Chapter 4 - Sing For Me

I opened the door and saw the building manager. I looked at the clock and it was 4:25. I guess he is a person to be on time.
"Hello, I noticed you haven't gotten your mail in a few days and wanted to check up on ya. I also brought it up for you. You alright ma'am?" He asked with concern. I looked so dumbfounded then realized why I haven't gotten my mail.
"Oh my, I am sorry. I have been extremely busy trying to make it in this town ya know? Thank you so much for bringing it up and caring sir." I said as he handed over the mail. He gave me a small smile.
"Glad to see everything's alright. Just try not to forget five days worth of mail. Take care." With that he was off. I turned around and shut the door. I started shifting through which looked like a novel of letters when another knock happened. Still shifting through sorting out a few bills from letters from miscellaneous things I opened the door. I stared up and smile.
"Hey Luke." I said with my hands full of mail. He looked at my hands curious then back at me with a huge smile.
"Hello there ma'am. I see you're quite busy there." He said pointing at my letters. I blushed.
"I didn't get my mail for five days because I was so busy getting everything right and together for the meeting yesterday. I completely forgot mail existed." I laughed and so did he.
"I do the same thing. Everything is basically electronic almost." he said. I noticed he was still outside the door.
"Well, I don't think we want to talk outside anymore so why don't you come in and make yourself at home." I said opening the door and stepping to the side.
He walked in and I could hear his boots on the hardwood floor. He was dressed as casual as he was yesterday. I saw him scan the room from the kitchen to the living room. I put my mail on the counter in the kitchen. I asked him if he wanted a drink. He opts for a beer and I grabbed two for us. When I turned around and started walking to where I last left him. He was sitting on the couch looking through my notes. For some reason that got me really nervous. Some of these lyrics were not so good. I had some choruses that were great or some lines that were good but they were highlighted. I saw that he got the pile without highlights. Those were the ones I haven't shuffled and got what I wanted out of them. I saw him looking at them really concentrating on what they meant. He looked over at me as I put our beers on the table and he smiled. I just let him go. He went through half the pile in about 10 minutes. I was done my beer and he only took a few swigs. I could tell somewhere really well when he smiled but most of the time he was straight faced. This kind of worried me. I don't even remember what half of them said. I was getting up to go get another beer when he spoke up sitting the pile he hasn't read down and looked at me.
"So all of these are written by you? All without someone else, and no one else has read them?" He said kind of stern toned and I felt as if bad news was coming.
"Yeah…" I said and put my head down. He put the papers in my lap and I looked at him. He was drinking his beer and held onto it.
"Read me some." He said. I looked confused at him. I looked at the papers then back at him with a confused expression on my face. "I want to hear your voice read them. Read them like how you wrote them." He said. Still looking at me with a blank expression on his face. I was so unsure on what he was doing. So I started to read the one he placed on top.
"It's like a bolt of lightning hits me in my chest right out of the blue every time I see you, every time I see you…."I started but he interrupted me.
"Sing it. Like how you want it to sound when everything is behind it." He said leaning back. I got really red. I am bashful when it comes to my singing. I really haven't since church when I was 15.
"I can't sing…" I said.
"Sure you can. Just let it out." He said. Staring me right in the eyes. I took a deep breath and started singing.
"It's like a bolt of lightning hits me in the chest right out of the blue. Every time I see you. Every time I see youuu. Top of the world, I'm standing rocking at my best. Then I look like a fool. Every time I see you. Every time I see youuu. You're like a wreck out on the high way, I can't look away and I can't pass through. You're like an early morning Monday bringing me down, messing with my mood. I'd love to say I can hold myself together but I can't help but come unglued. Every time I see you. Every time I see youuu." I sung ending it there because the rest of the page was scribbles. I was blushing so much after I was done. I didn't look at him. I felt his hand turn my head to him and he was sitting closer and his face was closer.
"Now that is a wonderful voice. You singing to me showed me how much emotion and effort you put into this song. I know that it's not done. No song can last this long with only that little bit. That would last a minute and a half at most if you drew it out. It's halfway done. This song is brilliant. I also like this one." He said holding up a piece of paper in his hand that only had about a few lines. "This is really not done but I feel like later down the road I'll be inspired to help you finish this. Now what do you say about the song you sang. Do you think it could become a song on my newest record that I'm currently in the middle of recording?"He said
"Yes." Was all I could say. His words were swirling around in my head. I couldn't think too much. I was so flattered by what he said to me.
"Good, now let's have a couple more beers while finishing these lyrics and giving this song a name." He said finally smiling at me. I knew I was going to go somewhere now. My dream of making it was becoming even closer.
We were off making notes about the song. He asked me questions about what I thought this song was about and he wrote down some lyrics. We had about 2 more beers each when he was done writing down a bunch of lyrics. We looked at them and we then used my computer to write it all down. We had two different endings that he put. He wanted me to sing the whole thing. Both of them. I had more butterflies than before. The second one I sang so much better. I could feel that I did. I looked at him when I finished it and he had a huge smile on his face. He actually clapped for me. I knew that I was blushing. He told me that is going to be the song he'll put on his record. He said he will be done in two months of recording. I was excited. Luke loved one of my songs. Well now our song.
"I think in a month I'll hopefully have an Idea for this." he said holding up that piece of paper again. I didn't know what it said because he now had it folded up. He put it into his wallet and set his wallet on the table. I looked at him.
"Which lyrics is that?
"You'll see. If you don't mind that is. If you don't want me taking it then I won't." He said.
"No no no. It's okay. If you think you can make that into a hit then go for it." I said smiling
"Good." He said looking at his watch and his face lit up."Well damn. It's 6:30 already. What are your plans tonight darlin?" He asked. When he called me that my heart melts.
"Sitting and watching TV?" I asked unsure.
"Would it be alright if I changed those?" He asked.
"Depends. I ain't singing in front of a group of people." I said scared that would be what he has planned.
"Oh no. You are clear of that…. for now. I'm talking about going back to my place cause at 8 I'm having the guys over for some redneck crazy fun." He said with a smirk.
"I guess I can push those important plans aside." I said smiling and with that he grabbed my hand lifting me off the couch with him. I lost my balance as he did that and started falling. He caught me and stared straight into my eyes.
"You know. You have some beautiful eyes." He said.
"Thank you." I said and he smiled.
He helped me onto my feet and we walked out the door. He drove his truck back to his place while I got to sit next to him watching him as he hummed along to songs in his truck. I didn't even know what he meant by redneck crazy fun but I was hoping it was going to be as fun as he made it sound.