Overwhelmed (one-shot)

He sighed, watching the sun slowly rise over the horizon. Another sleepless night I guess, He thought frustratedly. Sleep desperately tugged at him, urging him into the darkness, but it seemed that no matter what he did he couldn't fall asleep.

Scar trudged to his feet, dirt crumbling beneath his wobbly steps, and headed back toward... well he didn't exactly know. Just wherever his feet ended up carrying him.

He took a deep breath of fresh air, trying to wake himself, but suddenly stopped when a dull pain ached in his chest. Scar coughed out the breath only for the pain to grow sharper.

Panicking, he held his breath. The pain stopped. Slowly, he let out the breath and then breathed in. Eventually he figured out how the pain worked; breath in too deeply and it hurts, cough/sneeze/anything like that and it really hurts.

While he was trying to figure out everything, he had unconsciously walked into the shopping district and it wasn't long before he bumped into someone. "Ah! Oh, sorry Stress," he muttered, backing away.

"It's fine Scar," she replied. She suddenly furrowed her brow in concern. "You okay? Seem tired."

He shook his head. "Yeah, just a bit sleepy..."

Stress put down her shulker box and reached behind him. "What're you doing...?" he asked tiredly. Suddenly he felt a jolt run through him and instinctively flinched away.

She pulled back quickly. "Sorry love!" she apologized. "It's just... hold on a moment." He swayed in placed as Stress pulled out her communicator, setting it to screenshot mode. "Look at you wings," she insisted, showing him the ready-to-take-a-screenshot screen.

Scar stared at the image that looked back at him. "My wings are flickering?" he gasped, only to choke on his own breath as the dull ache returned. "I-I didn't even know I had my wings out!"

"That's why I'm worried," Stress sighed, putting her communicator away. "You look exhausted as well! Haven't you been sleeping."

He shook his head. "Haven't been able to sleep at all." Swaying, he tipped to the side and awkwardly stumbled to regain balance, his eyes flickering between open and closed. Stress rushed to his side and propped him up, slightly struggling against the heavier hermit.

"I'm calling Cleo," she muttered to herself, fumbling for her communicator. Scar gave a hum to show he heard before finally loosing his grasp on reality and falling into sleep.

A loud clatter woke him up, making him jolt up violently. "Ah, sorry Scar!" Stress exclaimed, scrambling to clean up the glass of water she'd dropped.

"Oh good, he's awake!" Cleo's voice called from a different room.

"Uh, hello?" he rasped. He coughed from the sudden cold of Stress' castle finally setting in and was surprised when the ache in his chest had eased.

"Stress we're here!- Ah! Cub calm down!" Xisuma's voice yelped, followed by many rocket bursts. Cub skidded to a stop in front of the archway to his room and dashed in, immediately tackling Scar in a hug.

"ScarIwassoworriedwhydidn'tyousleepyoupassedoutandcouldhavereallyhurtyourself-!"

"Calm down love," Stress said gently, resting a hand on Cub's shoulder. "Let the poor man relax for a minute. He just woke up."

Cub nodded silently, but still held Scar in a tight hug. "I was so worried," he murmured, warm breath feeling comforting against Scar's unusually cold neck.

"Sorry about that," Scar whispered back, not wanting to raise his voice for his chest was starting to hurt again. "Couldn't really sleep."

Cub pulled back and rested his forehead against Scar's, smiling softly. "Just tell me next time alright? We can always figure something out. Do you promise?"

Scar smiled back. "I promise."

   ~*~

hello yes i would like to announce tHAT CONVEX FLUFF IS BEST

oh also his chest was hurting and his vex wings were flickering because his magic was going haywire because he hadn't slept for so long and wasn't used to staying awake for that long