four

My whole family was sat around the same table where we had breakfasts every morning. We just added some chairs so Gemma, Harry and Trini could have a place around the table .

My grandmother had prepared Spanish omelette, one of my favorites.

"Have you tried before tortilla?" Asked my grandma to the both siblings.

"No, it's delicious ma'am" Gemma said. Harry had his mouth full, so he had a justified reason not to talk this time.

"Oh! Call me Maria, muchacha" Said my granny.

Gemma laughed and Harry looked at her with a nice smile and two dimples I didn't know about their existence showed.

"I see you like it Harry" Laughed my grandma.

He covered his mouth with his hand and chuckled, he had his mouth full again. I smiled, and a sudden desire grew inside me. I wanted to know him, I wanted to enjoy his personality. I didn't care if I was getting my hopes up too soon, I was sure he was more than he showed. That smile showed it.

The meal was over and everyone helped to clean up the table. Later, my parents decided to go to the other house, seeing that we had lunch at my grandparents'. Trini and my abuela María watched their favorite tv show, each of them talking non stop and commenting every thing that happened. I used to watch those telenovelas with her, but I don't know why stopped. I guess writing or listening to music were activities I enjoyed more.

So here we were Harry, Gemma and I under the shade the porch had. Gemma was looking through a magazine she found in a table, after asking for permission to read it. Harry just lazily sat on a chair, thinking about god knows what and without making any human sound.
I was right in the chair in front of him, and I had my notebook in my lap. I pretended to be writing the whole time, but the inspiration wasn't coming. I was way too concentrated in Harry that I couldn't even manage to structure subject with verb with object.

An idea crossed my mind, instantly feeling embarrassed inside. I had no intentions of sharing it. If anyone would have been able to read my mind, I wouldn't have even thought about doing what I was about to.

I started to describe him, placing the words fluently in the paper.
After five minutes I had a whole page written, god I was a total psychopath. I imagined him reading what I just had put into words, and felt how my cheeks burnt. I would die of embarrassment if that happened.

I spoke about his shorts and how they enveloped his strong and hairy legs. His long curls that lifted with the intense humidity of the village and some sticked to sweaty forehead.
His face, his face was a whole different level. His cheekbones very defined and highlighted because of the sun. His lips had the darkest shade of pink that made contrast with his olive eyes.
Some black eyelashes acting like curtains over his light colored irises.

Right after I was done with my quick description of the boy. I had another idea that maybe lifted up the uncomfortable mood we were in.
"Do you want to play parchís?" They both looked at me with an indecisive look but then Gemma asked me what was that game about.
"I think it's translated as pachisi in English, not sure" But they still had no idea. Probably because it's mainly known in Spain, for what I am concerned.

I got up and went inside the house leaving the two siblings in the porch.
I entered the living room where the two grandmas continued watching the afternoon show.

"I'm just gonna grab the parchís" I said as I kneeled in front of the wardrobe under the TV and opened it.

I took the game board and the box with the pieces and the dice. Then I said bye to the old women and headed the porch again, finding Gemma and Harry in their same spot.

I placed everything on the table that separated me from Harry, not daring to look at him. I explained the game and the rules and we started playing.
The aim of the game was to go through every square all around the board, and eat the other's pieces if possible. That part made the game even more exciting because there were always this stress of running away from the others.

My red pieces were behind the greens of Gemma, she was behind Harry's blue pieces and Harry behind me.

The luck wasn't really helping me, the dice turned over the weakest sides when my turn came, only letting me advance slowly. Gemma was doing well, but Harry was gonna win for sure.
He rolled the dice and six dots drawn on the side were facing the sky. And how lucky I am, one of my pieces was just six squares ahead of his.

He looked at me straight in the eyes whilst a smile pursed on his lips. He leant over a bit, placing his left hand on his knees and his right hand moving his piece until it reached mine. Eating my piece.
I laughed at his reaction. He liked to win... well, who doesn't?

"Nice move" I said. He didn't spit a word, but his face was enough to understand his unsaid words.

We enjoyed the whole hour we spent playing to the Spanish game.

When the tv playing inside the living room was turned off, Trini along with my granny got out of the house.

"I think we can go home already, right?" Said Trini to her grandchildren.
They didn't say anything but got the indirect and stood up. The temperature in the porch was warm and luckily not as hot as when we started playing the board game.

Gemma approached to me unexpectedly.

"Well, nice to meet you Maia. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so I won't see you again" Said she as I smiled politely and gave her a kiss on each cheek.

A question filled my brain.
Was I going to hang out with Harry the rest of the summer?
Her sister was leaving, not him.
I kind of wished we would hang out, he was... intriguing.