48

I get the feeling that you'll never need me again.

Klaus caught me up on his past with Stefan and how Stefan wanted to be his wingman. Wingman to a hybrid dickhead? "So I'm confused. If you two were such great friends, then why does he only know you as the hybrid dick who sacrificed his girlfriend and her aunt on an altar of fire?" I scoffed. "All good things must come to an end," Klaus replied, setting down a shot glass.

Stefan and Rebekah were dancing. Klaus looked at them with a smile from his table. He sensed something and looked around. A moment later bullets began flying all through the room. Rebekah and Stefan were crouching down behind the bar and Stefan took one of the bullets from the ground.

"They're using wooden bullets. They know." He observed. "That means he's here," Rebekah muttered under her breath, sounding exasperated.
"Who? Who's here?" Stefan calmly asked, holding her down so nothing she couldn't stand. Klaus walked briskly over to the counter. "Rebekah! Come on, we've got to go, sweetheart." He called. She got up and Klaus grabbed her as bullets sprawled around the room. "What the hell is going on?" Stefan shouted.
"Stefan!" Rebekah cried. "Go!" Her brother demanded. She ran.

Stefan noticed Rebekah's necklace lying on the floor. Stefan, he began to crouch down and take it when Klaus interrupted him to talk with him. "Stefan. I'm sorry, but the fun has to end here." He said. "What are you talking about?" Stefan frowned. Klaus compelled him. "You must forget Rebekah and me. Until I say otherwise, you never knew us, Stefan. Thank you. I had forgotten what it was like to have a brother." He patted his shoulder and disappeared.

I took in this information and looked at Stefan. "You compelled me to forget?" He frowned. "It was time for Rebekah and me to move on. Better to have a clean slate." Klaus explained, draining his drink. "But why? You shouldn't have to cover your tracks." Stefan raised his eyebrows. "Unless you're running from someone," I remarked. "Story time's over," Klaus said, getting up. I looked at a wall and saw Damon Salvatore peeking at us. I shoved Stefan's arm. "I need a drink. A human one." He said, getting up. I followed, which wasn't that suspicious seeing as Klaus knows I felt something for Stefan.

We followed him outside. "What is wrong with you?!" I shouted, shoving Damon against a car. "What is wrong with you? You two kill Andie one day, you save my life the next and then vervain me the other! What are you good, bad? Pick one!" Damon snapped. "Klaus almost saw Elena today. You have to get her out of Chicago." Stefan warned. "She's not going anywhere until she's got you two checked into vampire rehab and on the mend. Trust me. I've tried." Damon groaned as I kicked his heel. "Damon, she is literally the bread to this sandwich. She's what makes this whole thing...a thing! She was supposed to die in the sacrifice and she didn't. Now Klaus can't create any new hybrids and his witch is seconds away from figuring that out. Tell Elena to go home and forget about us before it's too late." I said, releasing my grip on him. He looked to his side. "Tell her yourself."

Stefan and I looked over and saw Elena, eyes watering while standing by a wall. Her hair sat on her collarbones and she stood with pride. "You shouldn't be here," Stefan said. Damon snuck into the bar. I felt the tension between Stefan and Elena, which made my stomach knot with jealousy. I walked into the bar and listened to Damon and Klaus.

"I see they've opened the doors to the riff-raff now." Klaus sighed. "Oh, honey, I've been called worse," Damon replied. "You don't give up, do you?" The curly-haired man chuckled. Oh god. He is laughing. Not scared. Not anything, really. He thinks this is all a joke, which makes it all the more dangerous for Damon. "Give me my brother and my gir- friend back...You'll never have to see me again." Salvatore shrugged. Girlfriend? What? Is he on crack?

"Well, I am torn. You see, I promised Stefan and Sundance I wouldn't let you die, but how many freebies did I really sign up for? And clearly, you want to die, otherwise, you wouldn't be here, so..." Klaus sighed. "What can I say? I'm a thrill-seeker." Damon chuckled. I heard a whoosh of air and Damon gasp for air. I zoomed out and tried throwing Klaus off of Damon, but failed as I hit the wall. "Klaus, no!" I shouted. "Oh, dear, what was that? I'm boozy, so you'll forgive me if I miss your heart the first few tries." He mumbled, stabbing a toothpick in Damon's chest multiple times. I got up and threw him off. "Enough, Klaus! Damon, why can't you just lay off? None of this is supposed to happen so leave Stefan and I alone!" I screamed. Damon gave me a long glare. He sped at Klaus, who threw him on a table and raised a broken piece of the chair over his heart. "No!" I cried. Klaus was suddenly thrown off. Gloria looked at them. "Not in my bar! You take that outside." She pointed towards the door. I sped over to Damon and offered my hand to help him up. Klaus took it instead. I rolled my eyes and helped him up, then repeated the notion for the idiot who wanted to be heroic.

"You know, mate, she really isn't interested. Quite frankly, I think she'd prefer to be stuck with Stefan. You don't have to negotiate your brother's freedom. When I'm done with him, he won't want to go back." Klaus hissed, wiping off his knees. Damon looked at me with betrayal in his eyes. I walked out with him to the car.

"Really?! Is it true? You've been hoeing around with my little brother while traveling with a fucking monster?! Makes sense. You could never really keep your eyes on one person." Damon snapped. Is he accusing me of being a hoe? A slut? I've never been that person...I must have blacked out because I was all of a sudden looking at Damon with a red handprint on his cheek. "You know what, Damon? While you've been tracking us down and wasting your goddamn time, Stefan and I have been keeping your joyful little ass alive! We're killing people, traveling around, and being people we aren't to let you breathe! And for your information, I put in ALL of the effort in our relationship while you couldn't keep your eyes on one fucking person, who was supposed to be me! And I stayed! I stayed with you! And even now, as I'm yelling at you, I will always protect you!" I screamed, tears flowing down my cheeks. "Stop protecting me then if it's such a burden!" He strained. "Maybe I will!" I grabbed his shoulder and dragged him to the driver's seat of the car and shoved him in, then slammed the door and watched as the ignition started and he sped away. Only then could I really break down.

I slid down the wall of the bar and held my head in my hands, my knees to my chest, and sobbed. My head rang in my ears. I felt arms wrap around my shoulders. "No no no no no!" I sobbed, shaking my head. "Shhh...shhh...hey hey hey, breathe. I need you to breathe." A calming voice cooed. "I can't. I can't. I can't do this. God, it hurts!" I held my chest. I cannot describe the pain. I felt the deaths I had made. I felt the heartbreak I gave Damon. I felt the disappointment Jenna and Elena shared in me. It was all too much.

I felt what could only be described as veins in my heart bursting and my mind exploding. How did my life get this way? Why did I let my life come to this point? With each shush Stefan tried to soothe me with, the heartbreak only happened more. I cried more into his chest, breathing in his spearmint and rich scent. "I'm so sorry, Stefan." I apologized as I tried stifling my cries. "It's okay. Shhh...it's okay, Sunshine." He hummed huskily.

"Can we go now?" A British voice scoffed.
-
short chapter but i thought i should let you guys see Sundance in a very vulnerable state, yk? lmk how i did ahaha