Chapter Thirty-Three - A Promise

(butterfliess)

Liam's POV

I left Niall for a second and took my mum into the other room. 

"Mum..." I begun. "Just a quick question."

"Sure, dear," She replied with a smile. 

"What do you think of-" I paused. "Nevermind."

She shrugged and we re-joined Niall.

---

Night came and we all stumbled up to our rooms. Niall said goodbye to my mum, but I just went inside my room without a word and closed the door.

"Now?" Niall stared at me with puppy-dog eyes.

"No. I'm tired." I said with a completely straight face. 

He pouted. "Pleeease...." He begged.

"No, Niall." 

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!"

I pulled the covers over me and turned my back to him, which told him I was fed up and my answer was still no. I heard him sigh, defeated, and turn off the lamp, leaving the TV on. It was running a marathon of Spongebob Squarepants. 

---

"Liam..." He said with a gentle voice. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry about what?" I asked, pulling in for a kiss.

He hesitated and moved away, sighing.

"I'm sorry. I don't love you anymore. We're over..."

---

I woke up, panting and sweating. I flew upwards and turned my head straight to Niall. He was sleeping cutely and peacefully, groaning and shifting slightly as I jerked awake. I sighed in relief. It was just a dream... Thank god. That was the worst dream I've ever had by far. I was so glad it was a dream that I was instantly awake. I looked over at the clock; 6:56 AM. I smiled and hopped out of bed, forgetting that Niall was asleep. He didn't wake up - thankfully - and I skipped downstairs. My mum was just leaving for work. I guess she had to work early today. I shouted her a goodbye and she didn't question why I was up already; I was always up this early. 

I skipped back upstairs, still overly happy about the fact it was just a dream. I ran into my room and shook Niall awake. He was refusing to come downstairs at first, but when I told him we were gonna have a party-for-2, he instantly hopped out of the bed. "Party Time, Any Time!!" He hollered as I followed him down the stairs laughing.

He turned on music - some Maroon 5 and Hedley and such - and we begun dancing. He was all cheery until he just instantly stopped and turned off the music.

"What's up?" I asked. He shook his head and tried to start the music again, but I was immediately curious as to what was going on.

"Niall, what's up?" I questioned again.

He sighed.  "Nothing..." 

"Please tell me." I said gently.

He sighed again. "Well... Just as we were dancing, I begun to think of how good I've got it here... I've never been so happy in my whole life. And I watched you dance, and I thought... Wow. I'm one lucky guy, having a boyfriend like you. I thought... So there's this boy right in front of me, carelessly dancing like there's no tomorrow." He stopped and chuckled lightly. "And then I begun to think of how wonderful you are. I begun to think, No, he's not just any boy. He's the most amazing boy in the world. And here's when the stopping of the music came in; I thought about if I ever lost you. The most amazing boy in the world. I thought about having to live a life knowing we're enemies again, and I thought about... Well... What if this never happened? What if you never suggested we become friends again? What if you were never pushed out of your chair that one day in class and had to sit next to me? What if we never became partners, and we never got to really know eachother, and we still hated eachother to this day? All these what-ifs..."

I put a finger on his lips and he slowed to a stop.

"Stop, Niall. Don't think like that. Don't think about what-ifs. We've got a life together now, and that's all that matters. Think about what's going on now. You're worrying yourself."

"I just..." A tear streamed down his face. "I just think about, like, what if I woke up tomorrow and you weren't next to me... That's my worst fear in the world."

I opened my arms and pulled him into a hug.

"I think like that sometimes too." I pulled away slightly and wiped the tears from his face. "It's my worst fear too, but we need some happiness here. No more sadness. But, can you just promise me one thing?"

"What?" He said, sniffling.

"Promise me that you'll never cry over me."

"Why?"

"I can't stand to see you upset, especially over something so worthless..."