20 : Bitter and sweet

You and Taehyung have been waiting in the car for almost half an hour now, waiting for your best friend Nari and her husband Jimin who weren't at home.

Your initial plan was to surprise the couple with an unexpected visit but you couldn't have ever know that the one to be surprised is going to be you.

Your head had throbbed from frustration when you saw their apartment door locked, a large container in your hand and a confused hybrid by your side.

The passing neighbors whom you were acquainted with told you that they just went out and you nearly banged your head against their door and swore to never ever opt for a surprise visit to someone's house.

Although you weren't feeling that bad now since you called Nari and learned they went for their hospital appointment but still waiting pathetically in the car was in fact, pathetic.

Taehyung had been trying his best to entertain you and so far he was successful but in reality he wanted to use this opportunity to ask you about that breakdown you had several nights ago. He had no idea though how to start.

In the end he just gives up altogether and talk casually, "When's your birthday noona?" Unbeknownst to him, he had touched your sensitive nerve by that simple question.

You gulp before looking at him, the atmosphere suddenly becoming colder despite the heater doing it's job perfectly in the car.

Even after seeing your afflicted face, the poor hybrid doesn't get the message and instead asks the first thing that comes into his mind. "It has already passed? I missed it?"

You sigh looking into the parking lot, a subconscious pained smile already making it's way to your face, you say, "It has passed but don't worry, I don't celebrate it."

"Really? Why?" His endless questions just makes you sigh again. It can't stay hidden forever, you say to yourself.

You wanted a better timing to tell him about your strenuous past but if you keep thinking like that and not do it, it might never happen. So you decide that instead of waiting for that perfect moment you should just go with the flow.

You turn to him with a small smile and your heart in your hand to let him see all the secrets and flaws. "I'll tell you why. I'll tell you everything and I hope you don't think of me as a different person after hearing it."

Now Taehyung might be a year younger than you but that didn't mean that he was any less sincere or mature. And just looking at your expression, he knew it was something serious so he gives you a subtle node of head that tells that you can trust him.

You begin with taking a big deep breath. "On my sixth birthday my parents arranged a big birthday party for me. All my friends, their friends, close relatives, everyone was invited. It was in the park in our neighborhood where I played every evening. The weather was cloudy that day but not cold. The decorations were nice and my parents gifted me a pink frock. It was really pretty. Have I ever told you that pink was my favourite colour back then?" You laughed at the end going off topic.

It was a fake laugh that even Taehyung could see and he didn't want you to continue if you weren't actually ready. So when he tried to stop you by saying, " It's fine noona. Tell me some other time", you shushed him. If you couldn't tell him now then you could never.

"My cake was pretty too. When they were arranging the candles, I wanted to blow them right away but it suddenly started raining. They hadn't even lit up all the candle but I wanted so bad to blow them. Everyone started running for shelter but I was still there."