"Oh, Brother.."

"If you have no shadows
then you're not standing
in the light."
-Lady Gaga

  The room was silent, Nixie staring at Gale and Gale smirking back at her.

  "So" he trailed, "how'd you figure it out?"

  "Wasn't hard" Nixie retorted, "it took a while to connect the dots but things eventually fell into place."

  Gale nodded, "damn, I thought I did pretty good, what gave it away?"

  Nixie shook her head at her brothers nonchalant attitude, "your runes. You had them in that place I went after I died, and I didn't, that was the first clue."

  "And the second" he quizzed.

  "The second was the place I went and found you, our home.. which just so happened to be where you've been hiding out. You basically gave yourself away with that one" she chuckled. "But lastly, I was reading through some Grimoires about over there? It's called the Other Side, where supernatural beings go after they die, it's an astral plane for the dead. And who do I know, that has the ability to travel through those? That's right.. my big brother."

  Gale absorbed the information his sister listed and nodded with an impressed smile, "damn, you are good."

  "My only question is why?" Nixie's lips pursed as she tried not to let her hurt show, "why keep it from me?"

  "Well, it's not like I wanted to" Gale scoffed, "but those red eyed bloodsuckers are everywhere around here and I couldn't exactly walk out the door to come find you, you had to find me."

  "But why" she stressed, "why are the Volturi so obsessed with you?"

  Gale gave his little sister a dumbfounded look, "Nix... don't you see? It's not me they want, it's you."

  "Me" she gaped, "what the hell do they want with me?"

  "I may be able to travel astrally" he somewhat bragged, "but my physical body still stays in this plane. You on the other hand, Nixie your gift is something no other protector has ever had. If the Volturi got ahold of you, and changed you, your gift would be more powerful, more dangerous than anything else."

  "I don't understand" Nixie breathed, "I teleport, what's so special about that?"

  Gale dragged his hand down his face with frustration, "Nixie you don't just teleport, you literally open a gateway to different dimensions. Your portals could take you places you wouldn't believe. The Volturi know that if they could expand your capabilities they'd literally be unstoppable."

  "Well why didn't they change me the night they attacked everyone? Why leave me like this" Nixie asked as she remembered waking up to everyone else dead but she was without a scratch.

  "Because you have to be able to manipulate your gifts as a protector before being able to do it as a vampire. Getting turned while you're inexperienced will only slow down the process, they're waiting for you to get stronger. And judging by the look on your face, you know what I'm talking about" Gale guessed as he watched her stare off to the side with a frown.

  Nixie pursed her lips, thoughts racing through mind before she finally spoke. "My gifts, I've been working on them..."

  "Working on them how Phoenix" Gale interrogated as he began to pace.

  "It's not much" she argued, "but I can actually teleport inanimate objects now instead of just myself, and I don't have to be touching them anymore."