"You're a Real Piece of Work"

"It doesn't matter what is in front of her.
Because of who's behind her."
                                                    -Roderick Klimek

   A yellow car sped down the road, 2 occupants inside anxious to get to their destination while the other sat, munching on a hotdog she had bought at the previous gas station.

  "Do you really think now's a good time to be eating" the backseat occupant asked, eyeing the passenger who had shoved the whole half of the hotdog into her mouth.

  The protector swallowed her food, rolling her eyes at the human. "Shut up backseat driver and focus on the scenery, maybe we'll see some cows."

  The human huffed, slouching in her seat as she stared out the windows, watching the greenery pass.
                                           ***
  "So, I'm guessing you didn't rent this car" Bella joked from the backseat.

  Alice let out a chuckle, "I figured you wouldn't be opposed to a little grand theft auto."

  "Not today" Bella agreed, clinging onto her seat belt as the car took a hard lurch to the left.

  "Holy shit Alice" Nixie yelled, grabbing the wheel from the vampire as she let go, staring at the road ahead. Nixie steered the wheel, making sure to go loosely around the sharp turns while Alice was still unmoving in the drivers seat. Finally, the vampire grabbed the wheel back.

  "What did you see" Bella asked after calming heavy breaths from their almost crash.

  "They refused him" she uttered, frowning at what she saw.

  "So?" Bella asked, wasn't that a good thing?

  "He's gonna make a scene. Show himself to the humans" she informed.

  "No" Bella exclaimed, "when?"

  Nixie let out a groan from her seat, Eddy you're so fucking dramatic dude.

  They ignored the protector, "he's gonna wait until noon, when the sun's at it's highest."

  Bella's leg bounced in the back seat, sticking her head between the 2 in front, "God, Alice" she breathed, "you gotta hurry up" she encouraged.

  "There's Volterra" Alice spoke, catching Nixie and Bella's attention.

  The car raced between buildings, Nixie leaning over the center and honking the horn at people in the way.

  "Nixie" Alice hissed, only making the protector lay her hand on the horn again and hold it there for a good 10 seconds before Alice pushed her away.

  "Are we even supposed to be driving down here" Nixie asked, eyeballing the alleyway literally full of people.

  "Why are they all in red?" Bella asked, running her hands stressfully through her hair.

  "San Marco's Day Festival" Alice answered. "They're commemorating the expulsion of vampires from the city. It's the perfect setting. The Volturi will never let him get far enough to reveal himself."

  Nixie snorted, "how ironic" she muttered as she sat in a car with a vampire, on the way to save a vampire, who is going to be killed by a group of vampires. But there are no vampires.

  Bella smacked the seat she was on, "we have five minutes" she stressed, struggling to keep her cool.

  "I know Bella" Alice soothed, "just breathe."

  "Ah shit" Nixie hissed, eyeing the police that were blocking the road.

  Bella didn't even wait, exiting the car and pulling Nixie out with her, "Alice" she begged.