered my hold on it longer and pressed onto it gently. I was stunned when the box clicked and the top of the box open slowly. I look into the box and found a small, brown diary with the word ‘Rose’ labelled. Along with that was a smaller black box.

I decided that I would read the diary first knowing that I would not have any more free time to do so. I flicked the first page.

_______________

20th May 1997

Today is the day, my daughter is finally born. I couldn’t be happier seeing her beautiful face. I feel as if my life is now really perfect. I have the best husband anyone would have ever wanted, a son that I will never regret having and now a beautiful daughter that would bring more joy in our life. However, little does she know how bad the world is out there… Jennifer Hudson, my darling, I, your father, and your brother will do anything to protect you from this wicked world. I thought that with the birth of Jennifer maybe it will open his heart and accept this family but I guess I’m wrong. I should have known that he was still bitter and will never accept our marriage, our elope marriage.

ROSE HUDSON

______________

I stared in shocked. Who is the person she’s talking about? Wicked world? My mind was in turmoil. I decided that I should read to the recent one. I flipped all the way to the back and saw the very recent, in fact 4 days ago, before mum died.

_________________

20th August 2014

The time has flown ever so quickly. My daughter has grown up to be the great woman I know she would be. It’s a shame that I’ve not been part of her life as she was growing. I’ve been such a bad parent to her. That old man had finally had what he wanted. My family, to break apart. Every day I punished myself for the way I treated her. I’ve been venting my anger on her for everything. I was supposed to continue the tradition to write in this book, every year on her birthday, but I’ve broke it this year. And the worst of all, I didn’t even celebrated her birthdays ever since she was 12. I don’t deserve her. She’s been such a good daughter to me but what did I do? I had just beaten her, cursed her, insulted her and literally broke her. She’s been out, not coming back for several days this entire semester. Is she okay out there? Is she finally sick and tired of me? And when I thought she had finally left me by myself, alone forever, she surprises me by coming back.

The first thing she asks was if I was okay. I wished I could be the normal mother she wants and all. I want to be able to do everything a mother could with her daughter. But I’ve ruin that relationship. I know she hated me even if she doesn’t say it or show it. I was determined for the past few days to at least start being a rather good mother for a moment. The shocked on her face when I made her the breakfast made my heart wrenched in pain. She surprises me with a cheery voice and sincere smile.