Chapter 22 - Alive And Well

~Nikki's Point of View~

I woke up in the hospital about a week ago learning I was in a serious car accident. I got hit by a drunk driver. Luke explained everything one day to me. He seemed like garbage the day I woke up. He had pockets under his eyes. his face was more scruffy than he liked to keep it. His hair was untamed. His closed were extremely wrinkled. Today he seemed clean and well rested. I made him sleep at home. He needed it. I wanted to sleep at home instead of this bed. They told me I could go home today and I was so happy. My ribs had to have a little more time to heal and my stitches would be taken out in a week.
I had to be wheeled out the Luke's truck because walking seemed so hard to do. Luke helped me into the truck and shut the door for me. I buckled myself in and just laid my head back. I didn't have the bandage on my head anymore. I did feel pain because they only gave me not so strong painkillers like when I first woke up.
Luke got into the driver's seat. I heard him breath hard then turn on the engine. He has been by my side this whole time. Miranda was telling me that Luke was so lost when I wasn't awake. She told me Jason said that he never seen Luke run and drive so fast to get to the hospital. They also saw him. She said he cried a lot because he was scared that I wouldn't wake up. She said he never lost faith though. Blake told me I can see how that this man loves me. He said that he would give his life up just so I could live mine. Luke never left my side. He was worried and a complete wreck. He even canceled meetings for his next tour.
I smiled out the window and then looked at Luke who was concentrating on the road. His right arm was resting on the center consol. I lifted my left arm even though it hurt to put my hand on top of his. He looked over at me and smiled. He flipped his hand so we could lace our fingers together.
We got back to the house and I missed it so much. Luke said he was going to help me into the house. It was a little difficult. I got in and went straight for the couch. I sat back on it and made a sigh but it was a happy sigh. Luke got me some tea and sat next to me. We just relaxed being happy to be home.

"I'm glad to finally have you home again." Luke said.
"I'm glad to be home with you again." I looked at him and scooted closer to him and he put an arm around my shoulders and I leaned into his chest.
"You don't know how scared I was when I got the call. I don't know what I would do without you. I am so relieved to be able to have you in my arms again." He kissed my head.
"I don't ever want to leave Luke. I don't know what I could ever do without you either. You're my world." I looked up at him and he smiled. We kissed and then there was a knock on the door. I rolled my eyes.
"Want me to tell them your resting?" He knew I really just wanted to relax. I shook my head and he got up and went to the door. He then came back and sat next to me. "It was my manager. I told him I can't talk today. You just got home and it's gonna be all about you today and tomorrow. Full or relaxation and I'm going to take care of my princess." He kissed my fore head.

I was sitting in the Den Luke had full of deer heads, pictures, and everything hunting and fishing related. I was reading a book called Angela's Ashes. He was making dinner for us. When it was done he set it all out on the back pourch. We ate while the sun set. He did the dishes and told me to come in. He made a nice bubbled bath for me in our jacoozie tub. He joined me.
The next day was breakfast in bed. He rubbed my feet. Cuddled with me. We watched movies and sat out by the lake. We were fishing in our catfish pond. He then brought up the wedding. I forgot about it.

"So are we still getting married in May?" He said casting out his rod. I was rolling mine back in.
"Yeah. Did you get the things I picked for the wedding out the truck?" I asked hoping he did.
"I didn't see it. I grabbed everything I saw. Nothing wedding related was there."
"Well I already got my dress." I smiled wide casting out with my good arm.
"Oh? What's it look like."
"Can't tell you. You're gonna have to wait for that sir."
"So how about today we go back to that place and pick out what we want?"Luke asked.
"After I catch this damn fish that keeps nibblin." I said determined.
"That's my baby."

I finally caught the fish and it was big. She was a good sized catfish. We were going to cook her up later and eat her. Luke drove to the place I was the night of my accident. They were all sympathetic for me. They even remembered what I picked.  Luke was here to make things definite and we ordered what we needed. We already had everything done for the wedding besides picked a place and got caterers. When we got back to the house there was a vehicle parked and two people sitting on our front porch. I looked at Luke and he just smiled.
When we got closer I noticed it was his parents. We got out of the vehicle and greeted them. They were going to stay for the week of Christmas. It was the 22nd and they were staying till the 29th. I was happy to see them again. They were both careful when they hugged me. I talked to them about how I felt and showed them some of the markings. The one on my head was doing very well. My ribs were the only thing that really hurt me the most.
We all ate dinner and relaxed. When Luke and I were in bed we talked about Christmas and he said not to worry he got his parent's things form both of us. I forgot to ever pick up what I got him for Christmas. I was going to text Miranda the next day and ask her if she could take me. I would just tell Luke I miss my best friend and he would say have fun. This was going to be a pain in the ass not having a vehicle.
Miranda picked me up the next day and we went out and got what I had to for Luke. I know he was going to love it. Miranda helped me wrap the gifts. We hung out and had lunch together. Luke texted me on and off to make sure I was okay. He was paranoid since the accident. I could understand. He told me to invite Miranda and Blake for dinner. I arrived with both of them and we had dinner with Luke's parents.
Luke's mother and I were sitting outside while the boys were messing around at the our pond.

"I'm glad you're alright sweetie." Leclair said.
"Thanks. Me too. I'm lucky from what the truck looks like."
"Yeah Luke showed me the pictures on his phone. God was with you. I know Luke is more than happy to have you back here with him. He called us almost every day. I've never heard him so heartbroken since Chris and Kelly." His mom trailed off.
"I'm lucky to have your son as my soon to be husband ma. I'm greatful you gave birth to such a wonderful man. He makes me happy and I'm glad I have the same effect on him." I said looking out to him with his father walking back towards us girls.
"I'm greatful you're here for him. I can't wait to call you my daughter-in-law." She said.
"I can't wait either." I thought about never having a mom before. I don't know what it's like because my dad never even had another woman. I grew up with three men. Uncle Mike always had different women in and out of his life but they didn't mean much. "I consider you the mom I never had." After I said it I realized I said what I thought outloud. I looked at her and she had tears in her eyes. She hugged me since we were on the bench and she cried.
"I'm happy you feel that way. I know you never had a mama in your life. I'll always be here for you." She said it brought tears to my eyes. The guys walked up to us with puffy red eyes. We were wiping away the tears and they looked at us. We both smiled and they nodded.

When it was time for all of us to go to bed we all went where we were suppose to. I changed into a night gown because it felt more comfortable then tight clothing on my ribs. I laid on my back and waited for Luke to get into bed. I had my eyes closed and heard him fumbling to take off his clothes. I giggled hearing him almost fall. Then it got quiet and he stopped moving. I opened my eyes and looked at him staring at the gifts in the corner. Miranda and I were able to get passed him and put them up here because he was occupied talking to blake and his parents in the dining room.

"What are these?" He asked me sitting on the edge of the bed.
"Presents for you for Christmas. Don't touch."
"Baby, you didn’t have to get me anything. Especially all that!" he got up and climbed in next to me.
"I wanted to. I know you'll love them. When I saw them I just imagined you having them with that gorgeous smile you plaster on your face every morning.
"I love anything you give me." He said laying down and I cuddled up to him. "Do the cuts still hurt on your arm?" He said before placing his hand on my arm.
"No. The stiches come out the 27th." I smiled happily.
"Ribs still hurt I bet."
"Yeah, I'll get over it."
"Strong woman." he said kissing my forehead.
"Luke."
"Yes baby."
"I had a talk with your mama earlier that made us cry." I started to explain and thought about it again.
"I was going to ask but you both seemed like it wasn't that bad so my dad and I thought it was better you two bring it up to one of us."
"Well. I never got to know what it feels like to have a mom. To have a woman care for me in a way that only mothers do. It's like when you learn how to ride a bike and fall down. Mama is the one who come and cleans the scrape on your knee. She is the one that rocks you to sleep after a bad dream. My dad did all that the best he could as a dad. I told your mom…. I'm lucky and grateful to have you. Thanks to you she is like the mom I never had. I finally get to experience it." I said with tears forming. He held me tighter but not too much to hurt my ribs. He lifted up my chin and looked into my eyes.
"I know that made her so happy. I wouldn't want to share my mom with any other woman than you. I'm grateful and lucky to have you. It will always be forever and the paper of marriage will only show it on paper but in my heart it proves it will be." He said and kissed me. I had tears run down my face.
"I love you Luke."
"I love you too Nikki."

With that we fell asleep in each others arms.