"Just Say the Words..."

"I keep dragging around
what's bringing me down,
if I just let go, I'd be set free.
Holding on,
why is everything so heavy?"
                         -Lincoln Park
(Heavy)

  The snow fell softly, the supernaturals around the fire not even phased by the frozen tundra. Jake sat in front of the fire with a small grin, "this is what I'm talking about" he hummed, "a little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories." His eyes traveled to the people in front of him and his grin dimmed, "or just standing there like frickin' statues."

  Nixie chuckled as she plopped down on the seat beside him, body soaking in the warmth the fire was offering. Garrett appeared beside her with Kate on his lap.

  "Name any American battle, I was there" he boasted earning an eye roll from the protectress.

  Jake's thoughts raced as he tried to remember what he learned in school, "Little Bighorn" he tried.

  Garrett smiled like it was his favorite memory, "I came this close" he stated pinching his fingers together, "to biting Custer. But the Indians got him first."

  "Try Oleg's assault on Constantinople" Kate bragged, "he didn't win that one on his own."

  Nixie's head snapped towards the Irish coven who raced to join them, "if you're talking battles, you're talking the Eleven Years' War" Liam smirked, "no one does rebellion like the Irish."

  "You lost the Eleven Years' War" Garrett stated causing Nixie to laugh.

  "Aye" Liam confirmed, "but it was one hell of a rebellion."

  Garrett pointed his finger with a grin, eyes lighting up at the statement.

***

  "When we ruled, everything came to us" Vladimir's voice rang throughout the woods causing Nixie's lips to purse. "Prey, diplomats, favor seekers. Such was our power. But we never put on white hats and called ourselves saints."

  "We were honest about what we were" Stefan chimed with his creepy grin.

  Vlad grinned at his statement, "we sat still for a very long time. We didn't notice we were beginning to petrify."

  Stefan's eyes drooped, "perhaps" he mumbled, "the Volturi did us a favor when they.. burned our castles."

  Nixie felt her heart pang with sympathy, sure they were creepy, but she was very familiar with getting your life taken away in an instant. She didn't let it show, but she truly felt sorry for Stefan and Vladimir's loss.

  "We've been waiting 1,500 years to return that favor" Vladimir admitted earning gulps from those around them.

  Unable to listen to yet another war story, Nixie stood from her spot on the log and padded deeper into the forest. The snow didn't phase her as she trudged through it, the only thing affected being her socks that were becoming slightly wet. "Ew" she whined, "wet socks."

  "Yeah" a voice spoke scaring the shit out of her, "those are the worst."

  Nixie's head snapped up and narrowed, "Gale, what the hell are you doing here?" Eyeing her brother she noticed an odd glimmer and chuckled, "you're not here."

  Gale smiled at his sister's ability to always notice everything, "right you are little sister, simply here in a spirit that's all" he cheekily grinned.