Chapter Thirty - A Future Together?

(written by MrsNiallHoran :3)

-- Niall's POV --

On the inside, I was squealing like a little girl. On the outside, I was... Squealing like a little girl. 

"You're so sweet, Liam." I murmured, looking up at him. "Like I swear to God, I'm going to develop diabetes from all your sweetness. I can feel my blood sugar going through the roof." I joked, pecking his cheek. "I don't know what I did to deserve an amazing man who treats me like a king, but I'm eternally grateful that I did it. You know, Liam, me and you... We're perfect. Perfect together. It's like fate or destiny or some mystical shit like that. But it's like we're supposed to be together, like we were made to be together and then for some reason split apart so we could find each other. Maybe fate put us together because it wants us to help each other." I said, shrugging. "Whatever it is and whoever did it, I'm glad, because I've found the best thing that's ever happened to me."

He smiled and took both of my hands in his, looking straight into my eyes. My heart beat faster under his gaze, butterflies fluttering around in my stomach. Just like the first time, I thought. Would our relationship always be like this? I hoped so. Everybody said that the worst thing about a relationship is after a while, it just doesn't make you feel that way. They say that after a while, none of your kisses feel anything like the first, looking at each other doesn't make you dizzy in that amazing way anymore like the first time. I hoped that for us, maybe it'd be different. His gaze still made my heart thud wildly, his words still made me blush and squeal like a lovestruck teenage girl, and kissing him still took my breath away. It all felt like the first time and I think that's what makes it so amazing. "Niall, I've a question, if I may."

"Yes?"

"Do you think that..." he hesitated and then shook his head. "Nevermind. You'll think it's stupid."

I removed one of my hands from his and cupped his cheek, forcing him to look at me. I leaned forward and kissed him softly, this one sweet and gentle though it lasted a long time. When I pulled back, he seemed more assured about what he wanted to say. "Go on."

"Well... Do you think that we'll be together for a long time? I mean, do you consider our relationship serious? I know it hasn't been that long and I feel stupid for asking, but... I'm curious."

I swallowed thickly. No, we haven't been together that long. "It's a little early to start thinking about that kinda stuff, isn't it?"

I could see hurt shining in his eyes, though he tried to hide it. It broke my heart. I didn't mean to hurt him, it's just that I don't want to rush into things. "Yeah, I guess." he agreed quietly. "See? I told you it was stupid." he muttered, looking away.

"I didn't mean it like that." I said quietly, placing my first and middle finger underneath his chin, once again forcing him to hold my gaze. "I don't want to rush our relationship and have it end badly. I don't want to take it too slow, but I also don't want to take it too fast, you know?" 

The hurt that had been in his eyes was still there, but moderately faded. He was a bit disappointed, but he understood. He nodded, smiling half-heartedly. "I know. It just doesn't take me long to know if I want to be with someone for a long time or not. While for some people it might take years to decide whether or not they're serious about a person, for me it can only be a couple of months. And of course, I was in love with you long before we started dating."

"What do you mean?"

"Back when we were best friends in eighth grade... I had a huge crush on you, Niall. But I was young and I didn't understand it. When you're young like that, you never know if it's just your teenage hormones or what's going on, and of course, I didn't want to think that maybe I was gay or something. And since you were my best friend, there was no way I could tell you. You were straight back then, and I knew that if I told you, it'd just ruin our friendship. Ever since then, I honestly don't believe it's ever gone away. I believe that I've loved you ever since then. It's said that if you have a crush on someone for more than four months then you're in love, right? I had a crush on you for years. Even when I thought I hated you, I knew it was still there. I just refused to accept it. I took it as hate. You can't strongly love unless you've strongly hated, and I think that I got the two mixed up, in a way." he explained, shrugging. "So, to be honest, I've been in love with you for a long time."

"That's four years." I murmured softly. He nodded. He's loved me for four years? "So then do you know if you're serious about me yet?"

"Of course. I know for a fact that I'm very serious about you. I don't want to scare you away or anything, but, if you want the honest truth..." he trailed off and I nodded, prompting him to go on. "I could easily see myself waking up next to you every single day for the rest of my life."

I was surprised. Liam's that serious already? He wants us to be together forever? I wasn't usually big on commitment, so when I felt a deep warmth run through me and felt myself smiling uncontrollably, I was surprised. Normally, hearing something like that would scare me. But hearing it from him... It made me happy. Extremely happy. "After we graduate, would you think that we could... I don't know, start our own life together?"

 He seemed relieved as he smiled. "I would love to. You know that I would love to be with you forever, Niall. We may have not been together long, but I've loved you from afar for years and I've always prayed and prayed that things would change and that you would be mine. After realizing I loved you, then realizing I had no chance, then losing you as a friend... There's no way I'll let myself lose you again. I've lost you far too many times for my liking and I won't let it happen again. I know for a fact that you, my love, are the one." 

The butterflies in my stomach were now like dozens of full-grown hawks flying around. The intense fluttering was a good feeling, though. It felt so good to know that somebody needed me. That I was wanted by somebody. That somebody would fight to keep me in their life. That somebody - and somebody so amazing at that - felt so strongly about me, enough to say that I am the one they want to be with forever. Normally this type of seriousness would scare me, especially so soon in a relationship, but it didn't here. Was that just how you felt when you truly, truly loved someone? "There's somebody in the world for everybody. And since you're so sure that I'm the one for you, in vice versa, you must be the one for me. I don't really have commitment issues, but I've never been too keen with it. Normally, talking about this so early in a relationship would scare the shit out of me. But with you... With you it doesn't. With you, I'm comfortable and instead of all of this seriousness scaring me, it makes me happy. I don't want to see you with anybody else ever, Liam, and I can't see myself feeling this strongly for anybody else." I replied. There was a sureness in my voice that surprised. I knew that I was serious about this. I knew it. "I'm the one for you, and you're the one for me. It's meant to be."

His smile was so sweet and bright now that it made mine even bigger. Knowing that I was the one who made him happy made me happy. "Maybe once we graduate we could get our own house together." he suggested. I nodded in agreement.

"I'd like that."