Ch: 27

Under the albums were three canvases. She took all of them out one by one. Aliyah was sitting crossed legs beside her, curiously waiting for her to uncover them. The remaining things were arranged between them on the bed. She had opened the rectangular velvet box and was greeted by the sight of two paintbrushes, one had thick hair and other was thin-haired. Her name was engraved on it in brilliant font with a heart on both ends. How much she wants to hate it but it struck the right cord of her heart, involuntarily she breathed,

" It's beautiful!" She was totally mesmerized. Aliyah looks at her unsurely, confused at her sudden words.

" Indeed, it is. "  Aliyah agreed which broke Alina's trance.

She tried to cover up her stupidity but failed, luckily Aliyah's mother called them to have lunch. She sighed with relief. Suddenly, she had started feeling conscious about the stuff. She doesn't want to unveil those canvases in front of Aliyah. Suddenly she felt secretive for the first time in front of her and was guilty about it. They were practically like soul sisters, even if she tried to hide something from her eventually Aliyah with came to know about it and she never wants to face the after-effects of hiding something from her.

They rearranged the things in the box to avoid misplacing anything and left the box as is it. Alina has to go home before evening and they can't continue their hunt. But as they will explore the box more eye-opening things will catch their sight.
_________

Lauren's PoV

" Sit, child." Baba Jan tells me as I entered the living room where brother Younus was already seated in front of him. After tea Baba had called us because he wants to talk about something important. I don't have any idea about the degree of its importance.

I sat on the single couch looking at Brother Younus who was much calmer than me.

" You all can see life is mortal and death arrives without invitation. Our dear Yousuf left us, your mother lefts us and one day I will leave you, too cause it's the cycle of life and every soul will taste death."

"May you have a long life, Baba Jan. Don't talk about your death. Are you okay? Do the doctor tell you something? " brother Younus asked impatiently and anxiously. He chuckled and shushed him with his hand.

"  I am fine, son. I am perfectly okay. Alhamdulilah!" He said with a light laugh. I sighed. " My reports are pretty good. Dawood brought them on his way from the office," he added.

" MashaAllah, that's great. " Brother Younus said with solace.

" I called you here to discuss very important thing which has to be discussed privately. " he took a deep breath. I furrowed my brows and look between Baba Jan and brother Younus.

" Lauren, my child. " he named me and I turned my attention towards him.

" Yes, Baba Jan. " I called.

" Beta, I am really sorry for letting you live on your own and giving you a hard time. I know I can't rewind and correct my misdeeds but please forgive me I truly regret everything I had done," he said with teary eyes.

" Forget it, baba Jan. Its all past let's move on and live in our present and make it beautiful and memorable that it heals all the wounds from the past. I am also really sorry for keeping my existence a secret from you. Please, forgive me. " I said looking down at my lap, embarrassed.

" it's okay, my child. We have done something which leads us to pain and suffering nevertheless you are right, we should focus on our present and happiness of our family. " he smiled softly and his words comforted me like a soft plush pillow.