Chapter Four - So Close

(written by MrsNiallHoran :3)

-- Niall's POV --

Surprisingly enough, I was still up for drinking, even after last night. I could barely recall what went on since I was absolutely wasted, but I knew the jist of it - I told Zayn about Liam, got drunk, convinced Liam to dance with me, and then Liam carried me back home.

I sighed, tapping my fingers on the table as I waited for Liam. "Another round." I muttered to the bartender. It felt so lonely over here. Me and Liam were like inseperable now - it was weird to be without him, even though I knew that he was still in the building.

"Well," he sighed as he walked over. "Looks like I've got a new enemy."

I frowned. "Harry didn't take it well?"

"Nope."

I grinned playfully, mostly trying to cheer him up. I didn't like seeing him sad. It made me sad. "Well then take a seat and drink your problems away like I always do." I replied, as the bartender handed me a pint. I drank half of it in one gulp just as my phone vibrated. I pulled it out and read the text, then typed back "k" and put it back in my pocket. "Louis and Zayn are coming."

Liam smiled weakly and took a small sip of his drink. "Should be fun."

********************************************************************************************************

I rolled on the floor, clutching my sides and laughing hysterically. Suddenly I heard a bar stool tip over and Louis fell onto his back beside me, laughing so hard that he couldn't breathe. Zayn had a hand on the table as he laughed, trying to steady himself, and Liam had his head down on the countertop, his body shaking with his laughter.

I don't even remember what was so funny. It probably wasn't even that funny, but when you're drunk, everything becomes absolutely hilarious.

After about ten minutes we all recovered, our faces still red and our breath still heavy. Lou and I got up and sat back down. Zayn just grinned. "A-Anybody up for a-a g-g-game?" he slurred, tilting his head at us slightly. We all nodded our agreement.

"W-What g-game?" I asked, taking a sip of my beer.

"G-Gay ch-chicken!" Louis suggested cheekily, grinning. "Unless y-you aren't u-up f-f-for it, l-lads."

I narrowed my eyes challengingly. "Y-You're on, T-Toml-linson!"

Gay chicken was probably the stupidest game ever to play when you were drunk, since you make bad decisions. Basically, you get two guys and have them lean forward to kiss each other and see who pulls away first. Whoever lasts longer is the winner. Now, this is incredibly stupid when you're drunk because a lot of the time, you end up both betting a lot and neither of you wanting to lose, and then you end up kissing another guy. But whatever, it's still a fun game, it can just result in some awkwardness afterwards.

It was Lou and I first. We bet that whoever lost had to buy the winner another drink, and began leaning towards each other. Louis backed away fairly soon, declaring me the winner. I bragged to him momentarily about winning as he rolled his eyes and ordered me another drink, on him.

Zayn said that he'd take on the winner, so now it was me and him. This time I backed away quickly as we began to get a little too close for my liking, and he laughed while I ordered him a drink. Liam wasn't really excited about our drinking games, but he participated anyways.

Something stirred inside of me as it was Liam and Zayn going against each other. It was fiery, like anger, but not quite. It felt like... Jealousy? Jealousy was the only one that it could be, but why would I be jealous? And what am I jealous of? I frowned as they got closer and closer and the feeling flared up as if it was just a spark and now it was becoming a flame. Finally Zayn backed off and bought Liam a drink, and the feeling wasn't as present - it was still there, but not as prominant.

Now it was me and Liam. My heart pounded against my chest so loud that I swore everybody could hear it, and the fluttering feeling in my stomach was strong. I scanned his eyes as we slowly leaned towards each other. It was like deja vu - the action and the feelings. This had happened before, yes, and the feelings had been the same. We got closer and closer and the feelings became stronger and stronger. I was no longer controlling my movements, it seemed. My eyes drifted closed without me even intending to do so, and I tilted my head slightly to the right even though I didn't mean to. My body was leading me, I guess.

I couldn't tell how close we were but I could feel his breath on my lips, warm and smelling of alcohol though with an oddly sweet tinge. We were almost there, I knew now. And it seemed that neither of us planned on giving up. In fact, the game was actually fairly far from my mind right now.

"H-Hey g-guys, we g-gotta go!" Zayn said loudly, clapping a hand down on my shoulder. I abruptly pulled away from Liam, opening my eyes. He looked at me, an unreadable emotion in his chocolate brown eyes, and then smiled. I blushed and quickly looked away, standing up with Zayn and Lou. They headed to their houses and Liam and I headed back to our hotel room in companionable silence and both immediately plopped into our beds and fell asleep.