You Are The Reason

"If I could turn back the clock
I'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day
Keeping you safe."
-Calum Scott/Leona Lewis
(You are the reason)

(If you haven't heard that song^ I highly recommend listening to it!!)

"WARNING : TRIGGER WARNING AHEAD"
(Insinuations of rape and minor suicidal thoughts)

"Would you hurry your ass up" a male's voice groaned from outside her door.

"Would you shut up" she hissed as she opened the door causing the boys mouth to drop.

"Uh no" he shook his head, "get back in there and put on some clothes!"

Her green eyes narrowed, "these are clothes" she argued.

"No, those are not clothes, the point of clothes is to hide your skin not show it. I'm serious Nixie, get your ass back in there and put on a damn shirt."

Nixie's head fell back in exaggeration and she let out a loud groan. "Seriously Gale, I like this outfit!"

"Yeah well I don't, case closed, go change" her brother barked before pointing her back into her room.

"Fine" she growled before stomping back inside and slamming the door shut behind her. She went to open her closet but the sound of her brothers footsteps walking away from her door caused her to smirk. As quietly as possible the young protectress in training snuck over to her window before opening the bottom half and lifting her legs out. She let out a breath when the wind blew and she sat there on her windowsill for a second looking up at the stars.

"Nixie how long does it take to change a shirt?!" She heard her brother yell before she hastily hopped from the second story window and landed gracefully on the cement below. Shaking out the slight sting from her ankle, the young 17 year old quickly ran down the dark alleyway before she heard her brother rip open her bedroom door.

"DAMMIT NIXIE!!"

She giggled as she ran away from the scene before he looked out the window and saw her.

***

"W-what" her stunned eyes stared into his and she felt her mouth dry as she sucked in a sour breath.

Jasper smiled at his mate before reaching into his pocket and pulling out the ring that's been stashed there for months. "Will you marry me Phoenix Dovers?" He flipped open the lid and Nixie's eyes almost popped out of her head.

"Good God Jasper where the hell did you get that thing, the fucking Titanic?" She joked but in her mind she was internally panicking. Marry me. Was this right? What was she talking about, this was Jasper, of course it's right. But..

"I uh" Nixie could hardly form words and she saw Jasper's smile dim a little. "I..." her green eyes frantically searched for something to rest on but they kept making their way back to the diamond her boyfriend was currently holding. "I need to pee" she rushed out before standing and jumping from the roof to the ground and racing inside the house.

Jasper sat there for a moment with the ring box still open and extended as if Nixie were still in front of him. Realizing she had left, his arms slowly lowered and he closed the box with a loud smack. Placing it next to him, his eyes glanced up towards the sky as his mind raced with questions and doubts that were causing his eyes to fill with tears that were trapped in there. What just happened?