22

Merry (early) Christmas, babes
----------------------------------------------
GILBERT HOME

Sundance's POV

Elena and I paced around the house. My phone rang. I hung up, knowing it's Damon. There was a knock on the door and Elena answered it. Damon shoved past her and into the living room, looking around. "You're ignoring me." He pointed out. "Obviously." I rolled my eyes. "My phone is dead." Elena lied. "Is Stefan here?" Damon walked around. "Obviously not." I mimicked my last sentence. "Something wrong?" Elena followed Damon. "He went out in the woods and didn't come back. I can't get him on his phone. I figured he was here with you."

"It's been going straight to voice-mail. Where could he be?" Elena said, worry laced in her voice. "You're not going to like what I'm thinking," Damon answered.

AUTHOR'S POV

Damon told them more about the tomb vampires and the Salvatore past with them, then the group left to where Pearl resided.

Damon left in the pouring rain, leaving the girls in the car. Elena looked back at Sundance. "You okay? You and Damon haven't talked like you usually do since we left." Elena observed. "Just leave it. It's just Damon." Sundance mumbled. "What happened?" Elena asked.

"We had our moment, now it's over. As you said, he and I had our moment and it was epic but then reality set in. Whatever happened--It's gone. So let's keep it that way." Sundance sat back. Elena nodded and looked out the window. "Speak of the Devil." She opened her door and got out. Sundance followed.

"What happened? Where is he?" Elena questioned. "They have him. I can't get in." Damon explained, soaking wet. He slipped under Elena's umbrella. "Why not?" Elena frowned, panicking. "Because the woman who owns the house is compelled to not let me in," Damon explained. "I can get in." Elena tried to shove past Damon. "You're not going in there." He protested, grabbing her arms. "I'm going!" Elena repeated. "You're not going in there," Damon said, strictly. He and Elena stared at each other. "Why are they doing this? What do they want with him?" Elena cried. "Revenge. They want revenge." Sundance spoke. Damon looked at her and nodded.

"We gotta do something," Elena said, jittery. "I know." Damon nodded. He looked behind them. "We can't let them hurt him. We gotta get him out of there." Sundance gulped. "I know. Sundance, I know. But I don't know how to get him out." He cupped her face with his hands. She was silently panicking, but he knew because all he wanted to do was listen to her heartbeat. She moved out of his grip, leaving him with a hurt expression on his face. She climbed in the back of the car and buckled up. Soon after, Elena and Damon joined her.

"What happened between you two?" Elena looked at Damon. "We made out." He shrugged. Sundance slapped the back of his head. "You dick!" She yelled. "You didn't even see it." He smirked. "I wouldn't want to." Sundance snapped. "You two--Sundance!" Elena snapped her head to look at her sister. "It was nothing, Elena! It meant nothing to him, ergo it meant nothing to me. Got it?!" Sundance crossed her arms. It was quiet. "Good." She said quietly.

Damon parked in the parking lot of Mystic Falls High School. They all moved inside and walked down the halls, looking for Mr. Saltzman.

Damon stopped Alaric once they saw him walking down the halls. "Well, don't you look...alive?" Damon smirked. "You can't hurt me." Alaric defended. "Oh, I can hurt you, all right." Damon stepped closer. "Mr. Saltzman. We need your help." Sundance said quickly.

"Stefan's in the house. Damon's a vampire. He can't get in. We need you. Sundance and I would go, but..." Elena explained once they were all in Mr. Saltzman's classroom. "But your life is valuable. Yours, on the other hand, is..." Damon trailed off and looked at Alaric. "Stefan told me about your ring," Elena said.