51 - Max Verstappen (RQ)

This was requested by darkparadise49, I hope you like it! 

Y/n's POV

"Vicky we're going to be late to go to the race track," I said as my best friend Victoria or as I like to call her Vicky, was late as usual.

We're driving to the Circuit of The Americas today, here in Texas to see Victoria's brother Max.

He's a racing driver for the Red Bull Formula 1 team and we're all so proud of what he's accomplished so far at such a young age. 

I've been friends with the Verstappen's for as long as I can remember and it has always been the three of us growing up together and having fun. 

People often ask me why I never dated Max but I could never get them a proper answer since Max was my first everything. He was my first kiss, first love and I'll always look up to him but we could never be in a relationship.

We knew each other too well to be an actual couple, also, if we'd ever break up, Victoria would be put in a very uncomfortable situation and I didn't want to do that to her. 

 To this day, I still remember my first kiss with Max. It was all I could have hoped for, we were in my parent's garage, both 16 and Max just had gotten the news he was accepted into the Red Bull academy.

I had stolen my dad's beers and got a little bit tipsy.

We gossiped about high school and one second we were gossiping the next Max planted his lips over mine putting both of his hands over cheeks bringing me closer to him.

Everything was doing alright until I had to move away for my studies in management and had to say goodbye to them for a little while. 

That's when Max started dating Dilara, we didn't get along as she forbid Max to see me. Maybe she was insecure and scared that I'd do something and our friendship kind of fell apart.

Yet, that didn't mean that Max and I stopped seeing each other. On the contrary, whenever Dilara couldn't attend he would call me and I'd go, following him like a lost puppy. 

We'd end up sleeping together and I always feel bad, used, but somehow I can't refuse him. I let him do it because I love him. I'm usually the one who falls asleep first and he then leaves me to either go back to Monaco or to his bedroom. 

I understand he means well, sometimes, but I'm reaching a breaking point in my life where I don't know what to do anymore with my love life. 

Max obviously loves Dilara and I'm no one to break them up. 

"Y/n! Wake up from that daydream of yours, we're here" Victoria shook my shoulder and my heart started pounding nervously. 

I nodded and we got out of the car to go see Max. 

We walked down the paddock talking about the race previsions and quickly met with Max's teammate Alex. We entered the Red Bull hospitality and we're given water bottles. 

Before we could call for Max, the door of his private room opened with him getting out and surprisingly Dilara following behind him. 

Something caught my and Victoria's eyes, Dilara's left hand. A huge diamond was sitting on her ring finger, an engagement ring. Max proposed to her. 

"Oh. My. God." Victoria said her mouth hanging low open. 

I nodded speechless. I couldn't believe that after everything we've been through, he did it. 

I didn't think the news would affect me this much but it still hurts to see that he didn't even consider talking to me about it. Not even a word. 

"Hey guys !" Max said as I walked behind Victoria.

At this point, I just wanted to go back to my hotel room and just leave. I was too heartbroken to wrap my head around what was going on. 

"Max you didn't," Vicky said grabbing his shoulders, shaking them. He smiled at the two of us and nodded, wrapping his left arm around her waist.

"Congrats !" I said with a tight smile. 

We all sat together and had a quick chat before Max had to leave to go on the race track for qualifying. Dilara left us, thankfully, to join Cate, Pierre's girlfriend. 

The rest of the day was spent sitting in the garage looking at Max's stats and performance which were perfect, as usual. Vicky and I had lunch together, later joined by the handsome Charles Leclerc.

He offered us coffee, which we didn't refuse.

Dilara was grinning from ear to ear, illuminating the whole place, her beautiful diamond ring shining.

As for me, all week-end was forcing smiles on my face and just counting the hours and seconds to go home and put all of this behind. 

Victoria knew how I was feeling and didn't ask for anything, instead, she tried to make me laugh and I was grateful for her. If it wasn't for her I would already have had a huge meltdown. 

On Sunday, Max had a fantastic race and ended up second on the podium. 

Victoria told me she would stay for a few more days to visit around but I had to go back. We did have dinner and went out for drinks which was awesome. 

I didn't think I'd say goodbye to Max but I was wrong. So wrong. 

He came knocking at my door at three A.M., and my ignorant self, in the beginning, I thought it was to talk about his engagement and stopping whatever we had. 

Once again I was wrong. 

He went to kiss me but I pushed him immediately, my actions surprised him and me both.

"Y/n, everything alright ?" I shook my head no and sat on the bed. 

"I can't do it anymore Max, you're engaged now. Why did you even come here ?" Max furrowed his eyebrows and stood beside me.

"What do you mean you can't ?" now it was my time to give him a confused look.

"Max you asked Dilara to marry you, you have to stay faithful and I can't be apart of your lies anymore. I'm the one suffering in this and you're the one getting laid. I'm done with this, sorry."

His mouth hung low, letting his palms fall on his lap Max starred at the wall in front of him. After long minutes of silence, he spoke up.

"I just want you to be safe and I am so sorry if I caused you pain Y/n. I've known you for so long" I nodded and mumbled a small 'it's ok.'

Max left that night and it was for the best. We remained friends but not close as we were before, as for Victoria and me, we were still close and I'm lucky to have her. 

Max got married and as for me I never emotionally recovered from him. I guess you never forget your first love. Don't you?

 Don't you?