Chapter 28 - Jail Time

~Nikki's Point Of View~

I wake up in camo sheets and an arm around me. I turn to see Luke sleeping. I then feel pain in my neck and head. I move my arm to feel the back of my head and then remember last night. That was one of the scariest nights of my life. I then move my hand down to my throat. It hurt to touch some of it. I then I start to tear up. I felt so violated. I don't remember anything after I stabbed him with the key.
I turned all the way around and hugged onto Luke. I felt his grip get tighter. I started to cry into his chest. I couldn't help it. Last night scared the shit out of me. I wanted to not cry and be strong but I couldn't last night I was strong. I felt Luke rub my back and hum to me. He hummed rock of ages. I slowly stopped crying and listened to him while he finished it. I looked up at him and he kissed my forehead.

"Hey baby, how do you feel?" He questioned.
"Sore." I told him in a hoarse voice. It hurt to talk.
"There is only one thing you got to do today which is go see the police and file papers against the man that assaulted you and then the rest of the day we will rest. I'll get you ice cream, make you breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can lay on the couch with Spinee and we can watch movies and just have a calm quiet day." He smiled to me. I nodded.

We got up and got a shower. I looked in the mirror and saw the huge bruises on my neck. I slowly lifted my fingers up to touch them. It did hurt. They were bruising quickly. I flashed back to staring the man in the face. He looked familiar but he didn't at the same time. I rubbed my neck as I saw Luke come up behind me naked. Luke kissed my shoulder and held me from behind. I grabbed his hand with my hand and leaned my face to his. I felt his scruff against my skin. When I felt him I felt safe. I felt at peace. I mostly felt happy. This is where I wanted to be. This is what made me feel like nothing ever happened.
He did make me breakfast. He made me blueberry pancakes with sausage links. They were the small ones I loved. We ate together in silence. It was just so good I'm glad we did. I don't know why but I was extremely hungry. I needed my energy. I was going to go to the station and file assault charges against this man who did this to me. I wanted to help Luke with the dishes but he told me it's my day to relax. I just smiled at him as he washed them. I texted people back on my phone because they were concerned. Jess sent me a million texts wanting to know everything. Luke said he was going to call her later. We went upstairs and got presentable.
We headed to the police station and he asked for the officer. I talked as little as possible. They took pictures of my bruises and had a record of what I told that that I remember what happened. I told them the details of me calling Luke to dropping the phone to stabbing the man to trying to him in the balls. I then picked him out of a line up. He looked awfully familiar. When they said his name I freaked.

"No. That is not Everett Marsh." I said and they told me it was.
"He…He…He is the man that went bat shit crazy at the rodeo after they kicked him out. He shot a few bull and cows to get back at Uncle Mike." I said in a rough voice but the cops looked at me.
"Ma'am you know him personally?"
"That fucking bastard is weird. He is my age. His full name is Everett David Marsh. He grew up in Dallas Texas most of his life. He moved to the town I was in. He joined the ranch when he was 17. There was a friendship we had until he tried things then my dad jumped his shit. He hated me and my father ever since. Then one day my uncle caught him messing with a cow if you know what I mean. He fired him and told him to go away. He then was arrested for killing the animals. I haven't seen him since he got pulled away in the cop car." I told the cops. They looked up his record.
"Well looks like Mrs. Bryan is right." The one guy said.
"He is actually on parole right now for robbery." The other guy said looking at the screen.
"Looks like he is going away for a long while." The first one said.

Luke and I left the station. He did exactly as he promised. He made us sandwiches for lunch. He called Jess and told her how I was. I told him I wanted to talk the bare minimum because my throat hurt. He went out and got me my favorite ice cream which is resses of course. He made dinner and I had ice cream for dessert. We then cuddled up with a blanket on the couch while the dog laid by our feet and we watched funny movies.
I may have had one of the worst days yesterday but today makes up for it. Luke is so sweet to me and care about me beyond what I ever thought someone that isn't family would. We had a perfect life right now. We are so in love with each other, we have the perfect house on the perfect land, we have the perfect trucks, and the perfect dogs. We have the greatest friends anyone could ask for. The only thing missing would be children.
I could wait for that though. I don't want to wait too long but I do want Luke to myself for a little while longer. I wouldn't be able to go on tour being pregnant or would I? Luke wouldn't want to be on tour for when the baby comes. Knowing him he would cancel his tour hoping that his fans would understand.
I snuggled up tighter to him during the second movie we put on. He held me closer too. We would both laugh together at Larry The Cable Guy. We had the health inspector on. It would hurt me to laugh a little bit because of my throat.
It was time for us to go to bed. Luke called the dog and he followed us as we went upstairs. I got changed and so did he. I laid on the bed and I felt Luke sit by my feet. He turned around Indian style. He was smiling up at me. He grabbed my feet and put them on his lap. He gave me a foot massage. It felt so good. When he finished he crawled all the way up the bed to my face and kissed me. I deepened it. He pulled away and kissed my forehead before pulling the covers over both of us. I cuddled into him that night. I was slowly falling asleep. Luke was playing with my hair when I finally was out and sound asleep.