Miles x Dahlia

That smile. 

"E...."

That sweet smile.

"E......wor...."

That sweet, innocent smile.

"Edge....worth...."

That demonic smile.

"Thank you....Edgeworth...."

How could I have helped her?

*BANG*

"Sir! Are you alright?!"

I had slammed my hand on the table. A stinging sensation traveled up my arm and lingered in my fist. I sat rigid in my seat, my thoughts from before still fresh in my mind. Relaxing my hand, I sank back and sighed. "It's nothing, Detective. Continue your duties."

The detective only nodded before resuming his work. Concern was still on his face but he didn't bother me any further.

It's unlike me to take out my anger like so. Maybe I need a breather.

Taking my coat, I headed for the door. "I'll be back in while. Probably 30 minutes. I expect this office to be clean by the time I get back."

"You can count on me, Sir!"

With that, I left the office and made my way down the stairs to ground floor. Exiting the building, I breathed in the cool, refreshing air of Spring. A month had passed since the trial of Terry Fawles. A month since I had last saw her. A month since I had saved her.

All the signs pointed to her. There was no way she could've escaped. I and Miss Fey knew that but all the time I was only concerned with 1 thing. A guilty verdict.

I gritted my teeth and briskly walked down street after street, eventually reaching a park. It had been raining the past few days. Water dripped from the leaves above, some landing on my shoulders, and formed puddles along the path. The clouded sun provided little warmth as my path winded round and round, the occasional drenched bench discouraging me from stopping and taking a rest.

My endless pacing eventually came to a stop. Feeling winded, I took deep breaths to calm myself. No matter how much I walked, I couldn't rid my mind of that girl. Her ghastly attractive figure constantly haunted me, so much so that I was at conflict with myself.

This is foolish. I shouldn't be thinking about this.

Unable to clear my thoughts, I huffed and turned towards the exit, freezing in my steps as something crossed my vision.

It can't be. I must be imagining things, right?

From where I was, I saw a girl standing under a park lamp. Her fair skin and rich red hair made her stand out against the greens and browns of the park. Just like she had on that day, she wore her clean white dress, the pink muffler draped on her shoulders and finally, that lace parasol she so gently held in her hands.

It was almost as if time had stood still as I gazed upon her splendid beauty. She was a timeless spectre that ceased to change, a wondrous beast that shook my very core. Something such as her should not exist and yet here she stands, dauntless. I found myself unable to move, my original anger slowly rising the longer I stared at her. But no matter how angry I felt, I couldn't move.

Why is it I can't move?  What's holding me down?

As if sensing my frustration, she turned and faced me, her movements were as gentle as the rolling sea. Careful and precise, she took one step, then another towards me. Despite my scowl, she continued her trek to me until she stood right in front of me wearing that same smile. That same sickly-sweet smile.