Chapter Twenty-One - "This one's for you..."

butterfliess

Liam's POV

It felt like a huge weight was lifted off one of my shoulders knowing that Niall's dad didn't disapprove. The other weight still hung on my other shoulder, being lazy and just relaxing there as long as possible. The whole school; how would he even begin? 

---

Here it came. The night of the dance.

I breathed in nervously, fixing a tie I had been saving for this special day. "Are you excited, Ninibear?" I asked, not taking my eyes off my own reflection. The mirror in the bathroom that we now shared in my house was huge, so we could both get ready at one time. 

"Nooo, I've been dreading this day ever since I figured out about it." Niall said, sarcasm strong. He hit me upside the head lightly which ruffled up my hair. "Of course I'm excited, stupid." 

"Hey!" I whined, making him face me. He was fumbling - obviously frustrated - with his tie. I smirked and straightened it up properly. I moved his hair around a little. "I'm not stupid."

I turned back to the mirror and used my fingers to comb through the back, where he'd ruined it. 

"You look amazing." Niall said after a moment of silence. 

I could see in the mirror that I was blushing furiously. "Bitch please. You look so much better than me."

He smacked me upside the head again, a little bit rougher. "You totally ruined the moment."

I picked him up bridal-style and carried him down the stairs where my mom and David were waiting. They were chatting up a storm, and instantly stopped as we entered the living room. They both held up cameras; David was using his phone, and my mom was using her professional camera. 

My mom was squealing on about how cute we both looked as I held Niall tightly in my arms. 

"Okay! Picture time!" She called out excitedly. 

I kept my position and Niall kept his - we both smiled brightly, both estatic for this upcoming day. It was fairly early - around 5:00 PM - and the dance went until 12:00 AM. 

They both snapped a picture and we switched positions. I let Niall down onto his feet softly and wrapped an arm around his waist and he looped one around my neck. They took another picture and my mom suggested they get a picture of us kissing.

I leaned forward towards Niall and then noticed both of us were blushing. I couldn't help but smile. I planted my lips on his cheek loosely, and just before the picture was taken, Niall jerked his head to the side and we kissed lips-to-lips. 

When the picture was taken, I was still blushing, more furious than before. Niall wasn't blushing at all. I turned to Niall's dad and he smiled. 

This was wonderful. Both my mom and his dad approved of us together. 

---

We eventually got to the dance and we started dancing together in the darkness so that nobody could see us. We would get out in the open when Niall gave his little speech about us. 

No teachers were there - not even for supervision. 

Niall, a little while later, requested to talk about us on stage. The DJ - DJ Malik aka DJ Zayn Malik - approved of it, of course, and handed him the microphone. 

"Okay," Niall begun with a huge breath. I stood in the front of the crowd, watching his every move. 

"We've all got our special people out there, whether they're the opposite gender or the same. The person that we find is truly 'the one'. And who knows; that could be true. Maybe you'll grow up and marry them, or maybe you'll break up and become enemies. But I'm not up here to talk about any of you; I'm here to talk about me and my special someone. Now, my special someone is someone that I was enemies with for a long time - basically ever since we were children. We had our reasons for hating eachother, but when we begun to talk, we finally realized that those reasons didn't matter anymore. We got past our differences and became best friends. This is totally cliche, but I started to fall deeply in love with my new best friend, and I found out that my best friend started to fall in love with me too. We almost kissed several times - that's now I figured out. If they didn't like me, they wouldn't try to kiss me. The first time it happened, I was disappointed in myself that I didn't let it happen. The next, we were interrupted. And the next, it finally happened. We've kissed a lot since then. We're the most unlikely couple ever - you guys are most likely going to be shocked when you find out who this special someone is. But we love eachother, and what other people think isn't going to be the reason we break up, if we ever do, that is. I don't ever want to break up with my special someone - I love them far too much to even imagine about living a life without knowing they're mine and only mine. Well... Without further ado, I guess, I'd like my boyfriend to come up on stage."

The whole audience was silent as they glared over at me with semi-open mouths.

I made my way up on the stage and went right into a kiss lips-to-lips. He dropped the microphone, which made a very eerie and annoying sound, but took no notice of it and wrapped his arms around me.  

After we ended, everyone started to clap. Very few people stood, not so approving, but the rest were excited for us I suppose.

I told Niall to stay on the stage as I picked up the microphone and asked Zayn to play a certain track. "I've got my special someone with me, now find yours!" I called out into the crowd. 

I turned to Niall. "This one's for you..." I whispered into the microphone. 

I cued Zayn to play the music - no lyrics - to Hummingbird by Nevershoutnever. It was sort of like karaoke, except I didn't have a TV displaying the lyrics anywhere. I knew them by heart. I wanted to sing this to Niall, because we sung it together a while ago before we started dating and through the period of the time we became a couple, we decided it was our song. 

I started to sing and as I did, everyone - including Niall - started to clap. Either because it was really sweet, the people in the crowd liked the song, or I was really good at singing.

Maybe all three.

I held one of Niall's hands as I sung. The song fit both of us so perfectly.

"I like you. Girl you don't got nothing to prove to me. I know that times have been rough for the both of us, but I'll pray for a change. You see, this world has lots to offer, but in time it will go dark and if this love is what we say it is, I'm sure we will go far. And with a girl as sweet as you, there's not much else I can do but fall for you..."

I eventually finished the song and the crowd erupted in loud clapping. 

Finally; now every girl that had her eye on Niall would know not to mess with me. 

Our relationship was the shit.