43

It's been days since the sacrifice. I've lost track of time...Meanwhile, I have been staying at home, er, the Gilbert Residence to take care of Jeremy and Elena as we mourned in silence. According to Stefan, Elijah betrayed us and saved Klaus. They sped off before Klaus died.

I haven't spoken to Stefan since the funeral. It feels as if years have passed. The wind blows harder as every day passes and the leaves began to fall. I've missed my best friend, but being with my siblings and Alaric has been comforting in this time of grief.

Today Elena planned on taking Jeremy and me out of the house to get our minds away from our piling problems. I've been sleeping in sweatpants and a sports bra for the past week. I don't exactly feel like getting up and being around people, but I'll do anything for my siblings' well being.

And with that, we are in the present time. I did my hair and brushed my teeth, then changed into ripped blue skinny jeans and a large white hoodie. I applied light mascara and dabbed concealer over my bags under my eyes, then put a bit of highlighter on the tip of my nose and by my eyes. I grabbed my phone and texted Stefan. He hasn't been responding, but it's worth a try I suppose.

-Hey Stef. I miss you. Don't die on me too, Fangs. I might just have to bite you.

I sent it and sighed as the 'Delivered' turned into 'Read' and he failed to reply. I slipped my phone in my pocket and walked downstairs.

Stefan's POV

Sunny :)- Hey Stef. I miss you. Don't die on me too, Fangs. I might just have to bite you.

I put my phone down on the nightstand and looked at my ceiling. My brother was dying and I haven't told the Gilberts. How would I break the news to them? I can't. There has to be a way to save Damon. He's easy to give up but I am not. I can't lose my brother and I cannot let Sundance and Elena lose Damon either. They just lost Jenna and don't need another body to bury. Despite what they say, I know there's unspoken feelings between Sundance and Damon, along with Elena and Damon. Damon has impacted Elena and she'll be hurt if she loses him.

I reluctantly called Alaric, who I hope will have some answers. "Sorry, you've reached somebody who's currently not operating." He said into the speaker. "I need your help." I requested. "Well, you must have me confused with somebody else. You see, I'm not allowed to help, just idly sit by while my girlfriend gets sacrificed on an altar of blood." He snapped drunkenly. "Damon's dying. Tyler Lockwood bit him. We don't have much time." I interrupted. It was quiet for a moment. "What do you need?" Alaric asked.

Sundance's POV

Elena, Jeremy, and I walked down a hill and into the town square with a picnic basket and blanket. Apparently 'Gone With The Wind' was playing. "You brought me to see a girl movie." Jeremy scoffed playfully. "We had to get out of the house, Jer. This is our three-hour distraction from reality so sit and act like our lives aren't doomed." Elena suggested, sitting down on the cover. "Is that what we're doing now?" I asked with a sigh. "Yep. Breathe, eat, sleep, wake up, and do it all over again until one day, it's just not as hard anymore. Just like last time." My sister began setting out the crackers, sandwiches, and fruits. All basic picnic snacks. I suggested Cheez-Its.

Caroline finally arrived with a couple of baskets and placed them in the middle of the blanket. "Hey! There you guys are. Who's hungry?" She smiled. "Oh thank god! Please tell me you have something other than crackers!" I greeted. Elena sent to be a playful glare. "Yep!" Caroline smiled. "Are we really doing this?" Jeremy groaned. "Yes, we are really doing this. We are going to take a page from Scarlett. We made it through the war." The blonde giggled. She let out a sigh. "I know you guys went through hell, and my mom knows I am a vampire, so basically it's like Atlanta has burned. And yet, in spite of everything, we persevere." I thought about her words. Jeremy did too. "Okay." He agreed and sat down. "What are we eating?"

I smiled at him and ruffled his hair. "Something good!" Caroline smiled. She took out a variety of dishes and snacks. We began digging in. "Leave something for Stefan, Sundance." Elena laughed as I bit into another slice of watermelon. "Stefan's coming?" I asked. "Yeah, of course."

A few minutes later, a certain blonde male walked towards us. His face was stone hard. "Hey! Look who couldn't resist an epic romance." Elena giggled. He cracked a smile. "Uh, can you two take a walk with me really quick?" He asked, looking at Elena and I. We looked at Jeremy and Caroline, who nodded. We got up and nodded.

"I know movie night's supposed to be a distraction. I wish this could wait, but it can't. Listen, um, the other night when Damon was helping Tyler, something happened...Tyler was starting to transform, and Damon was bitten." Stefan said.

My heart plummeted to my feet. That's why he visited two nights ago.

FLASHBACK

"I need you to wake up."

I gasped, holding my chest and turned on my lamp at this voice. I met eyes with a blue pair. "Damon!" I growled, throwing a pillow at him. "Sundance, I need to talk to you." He whispered. My heart was telling me no. Don't do it. But I nodded. "Go ahead." I sighed. Damon was sitting in my bay window. He got up, however, and sat down in front of me.

"I'm sorry." He said lowly and sincerely. My heart nearly stopped. Did Damon Salvatore...apologize? "I'm sorry for hurting you. I played with your feelings and treated you as if I were Katherine. You didn't deserve it, Sundance. I don't deserve forgiveness but all I want is to know you've heard my apology." He continued. I've wanted to hear these words for so long. I smiled at him and wrapped him into a hug. "That's all I wanted, Damon. I've missed you. I know I'm not Elena but I still want to be your friend." I sighed.

He smiled. Was he always this pale? He looks lighter than usual. "I guess you really do Give Love A Bad Name," I smirked, referencing to the time we sang in the car together. He let out what seemed to be a mixture of scoff and laugh. "Ouch!" Damon joked.

NOW

"Sundance? Are you okay?"

I blinked. I was now on the grass, sitting down. I must have collapsed. "Stefan, he can't die." I shook my head. "I know, Sunshine but it's not that easy. We don't even have a cure. Klaus has it." He sighed. "Then we'll get it, Stefan. We have to."
-
short chapter . my eyes hurt lmfao. i'll probably update tonight or tomorrow