17 - Max Verstappen

Y/n's POV 

Max was acting very weird ever since we stepped out of the plane in Abu Dhabi. He couldn't stop looking at his phone and seemed to be shaking. I know for fact it wasn't because of the race, he's never nervous about racing. 

"Ok Max stop acting like this! What is going on ?" he huffed out loud and went to the bedroom of our hotel suite. I followed him there to find him with his face smashed into the pillow. 

"Babe come on, you have to tell me if you want me to help you" he mumbled a quiet yes to my statement and put his head on my lap letting me brush his hair with my fingers. 

"It's just that I want to do good for this last one of the year you know? This season was all about mixed feelings and I want to be at my best which wasn't often the case" I pouted at his small sigh and kissed his forehead. 

I understood his frustration, this season was definitely a challenge for Max, he had lots of ups and downs and it was very different from the others. I do believe he'll bounce back next year but right now I just wanted to cheer him up. 

"How about we go for a swim or the hot tub you choose and then some dinner ?" he gave me a small nod and to the pool, we went. We swam for a couple of hours and then spent half an hour in the hot tub which was very relaxing. 

We had dinner in our suite in our bathrobes watching some random tv show that was on which ended up in a perfect cuddling session. 

*The next morning*

I woke up to cold sheets, Max had already left for the circuit, I'd later join him for the second session of free practice. I worried for him, he seemed so distraught last night. I just hope he won't mess with his race weekend. 

I decided to take a quick shower and get dressed in a simple pair of beige linen high waisted shorts, white crop top, and Nike sneakers. I added a small black Chanel crossbody bag and headed out. 

I didn't do my make-up because since it was so hot out there, it would have melted in an instant.  

When I got to the paddock I met with Lewis' girlfriend, Grace, she's such an angel and so sweet. We're close friends and try to see each other as soon as we get the opportunity. 

We ate lunch together and talked about what's going on right now. 

After spending some time with Grace we parted ways, she went to the Mercedes garage and I made my way to the Reb Bull one. I was met with Max's engineer who gave my usual headset and told Max wasn't in a good mood. 

I sat in the VIP places and watched Max talk with his head down, I could sense he wasn't focused at all. It's so weird I've never seen this. Yes, he had bad days but not like that, he engineer patted him on the shoulder as he got ready to enter the car. 

I watched his practice session which was quite better than the first one as I saw his time for the first. He definitely had a better pace and showed no mercy on the track, which made me feel a little bit better. 

Saturday rolled in quickly and it was qualifying day, Max was already in his car waiting for the signal to go. I sat right behind with his sister Victoria who had managed to come this weekend. 

Everything started quite well and went smoothly that was until Max hit a barrier really hard, everyone in the red bull was very quiet, Christian kept repeating the same dreading questions "Max are you ok? Can you hear me ?".

Victoria and I were gripping our hands together scarred that something had happened to him. My heart beating fast and no answer coming down the line.

Then we heard him breathing slowly, "I'm fine, I'm fine" I released my breath and looked at Victoria who's face showed some relief. 

20 minutes later he came into the garage very calm and collected, I immediately sensed he had thrown some rage in his car our outside. I joined him in his room, we hugged and nuzzled his face in my neck. 

We stayed like this for some time before he had to talk to the media for the post-qualifying interviews. I went back to our hotel room to order some dinner for me and him. 

I wish I could do more to help, I just hope he'll do better for the race. It would be sad if he didn't end up on the podium for the last one. 

When he entered the hotel room, his face showed something very precise, Max was exhausted and it was clear to me he would say he didn't want to eat, but tonight. I was going to force him to eat at least a spoon of the delicious pasta that I ordered. 

"Max I know what you're going to say and the answer is no" I crossed my arms to show him that the point was made. 

"Come Y/n, just, ugh" he tried to say something but gave up and started eating. Seeing he was doing a little bit better I went to take a shower. Once I came out of the bathroom, Max was sleeping only his sweatpants giving me a nice view of his bare torso. 

I put my pajamas and snuggled next to him. 

*The next morning*

Race day, I wish I could think happily but I was more nervous than anything. I decided to go with Max, usually, I'd go later but I just wanted to be with him and show him that I am here. Always. 

After the national anthem, Max went to his car which was parked P14 after his disastrous qualifying and chatted with his coach and engineers. I was in the garage with a headset covering my ears sitting next to Victoria. 

Max got into his car and waited for the lights to go out and when they did, he rocked that race and made his way to P2. 

I was now waiting for him to finish to get ready for the media post-race interviews. HE got out of his changing room very clean and very very handsome. 

"Come on babe I need to show you something" I frowned but smiled up at him and followed him. He led us to the track where his trophy was silently sitting in the middle of nowhere. 

"Max why is your trophy hanging in there alone ?" I asked while walking towards it. He didn't answer but I just went over and saw there was a letter in it, so I decided to read it.

Y/n, the love of my life, you've always been there for me. My biggest support and number one fan. You helped me going through so much and I will forever be grateful for you. I could go over and over about how I love you and how I want to spend the rest of my life with you so without any further ado Y/n...

I look up from the letter with teary eyes seeing Max down on his knee. 

"Will you marry me ?" I nodded furiously and launched myself at his. "Yes yes yes Max" I cried, kissed him, hugged him until we both couldn't breathe. 

Max slid the ring on my finger, a shiny 5-carat oval cut diamond. He knew my favorite kind and picked the perfect one.

Suddenly we heard screams and confetti being blown our way. It was all the Redbull staff members and Christian filming everything, Daniel smiling and cheering for us. 

I never thought this would happen, completely unexpected! 

I linked his forehead with mine, closing my eyes loving the moment, "I love you Y/n".

"I love you Max"