Chapter 5 - Jack On A Tailgate

We stopped at a liquor store on the way there. He asked me what did I love to drink. I told him with a bottle of Jack I'll be good for all night. I was willing to pay for it myself but he wouldn't let me. He told me save that for when he forgets his wallet. I looked at him with a look that questioned why but he ignored it and just laughed. We carried out a case of miller, a case of bud, and my jack. We got back to his place and put the beer in two big horse buckets. He went inside his house while I opened up the cases and started putting them in. I was so into it I didn't hear him come back. I just felt something cold slide down my spine and I screamed jumping over the bucket trying to get it out of my shirt. I heard Luke busting out laughing. I just stared at him. He looked at me who was now chasing him. I heard Luke yell something but I couldn’t understand what until I felt someone grab me. I screamed and was about to start kicking till they set me down.

"Hold on cowgirl. Whatcha chasen good ol Luke for?" Jason Aldean said. I looked at where Luke was and he was walking back laughing.
"It's alright Jason. She was tryna get me back for putting ice down her shirt." Luke said laughing again as he got up to us. He gave Jason a bro hug and he looked back at me.
"Girl can run." Jason said.
"She jumps like a deer too. Girl was straight out of the air and over the water halls." Luke said. I just shook my head and walked back to what I was doing. "What?" He said then I heard Jason say something but I was already too far away.

I got the ice in there and all of the drinks. I heard some up behind me and I turned quickly. Luke had his hands up in the air with a cup in one and my Jack in the other. He was smiling. I shook my head and grabbed a miller out and opened it. He looked at me confused.

"I'll trade ya." I said smirking.
"Hmm. I don't know if this is a fair trade. I already poured you some into a cup with ice, and you just opened a can. Hmm." He said coming close to me.
"Well, darn. I thought I was gonna get tipsy tonight. Oh well I guess this nice cold beer will do so much nicer." I said putting my lips to the can and he shook his head at me and handed over the drink. I handed over the beer while grabbing the cup then the bottle. I then saw him fumbling in his pockets grabbing his keys.
"Here. Go get my truck so we can have something to put our drinks on and sit. Jason's bringing his over here with Jess. I'll watch your drink while you're gone. I won't drink any. Pinky promise." He said laughing. I just shook my head.
"You trust me with your truck?" I asked.
"Well yeah, you drove me in yours last night so I think I can."
"Okay then. You can have a sip of my jack." I said smiling. He looked at me and shook his head.

I almost got into his truck when I heard someone yell at me. I looked over and it was Jake Owen. He pulled up next to the truck asking me what was I doing with Luke's truck. I told him and he whistled then sped off. I was so confused. By time I got back to the spot there was a fire already going. I backed up next to Jason's leaving enough room and got out. I handed Luke back the keys and smiled putting them in his pocket. The more people started to arrive the more I knew who they were and only a few of them knew me. When Miranda and Blake got there she came over and hugged me. We girls were already off in our own conversation and Jessica who is Jason's wife joined in. They were talking about how I was going to become a very successful writer. Jason showed Jess the lyrics and she said that I was talented. She said I could so much more than just write for these guys. Then as girls we got into talking about guys. Miranda and Jess told me how they met their men. Then they got into asking me.
"So do you have a man?" Jess asked me taking a sip of her beer. I shook my head and took a big gulp of my jack. Then filled up the bottle.
"Why? You're beautiful. Did you leave him behind?" Miranda asked putting her hand on my shoulder.
"I fell for a guy when I was 23. I went to school in California for a few years. We were complete opposites. He was a metal head, I was a country girl. He loved wearing black. I loved bright colors. He was in a band and well I liked writing lyrics. At that time I wanted to teach children. I got my education degree but never perused it. I rather of helped out at the rodeo or wrote songs or produced, but back to him. I was extremely into him and he did like me. We dated while I was in college. He was going on tour and I wish I could go along but pa would be so disappointed. Christmas we both went to my pa's in Texas. Pa took one look at him and decided to hate him. He gave me this whole speech of he is closer to the devil than I should be. Pa being a preacher and all worried about my pure soul. I didn't talk to my dad until I got done college and graduated which he went to. The guy broke my heart by cheating on me while he was on tour. I couldn't help but not feel some hateful way towards myself and him and I tried dating since just haven't found someone to lift me off my feet. Ya know?" I said as they hung on every word. Miranda and Jess hugged me.
"Don't worry. My sister had the same shit happen. Now she is happy with two kids. It took her a long while but she is more than happy in her relationship." Jess said.
"You'll find him honey. You're young. Look at you. You have beautiful eyes, gorgeous curly hair; you're tall and not too skinny. Plus you have an amazing personality. What guy would want you…."Miranda was saying till she was interrupted.
"Me." Blake said coming up kissing his wife. "Sorry but I got the love of my life." He continued and I just nodded.
"Very understandable. I doubt I'd be able to break up such a great couple. I don't wreak houses so I would suck at trying." I said and they all laughed.
Everything kept going on and we joined the group by the fire. I had about two shots left in my jack and I was feeling it. I put them in my cup and walked to put the glass bottle where all the other bottles and cans were going. When I turned around I could see how happy everyone was. The conversation Jess, Miranda, and I had stuck in my mind. I just looked at the ground and kept replaying what was said. The thought of being 40 and alone went through my head. I just looked back at everyone who was laughing and decided to head back to try to change my mood.
I sat on the back of Luke's truck. Someone's truck was playing I'm a man of constant sorrows by the soggy bottom boys. I got lost in the song and started singing it.
"You can bury me in some deep valley, for many years where I may lay. Then you may learn to love another. While I am sleeping in my grave. Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger my face you never will see no more. But there is one promise that is given. I'll meet you on gods golden shore…." I sang and swayed back and forth. My eyes opened and I was looking at the fire when the song ended. People were looking at me. My eyes got wide and Luke walked over to me.
"Now you believe me huh?" He asked people.
"Well hell, why are you writing songs not singing them?" Jason asked.
"Huh?" I asked  confused.
"You were singing out loud sweetheart." Miranda said.
"Damn." I said looking down at my hands and my cup. I was tipsy. "Oh well." I said looking up to smile at Luke who was closer then what I remember. My eyes got wide.
"So getting you drunk makes you sing in front of people?" He asked sitting next to me.
"Yeah. I guess so. I don't get drunk in front of people often." I said.
"Can you dance like me?" He asked
"Pfffft. I can't shake my ass like that." I said and heard him laugh loudly with someone else. Which was Blake because he walked up.
"Well you're dancing and singing with me to this next song." Luke said walking away. I just stared at where he left.
"You are in for it. He is drunk."Blake said.
"Me too." I said with beat red cheeks Luke comes back and puts my cup down dragging me with him.
"You got to know this song." He said smiling down at me. And the song Whiskey Girl started playing. And I squealed with happiness.
We started singing along to it and dancing. I had so much courage and looked at him and me having fun. Jason joined us along with some other chick and Jake Owen. Jess joined us. Luke and I sang at the same time.
"She aint into wine and roses. Beer just makes her turn up her noise and she can't stand the thought of a sip of champagne. No quervo no gold margarita. There aint no burn in margarita. She needs something with a little more edge and a little more pain. She's my little whiskey girl." we sang together and looked at each other while doing it.
Then the guitar solo came in and I danced my ass off. I kept singing whether they were or not. I was into the song and into dancing. Luke at the end started to dance with me and sing yeah I like them rough. When the song ended, he had his arms around my waist and his lips to my ear and repeated, "Yeah I like them rough." which made me giggle and turn around to look at him. He was staring down at me.
"That was cute and your dancing was sexy so you can dance and sing." he said leaning closer to me.
"I guess so." I said smiling up at him.
"What else can you do?" He asked being really close to my lips. I could smell the miller on his breath. It was almost making me more intoxicated than I already was...
"I...I can play violin… and…"I said looking up at him who was staring into my eyes and I was staring back.
"And what baby?"He said. We both got even closer turning our heads.
"Banjo." I said. He pulled away a little and looked at me.
"You're even hotter in my book now." He said leaning in and kissing me rough.
He had his hands on my hips and they were pushing me closer into him. I put my arms around his neck and into his hair knocking his hat off. He didn't even care. We heard whistling right before we pulled away and he looked into my eyes. Then turned his head looking at everyone who was whistling. Then he turned back to me smiling. He kissed me real quick on my lips and then stood up straight. That made my hands slide down to his shoulders.

"Hey, I know this is your house and all but get a room!" Blake yelled and then laughed along with Jason.
"I gotta make sure all ya drunken asses don't burn anything!" Luke said turning his gaze from me to them. He slid his hands a little further till he was touching the top of my jeans.
"Don't worry man. We aren’t that drunk yet!" Jake yelled from the top of his truck shirtless. We all stared at him and laughed. He had a beer in hand and chugged it. Throwing it into the fire. Luke looked back down at me.
"I'll finish this later." He said releasing me making my hands go to my sides. "Since you're done your jack, grab a beer." He said smirking.
"Want one?" I asked. He nodded his head yes. As I turned and started to walk I felt a hand collide with my right ass cheak and then. "Fuck!"
I turned around to see Luke winking at me. Oh I see his game he wants to play. I saw he was watching me as I got to the drinks. I slowly bent over and wiggled a little as I grabbed two beers. I got a bottle of bud and he had miller. I walked back to him as he had an eye brow raised. I opened his miller and handed it to him. The bud's were not twist tops so I was gonna have to improvise. I knew what I could do. I tapped my pockets noticing I was empty.

"Need a little help there sweetheart?" Luke said putting his hand out for my beer.
"Can I see any bill. A dollar would do." I said smirking at him.
"Okay?" He said getting his wallet and handing it to me. I looked at him confused and then went in and grabbed a dollar.
"Watch this." I put his wallet in my bra to hold it. I folded up the dollar till I couldn’t fold it any more. Then I put it under the cap and pushed up with my finger and down with my wrist and the top popped off. I undid the dollar and showed him no tears. I got his wallet out and put the dollar back in and handed it to him.
"How'd you learn that?" He asked.
"Let's just say friends who I don't talk to anymore since I got out of college." Taking a swig I saw that he was still staring at me. "What?"
"Nothing." He said smiling and walked away to go talk to someone probably.
It was way after midnight when there were about 5 people left out of about 20. Blake and Miranda went home, but I still had Jess because Jason can never get enough of fires and beer. Luke was talking to Jason and James. Jess and I were sitting on a tailgate. She was talking about how she liked alternative music too. She went into talking a lot about that. Then she saw that I kept staring at Luke. She commented on how she saw us kissing. She said she has a feeling he really wants me. He wouldn't just up and invite me here, and kiss me. She said she knows him from him and Jason becoming best friends. She told me how much of a great guy he is and how he got his heart broken because of his career. She said we both look like we need someone in our lives. We need someone to hold and have fun with. We were in the middle of discussing how does she think that when Jason yelled.
"Everyone is getting wet right now!"