Interceptive Memories (one-shot)

that last chapter was a mistake-

   ~*~

Impulse growled and loaded up an arrow, preparing to shoot at a phantom. "Intercept, now would be a good time for some help," he muttered.

His shadow in the weak moonlight slowly morphed into a black wisp with red glowing eyes. It shot itself into Impulse's arrow, making it swirl with black smoke, and he swiftly fired. The arrow swerved slightly and struck the phantom, instantly disintegrating it into white smoke.

The black spirit made a laughing noise and formed into a more solid shape. A copy of Impulse in a multitude of dark gray shades drifted beside the regular Impulse, it's solid red eyes glowing ominously in the dark.

"Thanks Intercept," Impulse sighed, smiling weakly at his shadow. "You're a big help at night, even if you aren't at your strongest."

"Happy to help!" Intercept giggled, saluting. "It's more fun at night anyways! So uh, where were we going again? I forgot." The shadow smiled awkwardly, floating around Impulse.

Impulse rolled his eyes. "Mumbo's place. I gotta drop something off." He took out a handful of fireworks and lit up one, rocketing through the dark sky.

"Couldn't have done it in the morning?" Intercept asked, following his owner as black wisps trailed behind his floating feet. "Night's pretty dangerous with all the phantoms and stuff." He rolled on his back and put his hands behind his head, lazily continuing to trail after Impulse.

Impulse shrugged, continuing to glide toward Mumbo's base. "I'm not busy and I've got nothing better to do, so why not?"

The two continued making bits of small talk, joking around and talking about stuff happening on the server, before dropping straight into Mumbo's base. "Mumbo?" he called into the base, assuming the noirette was awake since all the lights were on.

"Hey Impulse!" Mumbo's voice exclaimed, the owner of said voice stepping out of his bedroom with messy hair. "Need something?" Mumbo didn't even flinch when seeing the faint shadow floating around Impulse, used to seeing the shadows following the players.

"Oh, just came to give you some stuff," Impulse replied, taking out a shulker box filled with redstone components. "Thanks for helping me out earlier. Thought I'd return the unused supplies."

Mumbo's "thank you" barely registered in his head as static started to ring through Impulse's ears."Ḧ̸̲̞́̅e̴̙̭͝ͅ ̴̬͋̂ć̷̱̐̎͜a̵̭̥̪̍̆n̸̺̩̺̋̉́ ̸̧̪͎͌̉͆s̸͙̗̮̄ȩ̷̮͈͌è̸̙̬̐ ̴̛͚̘̏ṃ̸̋̐ë̷̢̮̹̾͝," Intercept's voice hissed. The shadow darted forward and glared straight at Mumbo, hardly an inch from his face. "H̴̦̰͈̏ ̶̡̩͚̒Ô̸̜͎͠ ̴̹͉̹̈́̈́W̶͚͙̐̕ ̸̲̮͉̅́?̸͉̫̮͂͛"

Impulse stared between the startled Mumbo and glitching Intercept. "Can... can you really see him?" Impulse asked slowly. "Can you see my shadow?"

Mumbo gulped and stared back at Impulse, a mixture of fear and shock in his dark eyes. "Y-yes," he whispered back. "Yes I can."

"You idiot!" a new voice hissed. A duplicate of Mumbo in shades of dark gray swerved around regular Mumbo and glared at him with the same piercing red eyes as Intercept. "You're not supposed to tell anyone!"

"S-sorry!" he squeaked, holding his hands up in defense against the shadow. "I-I just got scared!"

"You always get scared!" his shadow snapped, glaring down at his owner. "That's why you can never get things right!"

"Wait, you have a sentient shadow too?!" Impulse interrupted, ignoring the hostile glare from Mumbo's shadow. "I thought I was the only one!"

"My name's Memory, thank you very much," Memory retorted bitterly. "And of course you're not the only fucking one! Everyone has their own shadow that's the embodiment of their negative thoughts! Did stupid little Intercept over here never tell you?!"

"Oi!" Intercept snapped, staring piercingly at the other shadow. "It's not my fault he never asked about it!"

Impulse sighed, watching the two bicker and Mumbo helplessly watch from the side with a look of pure confusion. This was going to be a long night.

   ~*~

ooooohhhhh looks like Mumbo's not the only one with shadow powers! Also I nearly lost this entire chapter because wattpad glitches on me -.-

(side note about part 69: it was originally going to be an orgy with every. Single. Hermit.)